Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

Having a properly functioning fuel system helps keep your car running smoothly. Dirty fuel injectors can cause numerous problems including a lean fuel mixture, misfires, a rough idle, higher carbon emissions and poor gas mileage. Cleaning fuel injectors is a relatively easy process.

Maintaining Clean Injectors
To keep your engine running smoothly and your fuel injectors free from obstruction, there are a few simple things you can do. First, don't use cheap no-name gas. Cheap gas typically doesn't have the same amount of detergents as its brand-name counterparts. These detergents help to clean your fuel system and are usually well worth the extra few cents per gallon.Also replace your fuel filter at the manufacturer recommended intervals as well. Doing so will help eliminate impurities that can gunk up your injectors. Adding aftermarket fuel-injector cleaner to your gas tank doesn't hurt, either. Companies such as Lucas Oil and STP offer inexpensive additives that help maintain a clean fuel system.

Cleaning Your Fuel Injectors in the Engine
If your injectors do get dirty enough to affect the performance of your engine, there are ways to clean them out, such as leaving them in the engine. To clean your cars fuel injectors in the engine, locate them and reroute the fuel system so that it no longer pulls fuel from the tank.Disconnect the fuel pump or hook up a U-tube that will reroute the gas from the fuel pump directly back into the tank. After disconnecting the fuel lines, hook up a pressurized fuel injector cleaning kit directly to the fuel rail. Such a kit can cost up to a few hundred dollars. The fuel-injector kit is a pressurized system that will pump injector cleaner directly through the injectors while the engine is running. After cleaning the injectors for about 10 to 15 minutes, it should be evident if it worked.Use caution working with the fuel system. Wear appropriate clothing, including protective eye wear.

Cleaning Your Fuel Injectors Out of the Engine
If cleaning your injectors while they are in the engine does not fix them, it may be necessary to remove them from the engine to clean them more intensely. This is a much more labor intensive process and requires expensive equipment. A fuel-injector cleaning machine can cost thousands of dollars and, depending on the car, removing the fuel injectors can be difficult. It may be wiser to take your car to an auto mechanic.Even if you have to take your car to a mechanic to have the injectors removed from the engine and cleaned, it will almost certainly be cheaper than buying new injectors. An advantage of having your fuel injectors cleaned in a specialized machine is that you are actually able to see the spray pattern of the injector, which allows you to make sure it is working properly.

Thanks and Regards
George Brown

·
Registered
2007 KIA Spectra5
3 Posts
Thank you, George. This is quite informative. I have been running my engine with gasoline without any additive or injector cleaner. I wasn't sure any of those aftermarket injector might be appropriate for my car. I will now consider the injector cleaner.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,171 Posts
Two things; George hasn't been her since late 2012 and was likely just to trolling and/or promoting his own interests. Don't trust everything you read on the internet. Even on a vehicle specific site as this one. Kia has it's own recommendations as far as fuel system cleaners, fuel injection cleaning etc. Read your manual.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had fuel injected cars since 1984, both petrol and diesel. One petrol did 113,000 miles in 7 years. In all that time I have never used any additives or had any injector maintenance carried out and have pretty much used supermarket fuel exclusively.

Why.

Its because all modern fuel is very good quality and has decent cleaning agents included by the distributor.

So save your money. Just keep filling up and enjoy your car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To add to the above Kia along with the makers off every car I have previously owned clearly say in the handbook to use fuel to the relevant BSEN standard which includes all the detergents required and not to use any additives.

Despite what GeorgeBrown says in the original post there is no such thing as "cheap gas" in the UK. It all meets the necessary BSEN requirements and thus nothing else is necessary regardless of where you buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts