Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sephia 2 1997 Manual transmission, my gas consumption is averaging 9km/l. I think this number is below the ideal average.

Would you tell me please how is your average?
And would anyone please tell me if there is a Check Engine light in this model. because I have checked the gauges panel and couldn't find any?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
NO one believes me when I say this but on my 10 gallon tank I used to get 400+ miles when I first bought my 95 sephia in 97, lately though I'd put that number in the high 20's it's been sitting for 2 years and I'm bringing it back from the dead slowly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine depends on how I drive. If I do mostly fwy driving at 65 mph I get 34-35 mile/gallon. That is around 14.5 km/liter. Make sure your tire pressure is correct and also spark plugs/wires/airfilter are all in good shape. Driving habits and also traffic have important effects. Also depends on how you measure it, usually you should average over couple of refills.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Hi all here's a link to an article in the Guardian which may be of interest to you;

Guardian article

I've been trying to tell everyone this for a long time but it may help others understand a little better.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
hey lafi a 1997 sephia is not a sephia 2 its the 1st generation sephia so sephia 1 it is..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1997 Kia Sephia GS with 73,000 miles. When I first got the car two years ago I could get about 30 MPG, (10 gallon tank divided by 300 +/- 20 miles), from it. Today I’m lucky to get 20 miles per gallon from her. I’ve given the car a tune up, (which it didn’t need). The car idles rough, which it always has. The mechanic says that all 4 cylinders run rough. However I only had a three cylinder vehicle that ran that rough. My question is, the can burns no oil, and the compression is normal in each cylinder. What could be the problem? I spoke with another mechanic and he told me that the gas companies are oxygenating the gas which results in poor mileage. Could this be the case?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by ickis@Jan 16 2006, 12:23 PM
I have a 1997 Kia Sephia GS with 73,000 miles. When I first got the car two years ago I could get about 30 MPG, (10 gallon tank divided by 300 +/- 20 miles), from it. Today I’m lucky to get 20 miles per gallon from her. I’ve given the car a tune up, (which it didn’t need). The car idles rough, which it always has. The mechanic says that all 4 cylinders run rough. However I only had a three cylinder vehicle that ran that rough. My question is, the can burns no oil, and the compression is normal in each cylinder. What could be the problem? I spoke with another mechanic and he told me that the gas companies are oxygenating the gas which results in poor mileage. Could this be the case?

Thanks for the help!!!
There is a reason for your car running rough. I don't understand how the mech decided that all 4 cylinders are running rough. You might be able to determine that one cylinder is not running at all, but they can not run rough individually.
I think you need a new mech; have the computer scanned for codes, autozone does that for free and if you get anything start there. Make sure your tires have enough air too. Your mileage is not high and should be getting decent gas mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts