Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
99% of the Internet is discussions on synthetic motor oil. :mellow:

That said, I'd use a readily available oil: Mobil 1 and a good filter with solid construction and silicone valve. (So basically anything not Fram or Fram owned)

Synthetic should allow for less coking on the valve stems. IMHO.

But I heard Kia recommends dino oil??? Is that right?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
600 miles is way too soon to think about changing. No real benefit from synthetic oil unless you really want to extend the change intervals. KIA dealers that I've dealt with recommend Castrol 10W-30 or Havoline (Caltex) 10W-30, both are Dino.

Sythetic oil is expensive in Australia ($50 to $70+ per 5 litres). Dino oil (I love that name) is about $25; perfectly OK provided you use the correct grade and change at recommended intervals (including sooner in severe conditions).

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
why do you need synthetic? are you looking for extended drain intervals? are you racing it in the 24 hour of lemons? dino is just fine for it, as it is a econobox. just sayin....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Summer is coming here in my country and It can get really really really hot. My car stays under direct sunlight most of the day while I'm at work. I've read and heard synthetic can help the engine stay 10-15 degrees colder than dino oil giving the engine a longer life. Since I plan to run this car until it cannot longer start I want to protect it as much as I can.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Summer is coming here in my country and It can get really really really hot. My car stays under direct sunlight most of the day while I'm at work. I've read and heard synthetic can help the engine stay 10-15 degrees colder than dino oil giving the engine a longer life.
Normal engine temperature is at least 85°C and this is regulated by the thermostat and fan. This is much hotter than will be caused by standing in the direct sun; the engine will probably be cooler than the car interior after a few hours standing!

The engine oil only plays a small part in cooling the engine, since there's much less oil circulating than the normal coolant, and oil has a much lower specific heat than the coolant.

Provided that the oil is the correct grade, there should be no difference in operating temperature between synth/dino.

BTW, putting on my paleontological hat for a moment, fossil fuels were mostly formed before the dinosaurs.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Synthetic motor oils were first developed for the military in the Artic. They retain their viscosity in the cold better than Dino oils. The other miracle qualities of synthetics are very subjective, especially change intervals. Oil filters will loose their efficiency long before some of the recommended synthetic oil change periods. The extended changes are said to be due the synthetics suspending dirt better than Dino oils. In all instances all oils look like the same black crud ofter extended change intervals. Try this. Take a new oil filter filling it with fresh oil. Drain the oil and weigh the filter. Then, remove and drain same model/manufacturer filter that has been used for 5000 miles. You would be surprised at how much crap the old filter traps. Be aware that the Kia factory filters all have a one way control valve. This valve keeps the filter from emptying after the engine is shut off. It cures the starting problems caused by having to wait for the filter to fill before oil pressure gets to the rest of the engine. The most serious problem would be bearing knock until oil pressure comes up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts