Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a fuel odor coming from the engine compartment at start up. No signs of leaking tho.

I did the googles and people are replacing the a fuel regulator on edge of the fuel rail. pn = 0k2a520180a
-Is this a possible fix?
-Is it located on the passenger side back of the tire assembly, just above the alternator?
-The fuel regulator has a quick disconnect fuel line, how difficult is it to remove this line with out breaking it?

also looking for a pdf service manual

thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I get a fuel odor coming from the engine compartment at start up. No signs of leaking tho.

I did the googles and people are replacing the a fuel regulator on edge of the fuel rail. pn = 0k2a520180a
-Is this a possible fix?
-Is it located on the passenger side back of the tire assembly, just above the alternator?
-The fuel regulator has a quick disconnect fuel line, how difficult is it to remove this line with out breaking it?

also looking for a pdf service manual

thanks in advance everyone
The pulsation damper at the end of the fuel rail is usually what causes the fuel odor. It is difficult to disconnect the fuel line, but not impossible. As far as a service manual, Kia provides online service manuals for the US models at http://www.kiatechinfo.com. Its free to register and you may have to download the SVG viewer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel odor:
Fuel Regulator (Pulsation Dampner) $38.38usd pn=0K2A520180A
its an easy fix, remove the (2) 10mm bolts holding the existing regulator/dampner. Put a rag in place below to take up spilled gas. You have good access to the gas line connector attached to the regulator/dampner so while its a little strange still easy to remove. Dont break the connector tho, chances are low your local dealer has this in stock.

The regulator/dampner is just above the alternator on the passenger's side. so three thoughts for this post:
-during removal if you spill gas (and you will) into on to the alternator let it evaporate before starting the car.
-with that much fuel odor coming form this failed part it might have safety issues being located above the alternator. Your call tho.
-reference the O-ring washer on the regulator/dampner, just a theory but I bet if you replace the O-ring with another fuel resistant washer you could re-use the old part.

for me this fix completely resolved the fuel odor issue on my 32003 Spectra.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts