Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been looking at aftermarket fuel saving magnetic devices such as http://www.fuelsaverpro.co.uk/faq.asp

Has anyone any experience with such devices. I would be looking to add one to a Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI XS.

Or, are there any other suggestions for devices that would increase mpg without affecting UK warranty.

Thanks in advance

Matt (UK)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have found my own answer on another website!

Regards

Matt

"Magnetic Fuel treatments

Websites : too many to list.

If you drive a car, you're absolutely guaranteed to have heard this claim before : "put a magnet on the fuel line and it will increase your fuel economy by making the fuel burn more efficiently." Excuse my English, but that's bollocks. There's so many reasons that these devices are pure fantasy. Here's just a few of them:

1. The magnets are tiny, and pretty weak. There's no demonstrable effect of these things on hydrocarbon liquids such as gasoline (petrol) or diesel. A magnet cannot provide oxygen and neither can it change the amount of heat released from burning the fuel.

2. Liquids cannot "retain" any magnetic effect when they leave the magnet, even if affected when within it. Hence you cannot "charge up" a liquid in the way that a dust particle can be charged.

3. There is no truly independent lab analysis which could give evidence that combustion can be improved nor that you'll get better power output or lower emissions. The "labs" that give reports and testimonials to the various magnetic product companies are either on their payroll, or received generous "donations". No conflict of interest there then.

4. A modern car engine will typically fail to completely burn something like ½% of the fuel it uses. This therefore will be the sort of improvement that could be expected by a device that ensured "complete combustion" of all the fuel. Most magnetic devices claim an 8-10% improvement. What are they burning above the ½% of unburned fuel? "

·
Registered
107 Posts
yes, that is a gimmick as well as tornado air, khaos super turbo charger, the electrical powered supercharger rated for 1.0PSI and a few others are well known scams. If you want better gas milage then there is a list of things to do:

regular maintainence
short ram intake or cold air intake
strait through performance muffler with performance exaust system and headers
sometimes your engine could use a grounding kit (like the Sephia, rio and spectras)
smaller/lighter weight rims and lighter tires with more grip
supercharger or turbocharger
insolating the fuel lines to keep them cooler.
peek the engine compartment cooler with bigger grills, hood spacers (raises hood to put a gap between the hood and the chassis to let out hot air and hood scoops.

thats pretty much it right there, some of these things are not applicible but those are what really helps gas milage and performance, no other cheap products are really gonna help.

I recommend short ram intake, performance muffler, grounding kit insolating fuel lines, hood spacers and a grill (cut the mesh) to get a good amount of performance, better gas milage and the least amount of hassle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For diesel engines the weak side is the air filter, keep it clean/replaced regurlarly
I,´ve put 4 magnets on the fuel line with no noticeble difference.
Better oil, better performance (syntethic if you can or molibden additive)
Use good gasoil with octane elevator
:amen:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
those fuel saver devices are a scam... at least 99 percent of them are if not 100 percent.. save your money.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
Glad to see you guys are wise to this little fantasy, LMAO.............. no substitute for common sense.
I have yet to remove one of those "Tornado's" that was still in one piece......they fall apart in months it seems.
I cant count the MIL P0300 DTC I've traced down to a pice of tornado lodged in the intake duct in one or more intake runners. Pop-riveted aluminium POS.
Then I have to retrieve the broken pieces..................Sigh.
BTW warranty will not cover this situation either...............beware!
Keep the air filter clean & the tires aried up propelry and treat the throttle with a little respect. ( Hard I know, LOL)
Ive been averaging 29-30 mpg in my new Spectra so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts