Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have filled up at different gas stations and ever time I let it fill all the way it always over flows a little bit. Not a ton but enough for it to spill over and drip down the side. Has anyone else had this problem. 2020 kia forte ex

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
56 Posts
I have filled up at different gas stations and ever time I let it fill all the way it always over flows a little bit. Not a ton but enough for it to spill over and drip down the side. Has anyone else had this problem. 2020 kia forte ex
When you say "let it fill all the way", do you mean the automatic fill stop of the pump? Or when it auto stops and then you ADD fuel to fill to the rim?

If it is on automatic fill stop, and the nozzle is fully inserted correctly, then that IS an issue. That should not overfow.

If it is the latter, then it is not the car's issue, but you as the owner who wants to see fuel up to the rim. But cannot stop the fill on time befire it overflows.

Just let the pump auto stop the fill, as it is not like you will be going some place where there are no gas stations that you will need every extra drop of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "let it fill all the way", do you mean the automatic fill stop of the pump? Or when it auto stops and then you ADD fuel to fill to the rim?

If it is on automatic fill stop, and the nozzle is fully inserted correctly, then that IS an issue. That should not overfow.

If it is the latter, then it is not the car's issue, but you as the owner who wants to see fuel up to the rim. But cannot stop the fill on time befire it overflows.

Just let the pump auto stop the fill, as it is not like you will be going some place where there are no gas stations that you will need every extra drop of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
When I say "let it fill up all the way" I mean having the pump auto stop. I do not top off and try and fill up to the very top. Insert the pump all the way in, start pumping gas, put the metal piece of the pump down and wait for it to click and stop. Once it clicks and stop I would say a cup always overflows by itself. I figured thats an issue, any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,100 Posts
Set the trigger on the pump handle to medium, keep your hands off, and see what happens. Let us know please.

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT - Fire Orange
1 Posts
Does anyone know how many gallons the fuel Gage and miles to go is based on.
I know the tank is rated at 14, but what does it actually hold I'm wondering.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,100 Posts
I would print out this discussion and submit it to your local Kia dealership.
Something is wrong with the fuel fill assembly.
This should not be happening.
Take a short video of the fuel splash back issue with your smart phone to show the service write up person + give her the details from discussions on this site......good luck. Let us know how you make out and what is found.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte SE
3 Posts
I have this same issue and have taken it to the dealership 3x and it’s still not fixed. Taking it back again tomorrow and show the manager firsthand what happens. I guess my videos aren’t enough.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have this same issue and have taken it to the dealership 3x and it’s still not fixed. Taking it back again tomorrow and show the manager firsthand what happens. I guess my videos aren’t enough.
Let me know if they come up with a fix!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte SE
3 Posts
Well I am very unhappy with Kia. I was essentially told I was pumping gas incorrectly. To avoid the overflow of gas when pumping pull the nozzle half way out after inserting it into the car. I’ve done it twice and it’s worked.
I find this ridiculous and plan on complaining to customer service.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT Line
2 Posts
When I say "let it fill up all the way" I mean having the pump auto stop. I do not top off and try and fill up to the very top. Insert the pump all the way in, start pumping gas, put the metal piece of the pump down and wait for it to click and stop. Once it clicks and stop I would say a cup always overflows by itself. I figured thats an issue, any idea what it could be?
I have a 2020 Forte GTLine and it's doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they said it must be something I'm doing. Really? I've had this car for almost 8 months and it's only done it on the last 4 fill ups. I put the nozzle in same as I always have, let the pump run until it clicks off. Right after clicking off gas spits out of the fill pipe. Enough to end up on the ground. The service advisor filled it and it didn't happen to him. But, it was 3/4 full when he filled it. When I fill it it's on or close to empty (don't know if that makes a difference). He said to take a video next time I fill up. Guess I have to prove I'm not making this up and that I know how to properly operate a gas pump. So I guess we'll see what happens next fill up. I'll post an update.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX AWD
68 Posts
Do you fill it as fast as the pump can pump it? Filler holes are a tighter fit now than they used to be and air gets trapped in the tank. Lower the gas the more air. You can thank the EPA. My wife's car doesn't have a physical cap and it has a sticker that says "wait a minimum of 5 seconds before removing the nozzle" Try pumping slower.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte SE
3 Posts
Do you fill it as fast as the pump can pump it? Filler holes are a tighter fit now than they used to be and air gets trapped in the tank. Lower the gas the more air. You can thank the EPA. My wife's car doesn't have a physical cap and it has a sticker that says "wait a minimum of 5 seconds before removing the nozzle" Try pumping slower.
How do you pump slower? I let the pump do all the work using the automatic lever until it clicks off, then gas overflows onto the ground. I’m usually recording so I’m already waiting more than 5 seconds before removing the nozzle.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX AWD
68 Posts
How do you pump slower? I let the pump do all the work using the automatic lever until it clicks off, then gas overflows onto the ground. I’m usually recording so I’m already waiting more than 5 seconds before removing the nozzle.
Most pumps have two notches on the auto pump feature, just put it on the one that doesn't have the lever all the way back against the handle. If you pump by hand don't squeeze as hard.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT Line
2 Posts
I haven't gotten gas again yet but I did call Kia customer service to start a case. I just wanted something on record in case this has to be fixed after warranty runs out. The lady I spoke was very nice and made sure to document the whole conversation. I was given a case number and encouraged to call back with any updates. I'm still going to take a video on next fill up to show my dealer that they are wrong in saying that it's something I'm doing to cause gas to spurt out of the fill pipe after pump clicks off. Especially when this started happening almost 8 months after buying the car. I'll still post an update after next fill up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts