Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 KIA SPORTAGE A/T 2009 KIA RONDO LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 98 kia sportage that have a fuel smell whenever i fill my tank. I notice that whenever the tank is at half full mark, the smell is gone,simply not there at all.

Ive read some threads here on some probabe causes and have replaced all gas hoses and clamps with new. I still get the smell when i fill the tank.

Any idea what i need to check next? because im getting high on gas fumes whenever i go to doctor :D

Thanks

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Do you stop filling at the first click off, or do you continue on from there? If you are stopping at the first click off, and you get the fuel smell, I would check for rust issues on the tank, since you have replaced the hoses. If you are going beyond the first click off, then try stopping at the first click off and see what happens. Another item to check would be the charcoal canister, but I would think if it was saturated you would get the smell all the time. It seems like the canister seems to be an issue with the sporty, so, if it has never been cleaned/replaced the filter probably needs to be replaced anyway. Cheers..

·
Registered
1998 sportage and peugeot expert van
1 Posts
Fuel smell

Hi we have have just had the same problem with our 1998 sportage turned out to be the metal pipes that come out of the fuel pump/sender assembly they both had cracks in them. Dont know why we only got the smell when we over half filled the tank but we did. hope this is of some help to you.

·
Registered
1998 KIA SPORTAGE A/T 2009 KIA RONDO LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you stop filling at the first click off, or do you continue on from there? If you are stopping at the first click off, and you get the fuel smell, I would check for rust issues on the tank, since you have replaced the hoses. If you are going beyond the first click off, then try stopping at the first click off and see what happens. Another item to check would be the charcoal canister, but I would think if it was saturated you would get the smell all the time. It seems like the canister seems to be an issue with the sporty, so, if it has never been cleaned/replaced the filter probably needs to be replaced anyway. Cheers..
Hi i never over fill,i stop the moment it clicks off. i do see rust around edges of tank.

I will replace the suggested items you mention in your reply, thanks..

Hi we have have just had the same problem with our 1998 sportage turned out to be the metal pipes that come out of the fuel pump/sender assembly they both had cracks in them. Dont know why we only got the smell when we over half filled the tank but we did. hope this is of some help to you.

I will replace the items you suggested too, will let you know this saturday what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i have the same problem on a 2000 kia sportage but my car smells all the time even when is almost empty this problem started along with a p0440 code wich was a evap system so i took it to the techs and they found out that the canister close valve was stuck open, i replaced the valve hoping that will fix the problem but it didt code went off but still gas smell and poor gas mileage please let us know what you did to fix your problem thanks :rolleyes::cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts