Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Snake oil!

Do you not think that if it were that easy to get 10%-15% better economy it wouldnt be in widespread use already?

No such thing as a free lunch dude.

Its very easy to post "GREAT REVIEWS" on a website. Can they be backed up? Would you be able to speak to someone who has actually used this product and can sustansiate the claims?

I could easily set up a web page that says the i can get your Kia to do 100MPG and 150MPH at the same time. It doesnt make it true!

Im very sceptical of these products as you may have guessed!

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Hi all,has anyone tried this product"Dipetane"...

I have in the past wasted money on all kinds of concoctions that didnt make a blind bit of diffrence.
You seem surprised.

Something like 2% of the gas leaving the engine is the product of incomplete combustion. I expect the car industry would bite the arm off a company that could provide a simple product that avoids the need to fit the catalysts and dpfs to deal with it. But even if that happened, it hardly seems possible that that 2% could be holding 10% of the energy.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If you look up the product, it is some type of hydrocarbon that you mix 1:200 with your fuel. The exact nature of this miraculous product and the way it works is not stated. Clearly it won't work and these (and a multitude of other fuel-saving products) have been debunked many times.

There are devices sold which, when installed in the intake/fuel system, are supposed to increase power and also improve fuel mileage by (insert your own outrageous percentage). That would be a neat trick, except that they don't work, and probably would have the opposite effect. Since these are a "one-off" scam, the purchase price is high.

What scammers are really looking for are products that you must use regularly, and fuel fits into that category. There was a classic case a few years ago in Australia involving a solid hydrocarbon fuel additive and those with time on their hands can read about it in the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firepower_International

Note that we do have scientific and technical expertise in this country, but very little testing of the product was ever carried out before $millions were wasted. If I recall, the magic pill was something like Naphthalene, the compound used in moth-balls. For more entertaining reading, search for "Energy Polariser".

The only fuel saving device that actually works is "green" tyres; about 2 MPG.

Fuel saving products often have a grain of scientific credibility, such as the water electrolysis equipment; obviously the small amount of hydrogen generated is not going to do anything by itself, but it is impled that the hydrogen helps the rest of the fuel combust more efficiently due to an unspecified effect.

Human health scams such as homeopathy are similarly enticing because they seem to be related to the established science of immunisation. Here again, the vanishingly small (sometimes vanishing completely!) active ingredients are claimed to have magical effects on the water in the preparation.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The best ones are the ones that plug to your lighter socket! LOL
"It stabilizes the power for optimum performance and reduce fuel consumption!" LOL

Basically you need eggs to do an omelet, there are no miracles!
IF you feel your car has lost some power, probably you need to clean your intake and fuel injection system. It's not cheap... but it works!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi folks and thanks for yer replies.
the only resone i gave it a 2nd thought was because it was recomended by a friend and his mecanic swares by it.also so companys such as road stone use it(no proof).if you have time this makes an intresting read.

Dipetane - Your Views? - boards.ie

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Reports on results in the link above do not give convincing data. Just silly stuff like "More miles on this tank"; "Seems to be better" etc. etc. You would need to do a proper fuel economy test, preferably a blind test (have someone else add/not add the product). Of course, the sort of people who fall for fuel additives/devices are exactly the people who wouldn't do a proper test.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
hi folks and thanks for yer replies.
the only resone i gave it a 2nd thought was because it was recomended by a friend and his mecanic swares by it.
A car carries a lot of deadweight in the form of soundproofing, cosmetic trim and alleged safety features. A 200kg reduction is worth about the same again as using low resistance tyres. I recommend it.

(And if you're concerned about safety, less deadweight would actually improve the chassis's crash performance. Wearing a motorcycle helmet would be lighter and probably considerably more effective than the stuff you throw away.)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
A car carries a lot of deadweight in the form of soundproofing, cosmetic trim and alleged safety features. A 200kg reduction is worth about the same again as using low resistance tyres. I recommend it.
That's about right, but depends on the road conditions. We tested out Cerato with about 200Kg extra load and lost 2 MPG on the highway. Expect a greater effect in mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
Fuel Improvement

Hi everyone, I would like some of this fuel improvement. I have a two year old, covered 13000 miles 1.6 CDRI auto ceed
After refuelling, left Duxford on the side of the M11 went down to the M25, the only stop was at the Dartford Toll continued on the down the M20 to Folkstone Harbour and then returned, refuelled at Duxford 114 miles each way (228) did not go over 60 MPH and 95% of the time on cruise control, CONSUMPTION 41 MPG.

There is a very slight increase to fuel consumption if you fit a magnet on the ring main, I believe one manufacture does fit them as standard

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like some of this fuel improvement. I have a two year old, covered 13000 miles 1.6 CDRI auto ceed
After refuelling, left Duxford on the side of the M11 went down to the M25, the only stop was at the Dartford Toll continued on the down the M20 to Folkstone Harbour and then returned, refuelled at Duxford 114 miles each way (228) did not go over 60 MPH and 95% of the time on cruise control, CONSUMPTION 41 MPG.

There is a very slight increase to fuel consumption if you fit a magnet on the ring main, I believe one manufacture does fit them as standard
Save your money, all these so called wonder devices are just pointless wastes of money.

With regards to your MPG ignore the dsah indicator, they are not always accurate. Ours is but the only way is to do several tank to tank fill ups using the same pump at the same garage.

The auto Ceed CRDi has an Honest John Real World average of 41.6 mpg which is about what you got thus nothing wrong with your car. To back up this the Honest John Real World average for a manual CRDi is 49.9 and we get about 51 so nothing wrong with those figures. Here is a link to the page
KIA Cee'd 2010 - Real MPGs | Honest John

Hope that puts your mind at ease.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Now, you wouldn't want to increase consumption would you?

There's a quaint tendency for people to believe that magnets have special properties. They're great for picking up iron filings or constructing DC electric motors, but they have little effect on organic materials such as petrol.

Scammers also sell magnets embedded in health products, but there's no possibility that they will have any effect. And if there were an effect, what is the likelihood that the effect would be beneficial? MRI scanners have high magnetic fields and nobody seems to notice.

The Patents Office used to be inundated with designs for perpetual motion machines until it was made illegal to promote such schemes. Maybe it's time for similar rules on fuel saving devices. Note that they are not generally advertised as "Patented".

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
did not go over 60 MPH and 95% of the time on cruise control, CONSUMPTION 41 MPG.
The age of yours suggests a torque converter auto. What happens if you go faster? Just a thought that there is a possibility that the speed is too low to lock the converter and it is still churning.

·
Registered
103 Posts
poor fuel

Thank you for your suggestion Ace Demon, the torque convertor does lock up when goes into overdrive at about 45 mph
I used to have a large Volvo diesel and a magnet did increase the mpg by 3 mpg but you see that was just under 10%. ( alot in % but not in mpg )

I do believe in magnets, I have a large one on my house water pipe and I have never cleaned the kettle, even this area is noted for hard water.
I have one on my boiler gas pipe and i believe it improves that

Some years ago a company I worked for had liners being eaten away on R.R. diesel and an old boy said he could cure it and he did by putting a large magnet on the engine block. Then we done all of them like that and no more problems

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion Ace Demon, the torque convertor does lock up when goes into overdrive at about 45 mph
Are you certain? At 45mph, it would only be doing 1500rpm which in the manual does not give good pickup. I would have thought the auto would let it spin a bit more before making it solid.
Even so, have you compared consumption at 60 and 70?

I used to have a large Volvo diesel and a magnet did increase the mpg by 3 mpg but you see that was just under 10%. ( alot in % but not in mpg )
Did you keep good records for some time before and after? Over what seasons did you make the change?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Poor Fuel

You are right Ace Demon, I do get a better fuel consumption if I knock it down a cog and run at 2500rpm but its an automatic and Kia wont listen
Its also better at 75mph but you cannot cruse at that speed in cruse control.

A automatic normally has a lower axle ratio but this one is the same as a manual gearbox

I do keep records and I fill to the brim with three shut offs every time then work it out on paper

This is the lowest fuel consunption I have ever had and value its not worth going for diesel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Poor Fuel

You are right Ace Demon, I do get a better fuel consumption if I knock it down a cog and run at 2500rpm but its an automatic and Kia wont listen

A automatic normally has a lower axle ratio but this one is the same as a manual gearbox

I do keep records and I fill to the brim with three shut offs every time then work it out on paper

This is the lowest fuel consunption I have ever had and value its not worth going for diesel.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Why not. You can use cruise control at any speed above about 30 mph. If you go onto the continent where their speed limits can be higher cruise control still works.

Don' worry about an indicated 75mph being illegal, its probably only a genuine 70mph, all speedos over read.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts