Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am feeling up my 2002 Kia Sportage today and I noticed that there is a little bit of drip of fuel on the ground. so I look underneath the car and I see just a little bit of fuel starting to coat the top of the fuel filler hose like the hose has some type of crack up towards the top. Has anyone ever replaced one of these fuel filler hoses? Any guides on how to do this? Is there a way I could just cut out the bad section and replace it with good hose? Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My experience is that you will never be able to fit the OEM fuel tank hose in-between <-> the filler neck and tank, without dropping the fuel tank. In short - No, you will need to drop the fuel tank to replace the hose.

* If you try to "force" the replacement hose in, and there is any rust, etc. on the filler neck / or supporting body panels, prepare to be doing minor / moderate body work. Tip: use a pair of (plumbers) large slip-joint pliers to break the seal on the fuel tank hose, with clamps loose to the point of falling off, before attempting removal. Good luck w/ the repair.

·
Registered
02 Sportage, 95 Trans Am, 05 Crossfire, 04 Venture
253 Posts
I just replaced the tranny lines on my 2002 Sportage. It sat for a few months and I went to start it up and fuel was spraying all over the ground under the tank. I looked at the lines and there appears to be a leak from a line attached to the frame just next to the tank. So if you have a small leak it could become a large leak if it's a rusty line.

I haven't attempted to replace the lines yet. I feel the brake lines are the next to fail. This thing has sat more than it's been driven because it keeps requiring repairs.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
That happened on the '01 Sportage, right @ the bend in the lines at the back pass. wheel well. Ended up cutting the line back 4-5 inches on the frame / -> towards the motor, used (high pressure rated) fuel injection hose w/ (2) screw clamps on either side to repair. The repair held up well for several years until rust claimed the vehicle. Hope the info. helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts