Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 kia sportage 2.0 l4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2005 kia sportage 2.0 l4 and I'm in need of guidance. It cranks but won't start. It died while I was driving. No misfire, no shaking. Nothing. Just died out of nowhere and wouldn't start. I checked the fuel pump and it works. I checked the plug wires and I have spark. I tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body and got nothing. I checked the obd scanner for codes, but no codes. So I know it's getting fuel, fire, and air. I'm not sure what my next move should be. Compression test? Any help would be appreciated!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,095 Posts
What's the mileage?
What's the service history, oil change interval, .....?
When last was the timing belt changed?

Yes, do a compression test.

·
Registered
2005 kia sportage 2.0 l4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage is 181,000. I don't know the service history. I changed the alternator belt once. I don't know if the timing belt was ever changed

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,095 Posts
Mileage is 181,000. I don't know the service history. I changed the alternator belt once. I don't know if the timing belt was ever changed
Expect the timing belt is broken, but lucky for you its a non-interference engine.

How come you don't know the service history?

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,433 Posts
Remove oil fill cap from valve cover. Have a friend turn engine over whilst you look into opening with flashlight. If you do not see cams rotating under the valve cover (cam cover) your timing belt, as noted above, has broken or stripped teeth.
This is a quick and easy check that doesn't cost you anything.....
Let us know what happens.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,095 Posts
Remove oil fill cap from valve cover. Have a friend turn engine over whilst you look into opening with flashlight. If you do not see cams rotating under the valve cover (cam cover) your timing belt, as noted above, has broken or stripped teeth.
This is a quick and easy check that doesn't cost you anything.....
Let us know what happens.
That's a good quick easy check and to be done first, and if they're turning and the problem still exists then a compression test and or check the timing marks - it could be that the belt has jumped a few teeth.

Reactions: Lou O.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.