Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
302 Posts
I think this affects all turbo Sorentos, they should all at least get checked, but you can check your VIN: Recalls

View attachment 119891
I'll bring this up when I go in for my first oil change, but when you put your VIN in owners.Kia did you see this Incomplete Recal? When I input my VIN this did not show (yes I have the 2.5T).

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll bring this up when I go in for my first oil change, but when you put your VIN in owners.Kia did you see this Incomplete Recal? When I input my VIN this did not show (yes I have the 2.5T).
Yes, I get the incomplete recall with my VIN. I may be wrong about affecting all 2.5turbos, maybe it's only a certain date range.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
I think this affects all turbo Sorentos, they should all at least get checked, but you can check your VIN: Recalls

View attachment 119891
July 8, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V519000
Fuel Leak at Pipe Connection
A fuel leak increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V519000
Manufacturer Kia Motors America
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 21,575
Summary
Kia Motor America (Kia) is recalling certain 2021 Sorento and 2021-2022 K5 vehicles equipped with 2.5L turbocharged engines. Fuel may leak at the pipe connection between the high-pressure fuel pump and fuel rail.
Remedy
Dealers will inspect and tighten, or replace the fuel pipe as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 21, 2021. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC214.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
28 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have known about the recall had I not seen this post.

Bump for all the 2.5 turbo kia community. Please get this recall as fuel leaking seems pretty dangerous to me.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige XLine AWD
15 Posts
Found on this link
You can type in your VIN here . The couple Kia dealerships I called in DFW didn't know about the recall yet as it is very new. I was looking to take my Sorrento on a 1200 mile road trip next week, but am seriously debating doing that. I'm sure we'd be fine, but leaking fuel is a risk I'm not sure I want to take.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
302 Posts
Found on this link
Don't forget to search, there's a post on this about 3 posts older than yours. Now we have two of the same exact discussion. Thanks for trying to get the word out though!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
Thanks to this post I found out about the recall. I have an appointment August 2nd. Hopefully it's a simple fix. The dealership already had the recall listed when I went to set up the appointment.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige XLine AWD
15 Posts
Don't forget to search, there's a post on this about 3 posts older than yours. Now we have two of the same exact discussion. Thanks for trying to get the word out though!
Sorry about that.. I definitely searched yesterday. Guess I didn't scroll down enough. Surprised this wasn't getting more attention.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
302 Posts
Sorry about that.. I definitely searched yesterday. Guess I didn't scroll down enough. Surprised this wasn't getting more attention.
It seems to only be affecting certain build dates and that may be why it's not getting so much attention. For instance; my VIN doesn't show the recall and I've had my Sorento for about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems to only be affecting certain build dates and that may be why it's not getting so much attention. For instance; my VIN doesn't show the recall and I've had my Sorento for about 4 weeks.
Yeah, this recall does seem to be more limited than I initially thought, which is good. Unfortunately, I'm in the recall group. I scheduled my service for 7/21. I've had my car for a few months now with over 3,500 miles so I'll have the recall work done along with my first oil change.

Fingers crossed, my car actually doesn't have an issue. Or, at worst, the pipe just needs to be torqued tighter. In today's world, I'm afraid what the wait time would be if I need a new pipe. And I have no idea if a faulty pipe means I can't drive the car or what. I guess I'll find out next week.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
302 Posts
Yeah, this recall does seem to be more limited than I initially thought, which is good. Unfortunately, I'm in the recall group. I scheduled my service for 7/21. I've had my car for a few months now with over 3,500 miles so I'll have the recall work done along with my first oil change.

Fingers crossed, my car actually doesn't have an issue. Or, at worst, the pipe just needs to be torqued tighter. In today's world, I'm afraid what the wait time would be if I need a new pipe. And I have no idea if a faulty pipe means I can't drive the car or what. I guess I'll find out next week.
I'm half way to my first oil change and will be asking to have it looked at for safety.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,768 Posts
So far we have had 3 in my dealership, all have passed the test, retorqued and back on the road....

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
71 Posts
So far we have had 3 in my dealership, all have passed the test, retorqued and back on the road....
Can you take a picture of what connection was under-torqued? I'm a mechanic myself and would like to do a quick visual while i find time to go to dealership. Our car is under this recall.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
302 Posts
Can you take a picture of what connection was under-torqued? I'm a mechanic myself and would like to do a quick visual while i find time to go to dealership. Our car is under this recall.
DITTO! Please, including proper torque specs. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A status of “Recall Incomplete” means your vehicle is one of the impacted ones?
If you typed your VIN number into the website above, and the recall notice appeared with recall incomplete, then your vehicle is affected and needs to be checked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any guidance on what to expect if worse comes to worse and the fuel pipe is one of the bad parts?
1. What's the current lead time for replacement?

2. If the lead time is weeks/months, can the sorento still be driven? Or are you looking at getting a loaner until it can be fixed?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts