Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Sephia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1999 kia sephia and it seems that my fuel pump wire is getting hot. Right at the connector that sits under the seat. The wire gets so hot that it is turning the plastic connector black and the pump will shut off. When I fiddle with the connector I can usually get the pump working and the car running again. It will often shut off when driving and usually in the worst spots. My positive battery wire also seems to get hot to the touch after a while of driving. Is this normal? Also my spark plug wires get seem to get hot to the touch as well. Any ideas on where to begin?

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Just bought it? Recently rewired it?

·
Registered
1999 Sephia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel pump wire gets hot...

I bought the car 3 years ago as a tow yard lien sale. When I bought it the wires at the connector was black and the fuel pump would randomly work. I thought at the time it was the fuel pump so I replaced it. A year later the same problem. Relaced the connector this time. Now the problem is reoccurring. Not sure why. Other then that no wiring changes or anything like that.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Can you run the circuit through an ammeter? Sounds like a short circuit/insulation issue. Also check the fuse on that circuit; it may have a big fuse or a bybass (i.e. a hunk of wire).

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Surferdreame..
What you are dealing with is a high resistance connector. With drawing current through the bad connection that junction gets hot and the connection resistance gets higher ...and the the juction again gets even hotter...It's a self feeding...progressively worsening problem.
Because your KIA is a 1999 and is gettin near the end of it's life , why not cut the connectors (male and female) out of the circuit and hard wire (bypass) the wires straight to the fuel pump... No more bad connetions AND no more heat.. I would not suggest that you should do this on a newer (5yrs old or newer) car as you might need to replace the fuel pump 4 yrs later.
Dave

·
Registered
1999 Sephia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for the help. The auto repair shop says just keep replacing the connectors... the guy even showed me how to un-pin and re-pin the connectors. Said that fuel pumps were common problems on 1999 kia sephias. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
If there is corrosion inside the connector...it will only get worse if "baby'd" along..
That's why I suggested just hardwiring it at the cars age.
All fuel pumps will fail with age and yours is 13 years old. A hot connector indicates a poor connection NOT a bad fuel pump.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts