Kia Forum banner

fuel filter or fuel pump?

34K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  kiario04 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was driving on the highway today and all the sudden, the car would act like it was about to stall then 5 secs later it stalls. I try starting it back up immedaitly but it doesnt start. I let it sit for maybe 5 to 10 secs and it would start up but run vary weak then stall again in a matter of 3 secs if not less. So, I checked for any leaks because I could smell a little bit of gas but its not vary strong at all nor does it stay around. Its not leaking anywhere either. After the car has been sitting for maybe 30 secs, it starts up and goes just fine. It did this to me twice 2day. When I turn the key all the way to run, I hear the hummmm sound so That shows the fuel pump is kicking in but im not sure what it is. A few weeks ago the car would go from running great to being sluggish but wouldnt stall then after 30 secs, it would go back to normal. Im hoping its the fuel filter due to price.

#3 ·
well lately, Iv been letting my tank go down to the line next to the e and i fill her up. Over all Their had been times that I have pushed it due to being low on cash but thats only happened maybe 4 times maybe 5 but not recently. If its the external fuel filter, where is that located?

#11 ·
well I checked and the filter is not their. It has the space for it but no filter. Maybe it is inside the gas tank. I checked the kiatech site and its stating its on the side like you two have mentioned. I just got ahold of the local kia dealer and sure enough its inside the tank. That should be easy to do. remove the back seat, remove the plate and disconnect the unit from the tank. Is their a special tool needed to disconnect the line from the unit?

#12 ·
Thanks for the pic pilot. That helped out alot. I was beginning to think that I was blind because I couldnt find the the filter anywhere. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post the pics. High 5 lol

#14 ·
yea I was hoping the same thing. I looked all over the place for the filter and all they had was the 1 for the 03's. in fact they dont have any record of the part number I recieved from the dealership. How weird is that? I checked at the local autozone, advanced auto and pepboys but no one seems to have it but owell. The car hasnt given me any problems since that day, however iv been much lighter on the gas when moving from a complete stop. Its been 3 days and it hasnt given me any problems.

#15 ·
This is just a guess, it did happen to me the first time a couple of years ago. I had a stalling and hesitation problem with a cold engine. Thought of fuel filter as you did and checked many things. End result was condensation under the engine cover dripping down onto the plug wires. The cure I used was to allow the engine to warm up to the point I knew all the moisture was gone. Then sprayed the wires throughly with silicone spray to "seal?" them, anyway it worked, I now spray them once a year just to be sure and haven't had the problem since. Tip, if you do the spray with engine off as you do not want any silicone spray picked up by the intake which may kill your O2 sensor.

Hope this helps, jcwit

#16 ·
hmmmm, you may have a point the day it happened it was wet out but not raining. NOw that I think of it, one of my wires was loose just a bit so I simple pushed it back down. I did this the second time it did this to me. Iv been driving in the same weather conditions for the fast few days and It hasnt givin me any probs so maybe your right.

#17 ·
Ok, the other day the car stalled on me twice. This time it was dry so I know its not the moisture. I did notice that if floor it to 6gs in 1st and 2nd gear and when I reach third it bougs really bad then a few secs it stalls. After it stalls I hear a weird "tic" sound but its a rapid tic sound. As soon as I pop the hood it stops regardless how long I wait to pop it. So the noise stops and I decide to push the plug wires in but they are not sticking out. I then start the car and gives me no problems. Would a lack of fuel cause it to stall? If I drive normal, the car runs fine. Doesnt give me any problems.

#19 ·
NA I getting close to that. I only did it when I have to get in another lnae quick or get out of the way. We have 4 lane highways and being slow will get you no where. BUt the point is that Iv done it before a few times and its never done it to me and why now?

#21 ·
We'll sometimes I have to floor it to get into the right lane some people dont want to move to I have to do something. Alot of people dont do anything regardless if they see a turn signal or anything when you cruise down the highway doin 60 or 30. Traffic here gets really bad around 5 (stop and go).

#23 ·
lol ok. Anyways, I talked to a friend and he mentioned that maybe the ground wire between the motor and the frame on the passenger side becomes loose when I floor it and shift gears. Loose enough for the car to run slugish then stall with in seconds. After it does it stall, I pul off to the side of the road and as im rolling, im trying to start the car back up. It cranks but doesnt start. This reminds me back a few months ago when I justr finished replacing my clutch, timing belt and headers. I had everything hooked up but the ground wire mentioned and it cranked but didnt start. I as soon as I hooked it up, waalaa, she started right away. So im thinking if thats the case with this problem, then maybe Il sand both ends cuz the bolt on the timing cover is somewhat rusted.

#24 ·
That wire could be the problem. Not related to a KIA RIO, but I had a '72 Vette that the hot wire to the starter would ground out of the frame when the engine torqued over. Worked on that problem for about 2 months till I discovered what was happening.

#25 ·
Ok, im hoping so. Thats an easy fix but since you mention the power wire grounding out I check for all the wires and see if they are loose. Thanks for understanding because I know some of this may seem confusing lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.