Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
KiA Borrego 2009, V8 EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have Kia Borrego 2009 V8 EX and my instrument panel is not working (the only indicators of lights and airbags are on). The shift is also stuck in one position so I need to use the shift lock release button.
I was told by my mechanic that the fuse box needs to be replaced as the current is melted and then programmer again.

Have been anybody dealing with this issue?
What is the approximately price for programming part?

Thank you for any advises and help.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,436 Posts
Is it possible for you to post a photo or two?

·
Registered
KiA Borrego 2009, V8 EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible for you to post a photo or two?
Hi Lou,

thank you for your interest. Not sure, if those photos will be helpful.
I took a photo of the Inner fuse panel (supposed to be melted) and also engine compartment fuse panel(should be fine).
Providing also a photo of instrument panel.

I had to pulled out some 7.5 fuses and insert them in spots of Memory and IGN1 as these two are still blowing up.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,436 Posts
Looked as closely as possible. Fuse boxes don't appear to be overheated or melted. Not sure I understand comments made about programming. Brake switch fuse ok? Bad brake switch will effect shift Interlock. Possible short in ignition switch will blow fuses....

Reactions: rio-t

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
464 Posts
Hi,
I have Kia Borrego 2009 V8 EX and my instrument panel is not working (the only indicators of lights and airbags are on). The shift is also stuck in one position so I need to use the shift lock release button.
I was told by my mechanic that the fuse box needs to be replaced as the current is melted and then programmer again.

Have been anybody dealing with this issue?
What is the approximately price for programming part?

Thank you for any advises and help.
Depending on how the wiring harness is ran from the factory it my have became pinched with the tilting of the stearing wheel. Before I paid a bunch of money, i would remove the stearing colomn, or gauge cluster, or both to ensure there isn't a pinced wire shorting out. I know how the wiring harness is ran on some newer small kia cars and how easily this could happen. If it continues to blow fuses, then there must be a short somewhere, if you do not have gauge lights, do you have tail lights? you could also try to move the tilt stearing wheel, then replace the fuse, maybe try a 10a, and see if that works. The wiring harness runs out of the fuse box in the cabin straight to the gauge cluster / stearing wheel, you can also check the back side of the fuse panel. keep us posted

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
KiA Borrego 2009, V8 EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sorry for the late response. these days I am pretty busy at work, so I have decided to make an appointment in Kia dealer to look at it. Thank you for your advices. I will use them to navigate a mechanic during the diagnose. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

·
Registered
KiA Borrego 2009, V8 EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,
I got an update on my car.
I was told that the cluster needs to be replaced and then they can continue with diagnosing as they think that there MIGHT be a problem with the smart key control module. The total estimate is over 7K (Remove/replace cluster and install new and re-program keys), so it is worthless for me to get it to fix for that price as I bought it for 5900cad.

Following codes were showed during scan:
P1692- Immobilizer lamp error
P0462- Level Sensor "A" circuit low input
P0650- Malfunction indicator lamp control circuit
---------------------------------------------------------------
Power and ground going to the cluster.

To everybody: please be honest once you sell your car. Me as a newcomer (in Canada) I needed a reliable car and not a wreck which I have used only for 4 months.

Thank you, Lou O. and rio-t for your time.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You will most likely never find an honest dealership, or FSBO. Rare as hens teeth. Human nature. Either by ignorance or many just don't care.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can you get a reman cluster or one out of a salvage yard. Try ebay or amazon. Have a local master mechanic install it and then go from there?

·
Registered
KiA Borrego 2009, V8 EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you get a reman cluster or one out of a salvage yard. Try ebay or amazon. Have a local master mechanic install it and then go from there?
Hi Lou O.

I am awaiting a response from a local/private mechanic. Hopefully, he will be able to replace the panel and handle other issues if anything appears.
Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts