Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a Kia 2014 Soul for 5.5 yrs, first owner. No problems. <39000 miles on it.

Leaving work and it spontaneously dies while on the highway. Roll to an exit and it won't start.

Tow to dealer ($99, roadside assistance expired 6 mo prior), Get it diagnosed ($129), They tell me Battery died (probably from sitting idle for 5+ hrs since the first tow truck never came... it was a year away from needing replaced anyway ($169). Needs new Wiper Blades ($~50) and...

Fuel pump spontaneously died ($669).

Here's my question. I kind of suspected it was the fuel pump and have talked about it with everyone I know, and they basically all said "Yeah sounds like fuel pump... you're lucky, that's power-train, so still under warranty". Heck, even some Kia DEALER sites brag about "Fuel Pump" being covered by that great 10 yr warranty. Problem is no one told the dealership I got towed to, they said it's not part of the warranty. And the Manual just says "Engine", "Including: Oil Pump, Water Pump..." No specific mention of fuel pump. On the other hand... fuel pump is considered part of the engine on almost all the car sites I'm finding detailing what a power train warranty covers.

But Kia's site, No word one way or the other. Not in the list of engine parts or the list of "not covered".

Does anyone know for certain if Fuel pump under Kia's power-train warranty... and if so, where I can find proof of that fact?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
fuel pump is considered part of the engine on almost all the car sites I'm finding detailing what a power train warranty covers.
I've never heard that before - could you post links to one or two "car sites".

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure.

Google #1 result for "Powertrain Warranty fuel pump" for me: Facts About Factory, Bumper-To-Bumper And Powertrain Warranties "In general, the powertrain warranty covers the: Engine (cylinder block, cylinder heads, fuel pump..."
Chevy dealer (#2 result): Chevrolet Powertrain Warranty Breakdown | Valley Chevy " Is the fuel pump part of Powertrain? Yes, fuel pumps are covered. "
#3 Result: What Does a Powertrain Warranty Cover? What is a Powertrain? "Engine coverage normally includes: ... Water, Fuel, and Oil Pump "

I could go on. Pages and pages of these results... and like I said, many Kia dealers included who offer extended powertrain (20yr and lifetime) specify that fuel pump is included. I can't find it specifically mentioned anywhere on Kia's site for their standard 10/100 though.

An example of a Kia dealership that extends the powertrain warranty: https://www.allentownkia.com/allentown-kias-lifetime-powertrain-warranty-sda/ "The lifetime powertrain warranty covers the engine, including anything that is contained within the engine block and cylinder head(s). In practical terms, that means you don't have to worry about the water pump, the fuel pump, the oil pan, the timing belt, the engine mounts, the intake or exhaust manifolds."

Found at least three others with the same sort of extended warranty's, that all specify that AFTER the standard Kia 10/100 stops covering these systems (including fuel pump), their warranty kicks in and continues to do so for 10+ more years. Everything I can find online literally everywhere strongly suggests (or directly states) that fuel pump is part of power train... except on Kia's primary website and in the manual. It neither names it as included or excluded. It looks like a deliberate exclusion so that people will assume it is included (seems most other manufacturers cover it).

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
An example of a Kia dealership that extends the powertrain warranty: https://www.allentownkia.com/allentown-kias-lifetime-powertrain-warranty-sda/ "The lifetime powertrain warranty covers the engine, including anything that is contained within the engine block and cylinder head(s). In practical terms, that means you don't have to worry about the water pump, the fuel pump, the oil pan, the timing belt, the engine mounts, the intake or exhaust manifolds."
You need to look at your model specific, and what that is likely referring to is the high pressure fuel pump on the engine, the ones found on GDI models, .......not the pump in the gas tank.

The short answer is Kia will only honor what is specifically written in your warranty agreement with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts