Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning ladies and gentleman.

Was driving home from work last & my distance to empty told me 56Km (No worries there as I only live 42Km away)

Near home hit a smallish traffic jam and noticed gauge on E & fuel light glowing away happily... Then check distance to empty & it was reading _ _ _.

Arghhhhhhh....

Nearest servo not too far away though but much willing & praying for 10 minutes... LOL

And so to my questions.

I assume the distance to empty figure just an estimate and the heavy traffic affected it.

The thing I really wondering about this is that then Rio fuel capacity is 43Lt. However at the servo all I could squeeze in was 37!!!

So either

1 - I had 6 odd litres still in the tank regardless of what the car was telling me?

Or

2 - It's going to take a LOT of patience to top up the final 6 litres in my tank?

Any suggestions or advice be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL... Thanks for that... I assumed that much was left in the tank so I guess I am wondering if any other owners can confirm that the case is that when it shows empty everywhere I still have a few litres left to play with?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You are correct. Our Cerato shows the warning light after 46 litres is used, while total capacity is quoted as 52 litres. Actual capacity will vary due to manufacturing tolerances and just how far you top it up. Our other cars also have about 6 or 7 litres remaining when the warning light comes on.

One car has a trip meter, and the DTE is a reasonable estimate that defaults to "---" when you are getting to about 3 litres remaiining. I once tested the trip computer when doing some suburban deliveries, stop-start; DTE varied quite a lot depending on current driving conditions. Stopping the engine and restarting sometimes "revived" the DTE from "---" to estimated km.

BTW, not a good idea to nearly drain the tank to empty. Might pick up water/rubbish.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
Morning ladies and gentleman.

I assume the distance to empty figure just an estimate and the heavy traffic affected it.
Based on my experience, it seems DTE is an estimated figure based on your average fuel consumption figure you have done so far (since the last refill, or the last reset of the fuel consumption figure, I'm not very sure). As your driving conditions may change with heavier traffic (thus leading to higher fuel consumption), I think this figure may not be very accurate to rely on.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Yep, the 6 ltrs sounds about right. I get the same with my Rio when the remaining distance turns to ---

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
i know you all our using a different amount but i swear the tank isnt 11.x gallons cause i swear ill get it on E and then only put in like 9 gallons after topping off so i dont get the system being used in the car i havent actually tried to see how far i can go for fear of running out of gas and be stranded but the low fuel signal seems a bit off at least in my car

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
same on my Soul too, but have the low fuel warning light come on around the 75-85 km mark, so you get two warning to fill, so if your willing to push it when you've been warned twice to get fuel, then there is only you to blame.

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
42 Posts
Many years ago when all you had was the fuel gauge w/ a red segment - I had a car where red meant 'any time in the next 75 miles' - on my next car I rather quickly discovered that red meant 'ah, remember that gas station about 1/2 mile back down the road?' Car wouldn't start, I called mechanic, and after a bit of diagnosis - he sold me a gallon of gas. My face was a red as the fuel gauge.

I agree w/ JruckaFTW - I believe I've been below 30mi DTE - yet never exceeded a 10 g refill . . . but I'll pay closer attention next time.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I know you all our using a different amount but i swear the tank isnt 11.x gallons cause i swear ill get it on E and then only put in like 9 gallons after topping off so i dont get the system being used in the car i havent actually tried to see how far i can go for fear of running out of gas and be stranded but the low fuel signal seems a bit off at least in my car
Our Cerato shows the warning light (6 litres to go) just as the needle gets to the Red, and if you keep going, the needle heads South of the Red. Same deal with "Full"; there's 5 litres North of the full mark. Other cars we've had show the warning at around 1/8 tank.

Before testing the gauge/warning, I already knew the likely fuel consumption, so was able to estimate the amount remaining. Besides, I had spare fuel "to be sure, to be sure", like the OCD Irishman.

DTE is calculated on your most recent consumption, rather than value for the whole tank. See previous post where I reported DTE jumping around quite a bit as driving conditions varied. Same when you fill up; DTE might start at 550 km if you fill up in town and then climb to 750 km as you get onto the highway.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 S 1.4
23 Posts
Normally, I never let the fuel level to go under 1/8 tank, Is not very wise to run out of fuel anywhere. So I can not give any good advise... so WTF why I'm writing then...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Normally, I never let the fuel level to go under 1/8 tank, Is not very wise to run out of fuel anywhere. So I can not give any good advice... so WTF why I'm writing then...
You never know; keep posting and you may get to be an "expert". :cool:

Some people worry about warning lights. A quick test on your first few tanks of fuel will be instructive. No you don't want to run out of fuel; not real good especially for diesels.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome feedback thnx guys - I guess the things that irks me a little is the guesswork involved in how many k's you can irk out of a full tank without guessing... 6 liters left could equate to almost a hundred km on a country run or less than 50 in heavy traffic... Be nice to know when you within a liter or 2 with some accuracy rather than guessing...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Awesome feedback thnx guys - I guess the things that irks me a little is the guesswork involved in how many k's you can eke out of a full tank without guessing... 6 liters left could equate to almost a hundred km on a country run or less than 50 in heavy traffic... Be nice to know when you within a liter or 2 with some accuracy rather than guessing...
Yep, until we get super-accurate fuel gauges, there'll be a bit of estimation required if you really want to push it. Most people (including myself) fill at around 1/4 full.

On the other hand, Mrs. Wifey always leaves it until the light at 1/8 full, but that's about 7 litres and we mostly use that car for city running. No sweat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts