Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sportage turbo that gives off gas like fumes after driving for a bit, say 10 mins or more. When I pull into my garage, turn it off, go into the house and then come back out a few minutes later I can smell gas fumes, pretty bad. Also, if the car is parked outside when I get near it I can smell the fumes. If I start to drive it you can smell the fumes in the cabin for about 30 seconds, unless I set the circulation to inside air only. After about thirty seconds I can go back to outside air. I have not noticed any gas leaks or spots on my drive way. Took it to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong with it. Computer analysis showed no issues. They did say it seemed the fumes were stronger around the turbo area. So as a good faith effort Kia decided to replace the down pipe claiming that the coating on the pipe may be the cause. That didn't work. Now they are saying it is natural for the turbo models to have this smell. One of the techs at the dealership has an Optima with a turbo and says his does smell as well and he has to keep his garage door open until the smell dissipates. So I am wondering is this a design feature for Kias with turbos? Or is there a real problem here? Are there any other owners of Sportages with turbos that have this same issue?

Also, Kia says they have had no other complaints about the smell.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Something is obviously wrong. No way to figure it out from what you've posted, but generally you should never smell raw gas around the engine and particularly in the cabin. That indicates a fuel leak of some kind in the engine area that obviously will be detected in the cabin because the vapors are entering the cabin air intake. I hope you can get them to solve it before the fire happens. One of the first places I would check would be the fuel line pressure relief valve under the hood on the fuel supply line to the fuel log that feeds the injectors. Take the plastic cap off and see if the valve is leaking - it's similar to a tire valve. Don't push it down because it will spray fuel under pressure. It should not be wet or have a strong fuel smell under the cap.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
when you smell the gas fumes is the car parked in the garage and you possibly can be getting some exhaust fumes in to the cabin and the dealer is full of crap i have driven engines with turbos for many years and never have had the raw fuel smell never. i would take it to another dealer if it is indeed raw fuel you are smelling.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Is this an ongoing problem since day one,or something new? Fuel cap on gas tank might not be locked in place,but you probably checked that. This happened to a friend of mine recently,thus the question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for responses. I was told about the gas cap issue. So I make sure, after filling up, the gas cap is turned until it clicks. As far as gas leaks, there has been no spots under the vehicle at all to indicate any leaks, not to say that it is not a possibility. I will check the fuel line pressure relief valve. However, according to the dealership they report no leaks. Computer diagnostices shows nothing wrong :-(. And, unfortunately there is only one Kia dealership in our town. Was wondering about a filter in the airbox that is supposed to trap fumes from escaping to the environment when the vehicle has been turned off. Not too familiar with turbo models, but maybe this is a possibility.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
I also have a 2011 SX turbo and on cold start every so often I can smell a bit of gas fumes when it warms up (30-60 seconds) in the garage. I assume this is the computer making the mixture more fuel rich while it runs at higher rpm on cold start? Maybe it's from the exhaust pipes? Not sure, just guessing as that's the computers way of "quick warming" the engine and catalytic converter and whatnot...

But, after vehicle is warmed up and running I won't smell it. Definetly not after driving and then parking as you state and coming back out to the garage.

I think with the 2012 and 2013 turbos they "smoothed out" the cold startup routine. It doesn't seem as loud and "rattlie" for those first few seconds.

Either way, if it smells that bad for that long there must be something wrong as others stated in this thread. Just keep barking at them. My dealer here in SoCal is like that. Nothing is ever wrong until I gripe about it a few times :-/

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
I think with the 2012 and 2013 turbos they "smoothed out" the cold startup routine. It doesn't seem as loud and "rattlie" for those first few seconds.
You did take the car in and have the TSB performed that all but eliminates the Wastegate rattle upon startup correct? I hated that sound on a cold startup. But now the sound is all but gone after they performed the reflash on my computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am having no luck getting my dealer to do anything else to resolve this issue. I told them I had other turbo vehicles, even have one now, 2002 Subaru WRX that doesn't do that and he told be I'm not comparing apples to apples. The turbo on the sportage is designed differently. So I asked him if this was a feature of the sportage then. Is there a contact within KIA that I could contact? May need to take a trip to Denver and find a dealer there to look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts