Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
07 kia optima ex
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen and read a lot of articles about the "fuel tank air filter" so I finally replaced the one in my '07 Kia Optima. I bought the filter long time ago when first got the car because I took the recommendations of the Service Schedule seriously. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!!!

My first attempt to change the filter in my driveway failed miserably because I could not get any 10MM wrench to fit up into the extremely tight space at the top/back of the filter to unfasten a little nut back there! I asked a Kia tech about this and he smiled and said he has a "special" 10MM wrench for that BUT he does not replace that "burried" nut when reinstalling a filter.

So I tackled the fuel tank air filter one more time. This time, after I tried all my 10MM wrenches up there, I decided to CUT the damned filter off! Way harder than I realized but I finally got the filter loose enought to get a small wrench up there and - WALLA - that little nut came loose! I installed the new filter with just ONE nut and left it standing up in there tightly stuck in place. I even left the two unused nuts attached to the filler tube with some wire for some more adventurous guy to use if he ever wants to. As for me, I will never change that filter again because, unless some extreme disaster occurs, there is absolutely no reason or need to ever change that thing and I wish I had not bothered to do it at all!

I'm saying this because I blew and sucked on the old filter to see just how filled up and blocked it had become over the years and found absolutely NO air resistance whatsoever in the old air filter! It was as free & clear as the day it was first installed back in 2007 and probably would never have needed replacing even though Kia recommends a "frequent" change (helping their dealers rake in more $$$ for utterly uneeded work & parts!)

Now I feel like the victim of a (bad) practicle joke. That filter did NOT need and would NEVER have needed replacing (unless I drive the car around in a swamp or mud hole). But I know from experiece that the dealer's main objective is to sell (ignorant) customers as much service and repair work as possible ($$$) so long as the customer is completely ignorant about the SCAMS the dealers play on them. And this fuel tank air filter thing is a TOTAL SCAM...........so don't bother with it and don't let a SCAMY dealer sell you the service!!!!!! Your car doesn't need it!!!

Every time I go to the Kia dealer, they try to sell me all kinds of "NECESSARY" work: flush and replace the brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, serpentine belt, on and on and on!!!!!!! And they don't even flinch when quoting their INSANE prices for these "necessary" services!

They wanted $104 for checking out my car and then to tell me it needs MOTOR MOUNTS! The manager didn't even bother to tell me up front that it would cost $104 just to examine my car!! I objected so he dropped the charge! The motor mount job would have been near $400! I said I'll do it myself!

It always thrills me to work on my own car rather than give some SCAMMY shop tons of money for a job that they might not even do as well as I can at home. :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
You would be surprised that the TINy little material that filter catches that your eyes are not seeing. Its not like the old saying out of sight, out of mind. I like to use, replace whne supposed to instead of being sorry.

·
Registered
2003 Sorento EX, purchased new, as of Jan 2016 - 122k miles; 2013 Mazda2 is my everyday car, 40 mpg
13 Posts
That filter did NOT need and would NEVER have needed replacing (unless I drive the car around in a swamp or mud hole).
Or unless you live in the desert. I live in southern Arizona, no shortage of dust here, and on top of that I drive 1 mile each way on a dirt & gravel road to get to my house. My Check Engine light came on at around 60k miles, and when I took it to a dealer they brought out the gas tank air filter to show me - it was completely clogged with dust & dirt. On my 2003 Sorento the gas tank air filter isn't listed in the maintenance schedule, so I didn't know anything about it. They showed me a sticker on the replacement filter package that "updated" my owner's manual recommending the filter be changed every 30k miles. They covered that replacement under warranty, but said future filter replacements were now scheduled maintenance.

I imagine driving only on paved roads in southern California your filter was fine. But the maintenance schedule needs to cover all conditions. I just replaced mine again at 99k - pretty dirty.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,507 Posts
What's the trick?

I had my charcoal canister down to repair it. The pellets were coming out when the foam deteriated. I tried pulling that thing apart but did not want to break it. What's the trick? It has 122000 on it and I too could blow a lot of air through it. Yes, I got the recall notice. No, I don't trust the dealer so taking it to them at this time is not an option.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
A recall is 100% free if you got the letter.
Labor and parts, and even a loaner if it takes longer than a couple of hours/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts