Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Ex
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I initially got my 2109 Sorento EX I had no problem putting gasoline in the tank. For an unknown reason, for the past few months every time I go to put gas in the tank the gas backs up in the filler tube and keeps stopping like the tank is full when it's no where near close to full. I have to fill the tank at a painfully slow rate to get it to fill the tank. It occurs at different gas stations so it's not isolated to one place. I know it's not a huge deal but it's annoying as hell. Has anyone else experienced this or know why it occurs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It happens with my 2020 Sportage but not every time. I have to check after it auto shuts off and keep adding gas slowly. If I just trust it to be full without checking it will often only be 3/4 to 7/8 full. Other times it will fill up at auto shut-off. Probably has to do with the flow rate of the gas pump.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
480 Posts
It means your tank isn't venting properly. Possibly a clog in the vent tube (which you can probably see from the fill area.. it runs back up the filler neck. Or something clogging up the canister or the fuel tank air filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had this problem for the entire time I have owned our 2012 Sorento. Very annoying! My hubby calls it “humping the pump.” I have found that turning the nozzle “up-side-down” (handle & “trigger” on top) or to the side works most of the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I don’t think its a vent clog or anything “wrong” with the car. I think the design of the filler pipe/tank is just problematic with high flow rate pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts