Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
I drive a lot of highway miles...I have 165,000 on my 2012 EX with 2.4. Poor performance of no power, lack of shifting yielded a holiday trip to the mechanic.

Both Catalytic converters are plugged big time. $4400 to fix. Crap! All but $500 is parts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
Maybe you can go aftermarket? Then do it, Or if need be get some one to do it? If it's not an emission state, I'd just hollow them out.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,729 Posts
I drive a lot of highway miles...I have 165,000 on my 2012 EX with 2.4. Poor performance of no power, lack of shifting yielded a holiday trip to the mechanic.

Both Catalytic converters are plugged big time. $4400 to fix. Crap! All but $500 is parts
$500 to install CAT's - what a rip-off artist.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
Cat's for any vehicle are very expensive, particularly when has to comply along with California cert(like here in NY)! But labor seems steep for a 4 cyl.! Thankfully I've NEVER had to replace a Cat on any vehicle I've owned, I don't understand how I keep reading of such problems on many of the forums I participate on. With a proper running engine(maintained), My vehicles are still on original Cat's and as old as 21 years and as much as 200k miles. Our Spectra (2009) being newest yr. with 135k miles and going strong after initial maint./repairs I did as posted on my thread on the Cerato/Shuma/Spectra page of "looking for help to solve code of P0139". Was worried when we fist bought it WELL USED of the Cat's...But all has been fine.
SORRY to hear of your ride's problem!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Were you looking for suggestions here?

What about @MikDee suggestion?
Um, we have emissions in WA. Not sure what state doesn't, but we do. Car was maintained and driven highway miles. It basically thru a clot...maybe it's because its a GDI???

And you can google the cost of having both cat's replaced. Parts are expensive, labor isn't...Car's value isn't worth replacing the Cats.

Reason for the posting of this is to make people aware of the cost of this...

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,729 Posts
Um, we have emissions in WA. Not sure what state doesn't, but we do. Car was maintained and driven highway miles. It basically thru a clot...maybe it's because its a GDI???

And you can google the cost of having both cat's replaced. Parts are expensive, labor isn't...Car's value isn't worth replacing the Cats.

Reason for the posting of this is to make people aware of the cost of this...
You didn't make that clear in your first post.

Maybe you can go aftermarket? Then do it, Or if need be get some one to do it? If it's not an emission state, I'd just hollow them out.
Apart from California, aftermarket CAT's aren't illegal.

You can get aftermarket catalytic converters that meet the EPA requirements.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
@ ron1004
IF one is in a state that requires California CARB CERTIFIED parts, like here in NY. Yes aftermarket cat's are made BUT not legal for use in that state unless they are California CARB CERTIFIED. Even rockauto.com shows this disclaimer and if you try and order when you enter your shipping info will block the purchase. I went thru this way back when I was going "nuts" about my P0139 code and began contemplating a bad converter. Certain states have made things extremely hard to do normal repair of some aspects in the name of preserving "air quality"! Your jaw would drop if you saw the paperwork an independant shop has to file for replacing even a certified converter for a customer in NY state.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
Another place to check for cat's is the auto salvage yard. If the car was rear-ended or totaled from a side impact, the cat's may still be good. They would be OEM convertors so they would be California CARB CERTIFIED and should be about half the cost of new parts.

The big question that I see is what made the Cat's go bad to began with? If the cause of the problem is not fixed, the results are going to be the same (the convertors going bad). Convertors do not just go bad as stated above by MIA KIA 09. Rich fuel mixtures, silicone vapors, excessive motor oil usage, bad fuel and motor oil additives are just a few of the things that can kill a convertor.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another place to check for cat's is the auto salvage yard. If the car was rear-ended or totaled from a side impact, the cat's may still be good. They would be OEM convertors so they would be California CARB CERTIFIED and should be about half the cost of new parts.

The big question that I see is what made the Cat's go bad to began with? If the cause of the problem is not fixed, the results are going to be the same (the convertors going bad). Convertors do not just go bad as stated above by MIA KIA 09. Rich fuel mixtures, silicone vapors, excessive motor oil usage, bad fuel and motor oil additives are just a few of the things that can kill a convertor.
1. My bad for not posting this as an FYI for those of you driving Sorento's of this year...

2. Not sure what the cause is of the cat's going bad with blockage as there are no error codes, all maintenance performed as required, only fuel additive was seafoam every oil change at 3 months over the last 2 years. About 90% highway mileage.

3. Not going to a salvage yard as there aren't any Sorento's anywhere...and not sure that is even proper or legal and aren't they scraped for the platinum?

4. Regardless, the cost is prohibitive vs the value of the car.

Thanks for all the feedback and best of luck with your sorento's moving forward. My feeling it has something to do with the way GDI engines work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.