Kia Forum banner

Fule Consumption

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bobman 
#1 ·
I have just bought a used Sorento XE 2.5 , no matter how carefully I drive it I find that I cannot get better thhan 30 mpg.
HAs anyone manage to get the 43 mpg quoted in the spec for this car ?

#2 ·
Originally posted by davidjc@Nov 24 2004, 04:38 PM
I have just bought a used Sorento XE 2.5 , no matter how carefully I drive it I find that I cannot get better thhan 30 mpg.
Hi

You dont say if yours is manual or auto? if the latter your doing pretty good to get 30 mpg from a car this size and type, the best mine has ever done is 24 mpg, but it has had a faulty auto gearbox since new and is awaiting recall replacement.
The figures quoted in most vehicle technical specs are always higher than actuals as they are derived from unrealistic lab testing (not actual road testing), so you aren't likely to get anywhere near the 43 mpg especially on mixed driving conditions.

#4 ·
Originally posted by davidjc@Nov 24 2004, 03:38 PM
Mine is a 5 speed auto. No matter what I do with it I get a constant 27 mpg which I must say is starting to improve as the engine runs in(current 2k). diesels that I have had previously needed at least 7k on the clock before the engine loosens and starts to give a reasonable return. but I don't think you will get anywhere near 43 mpg.

#6 ·
Just back from long drive to Peak District. Brimmed tank before I left (pump timed out). 412 miles on trip, just brimmed tank again, same pump and timed out, got 67 litres in. Do the maths and I reckon thats a good figure, I am heavy on the right foot too. My '04 Sorento has covered 9600 miles, Mobil 1 TD in the sump and Miller's Diesel Plus in the tank. These figures will improve with more miles on the engine.

#7 ·
Originally posted by davidjc@Nov 24 2004, 04:38 PM
I've had my 4-speed CRDI for about 18 months, and done just over 20k miles.
It was a bit thirsty for the first month or so, but I now get about 35 mpg on long runs.

I even get 28 mpg when towing a ton of caravan behind it.

I think that's pretty good - but it does drop off quite a bit if I get carried away and put my foot down!

#8 ·
Bone of contention this one! as mentioned by Ian Malthouse. I purchased a new Sorento XE 5 speed auto on the 1st Nov, was upto about 27.6mpg but as we know diesels get better as they run in and I am not upto 3k as yet. I have just had the gearbox and ECU recall work carried out.
Has anyone else been through the same and what average are you getting???

#9 ·
The sorento is a good vehicle all round. BUT it loves gas ( petrol). It weights in empty at 2100 kgs, now thats a lot of weight to carry around.It likes human beings - the heavier you are the more effort is required. I have a new 3.5 lx auto and driven normally comes in at 12 liters/100 kms. ( too lazy to convert to mpg)
driven like an idiot that goes to 17 . But i have just converted to LPG and will post some details later. I am based in Brussels and get LPG at 0.25 pounds strirling per liter.The figures above are for gas,(petrol), LPG consumption is about 12% over these figures, but at 25p a liter who cares?? This makes the Sorento v6 cheaper to drive in Europe than the states. --well nearly. Just a point , loaded with 700 kgs the figures went to 14 normal and 18 idiot. If I do not go over 80 KPH can do 10 liters/100 km, but thats not fun!!!!!!

Jonathan

#10 ·
Hi! You should remember that NO car actually gets the milage that's posted on the sticker. Those numbers are compiled by EPA and not conducted in real driving conditions or even using real gasoline for that matter. So it's not just Kias, it's all cars that don't match up to their stickers.

#11 ·
I drive an Isuzu KB 300 Tdi, which is a 3 litre intercooled turbo diesel 4 cylinder monster and I get 10km/litre, which I am quite happy with. I'm not sure how many litres per gallon, I think 3,78, so if you get 30 mpg that equals about 12.7 km/litre, which is awesome for such a big vehicle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.