Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised I didn't see anything on this here considering the sometimes vehement complaints, but the EPA has decided that Hyundai/Kia erred in calculating the EPA mileage advertised for their cars, and they are going to issue debit cards to owners for the difference.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Jeez! Is it April 1st already? April Fool! :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, they will ascertain the mileage on each unit affected, calculate the difference in fuel costs based on historical data in each local area, and send the owners debit cards. And they will continue doing this as long as you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As one who has posted about this here and elsewhere (and taken my share of crap for doubting the "infallible" CPU in the vehicle), I will smugly take credit for this. :p

OK, I don't get credit, but I did complain to KIA and a few dealers about it. Even if it doesn't turn out to be real, it helps to validate my claims.

My '12 Sportage EX (2.4 2WD Auto) is rated at 32 Hwy but I maintain that could not be done on any level grade. The best I have ever gotten while hypermiling (and tires at 35PSI/no passengers) is 29. That was the CPU estimate whereas my estimate was only 28. I drive 90% highway and average 22-26 MPG (22 being the low city average rating for the vehicle.)

The CPU has always been ~1.1 MPG higher estimate than miles driven/gallons in and never have I even hit 30 MPG, much less 32, even on tanks where the filling station is 30 yards from the highway and I then drove the entire tank close to 400 miles nonstop at 65-70 mph.

I have over 20K miles in my first year of driving. I wonder when my debit card is coming and what price of gas they will use for the calculation (as well as which vehicle they will get actual MPG from -- I have a volunteer...). :huh:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
The website has an area at the bottom to see if your vehicle qualifies but it doesn't seem to actually do anything other than show the image. Anyone have any luck?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I entered my VIN and email addy and received a confirmation email:

Kia Fuel Economy Ratings Adjustment Program Center [email protected] via sendgrid.info

12:13 PM (10 minutes ago)

to me
Kia MPG Information
MPG Information

Thank You

Thank you for submitting your contact information so that you can stay informed with this process. Based on the VIN that you entered, it has been determined that it is an eligible vehicle for Kia’s reimbursement program relating to the adjusted fuel economy ratings.

We will email you shortly, likely in the next few days, to notify you that:

You will be able to log back onto the website, www.KiaMPGinfo.com, to complete your registration and also use a calculator to determine your estimated reimbursement based upon the information you provide.
If you are a current Kia vehicle owner, you will need to visit your preferred Kia dealership to have your ownership and mileage verified. If you no longer own the Kia vehicle, you will be provided with instructions for ownership and mileage verification.
We expect you will then receive compensation in the form of a debit card within 15 business days.

Kia is fully committed to doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly and conveniently as possible. Thank you for being a valued customer.

This is an outbound e-mail only. Please do not respond to it. This email has been sent on behalf of Kia Motors America. Please contact the Kia Fuel Economy Ratings Adjustment Program Center directly at 855.912.5648 if you have any questions about the program or this email.

FAQ

KIA Motors America, Inc.
© Copyright 2012
Privacy Policy
Legal Notice
Overview FAQ News About Resources Contact

The website has an area at the bottom to see if your vehicle qualifies but it doesn't seem to actually do anything other than show the image. Anyone have any luck?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rats - y'all are right - 2011 Sportage not included. Oh, well, I am okay with the mileage on mine vis-a-vis the window sticker. I have actually seen 31 MPG over a 100-mile trip on non-interstate, light traffic, mostly flat road at around 60 MPH, so I know it can do it. Real-world, not likely to see anything near it at 80 MPH even if it is a so-called 'highway' trip. In flat country on good roads you probably can meet the estimate on any of them at 55 MPH which is probably the simulated 'highway' speed. I think it's a real good deal for all you others, though. Beats the hell out of them just paying a big fine to the EPA and you get nothing.
This affair does not affect my interest in buying another KIA - can't wait to see what they have in 2016.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Same boat as saxman. But, I did own a 2012 EX for a few months. Maybe I'll get a debit card worth $0.14!! Hmm, I may get more if I recycle the plastic card instead ;-)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
The 2011's aren't included because it was the 2012's that magically gained 1 mpg without any significant changes. I said this about it in September 2011 when there was a thread about the mpg change:
My guess, and its a guess, but nothing at all. The reason for the change is probably due to government mandates forcing car companies to continually make their vehicles more fuel efficient year to year. Those EPA estimates are just that, estimates. So if the estimate was somewhere between 31 and 32 mpgs, Kia can say the Sportage does 31 hwy mpg in 2011 and 32 hwy mpg in 2012. Then they can point at those numbers and say, "Look, we're improving our mileage!"

I'm sure this will spark some debate, but that's my two cents.
Apparently it was all hogwash and Hyundai/Kia got caught in a lie. It's nice that they're trying to make it right, but how long has this been going on and do other manufactures embellish their figures as well?

So are owners supposed to report their mileage on a yearly basis after we sign up for our initial claim?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
The registration for these cards isn't working as I entered the VIN and pressed "SEND" but nothing happened. Tried this on Opera Mini on my phone and Firefox, IE 9.0 and Google Chrome on my laptop and same problem. I bet the Kia servers are being overloaded or they don't have the capability yet to allow signing up?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,886 Posts
Signed up yesterday with no problem.........

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
So how will this work? How often will they add funds onto the cards? 1x a month? 1x every 3-4 months?

I noticed it says I will need to visit the dealer for them to calculate the mileage etc. Is this going to be a regular thing every time they re-up the cards? I can see this as a BS visit for them to try to get me to buy some crap or extended warranties or something, just to get $.18 added on my card.

Lastly, what is the 15% they are also adding? 15% of the price per gallon? Example would be 15% of $4.00 / gallon= $.60 per gallon for the 8k miles I've driven on top of the 1-2 mpg difference they will refund?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,886 Posts
So how will this work? How often will they add funds onto the cards? 1x a month? 1x every 3-4 months?

I noticed it says I will need to visit the dealer for them to calculate the mileage etc. Is this going to be a regular thing every time they re-up the cards? I can see this as a BS visit for them to try to get me to buy some crap or extended warranties or something, just to get $.18 added on my card.

Lastly, what is the 15% they are also adding? 15% of the price per gallon? Example would be 15% of $4.00 / gallon= $.60 per gallon for the 8k miles I've driven on top of the 1-2 mpg difference they will refund?
You'll know when they get around to providing the details..........

1 - 20 of 92 Posts