Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2008 Sorento Owner's Manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles/48 months (Normal Service) or 36,000 miles/36 months (Severe Service).

The fuel filter is located inside the fuel pump assembly. I found a complete new OEM pump assembly for ~1/3 MSRP and chose to replace the entire assembly while i had access:

Here are most of the tools you will need. The blue pliers are fuel line disconnect pliers:

Hyundai Part No. 09310-2B200 Fuel Pump Plate Cover Wrench

Have a fire extinguisher on hand AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES any time you work around fuel:

(Continued below)

Attachments

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. Try to start the engine until it stalls to use up any fuel remaining in the lines. Remove the fuel filler cap. Disconnect the negative battery cable. I like to put a nitrile glove over the end of the ground cable to ensure no accidental contact.

Put a rag under the fuel line. Remove the orange fuel line connection lock and disconnect the line using the fuel line pliers to compress the blue tabs on each side of the fuel line connector. I only had an ounce or two of gas leak out onto the rag.

Remove the black rubber ring that covers the fuel pump assembly retaining ring to see this:

Use a marker to show the original position of the retaining ring with respect to the fuel tank. Position the Hyundai cover removal tool in place in four of the ring holes and tighten the thumb screws on the top of the tool:

Use a 1/2" drive ratchet to loosen and remove the retaining ring. I had to remove and reposition the Hyundai tool twice due to interference with the side of the access opening. It took ~1-1/2 complete turns of the ring and quite a bit of force to remove it. Clean the inside of the ring and apply a little anti-seize to make it easier to reinstall and remove next time.

(Continued)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Retaining ring off:

Vacuum/clean up any debris around the top of the pump before you remove it. Be carefull not to damage the fuel level mechanism when you remove/reinstall the pump. Old pump out:

Install the new pump and secure it with the cleaned retaining ring (with a little anti-seize applied). My new pump would not seat far enough down to allow installation of the retaining ring. While messing around with my old pump later i realized that the silver top plate is spring loaded to the rest of the pump assembly. You can compress the plate down to allow installation of the retaining ring.

Reinstall the big black rubber ring over the retaining ring, reconnect the fuel line and electrical connectors. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start it up to check operation and for any leaks. Re-secure the access cover with the screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
462 Posts
Nice post, thanks.

I actually bought the filter, I just haven't installed it yet. Did you get a look at how bad your old filter was?

Also, do you have a link to the pump assembly you bought?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice post, thanks.

I actually bought the filter, I just haven't installed it yet. Did you get a look at how bad your old filter was?

Also, do you have a link to the pump assembly you bought?

Thanks.
I haven't opened up the old assembly yet but will report back my findings if/when i do.

Bought the pump from this online seller. Looks like they don't have another pump in stock right now but you might want to keep watch for another one to come up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/oemtradersintl/m.html?ssPageName=&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2654

UPDATE - I see you have a 2016. I'm not sure how much of this procedure applies to that model year.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I probably won't buy the full assembly.. I was just curious about how bad the filter might look.

Here you go. Little visible debris on the filter inlet strainer and most of it was easily removed with a toothbrush:

Very little debris in the bottom of the bucket either:

Guess i won't worry about the fuel filter/pump for another 11 years. And I have a spare fuel level sender and pump :)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it is just me, but can't seem to 'see' the images...

Anyone else?
Weird. Pretty sure they were there yesterday. Put them back again plus left the thumbnails this time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...actually, I meant your first, second and third post...don't see the images there.
Added more thumbnails to the first three posts. Hopefully you can see them now.

·
Premium Member
2011 EX Sportage AWD
26 Posts
Any chance you'd want to sell that fuel pump cover wrench? I'm not keen on paying the $60-$120 I've found online for a tool I'll only use once. :/

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Any chance you'd want to sell that fuel pump cover wrench? I'm not keen on paying the $60-$120 I've found online for a tool I'll only use once. :/ "

Sorry - i sold it on eBay a few months ago and got most of my cost back. Thought i had it listed on the classifieds here but i don't see the ad now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts