Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage 2wd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the fuel filter proprietary hose connectors on my sporty do not want to come off, I have tried : a "special tool" as well as "swearing" to no avail. the clamps don't want to release, ugh, is there a work around? is there a way to just cut these annoying things off and use regular hose clamps to attach to the new fuel filter? any advice for a work around greatly appreciated. thanks. -jay

ps. I have noticed the original equipment fuel line seems quite stiff, is it metal with a rubber coating?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the fuel filter proprietary hose connectors on my sporty do not want to come off, I have tried : a "special tool" as well as "swearing" to no avail. the clamps don't want to release, ugh, is there a work around? is there a way to just cut these annoying things off and use regular hose clamps to attach to the new fuel filter? any advice for a work around greatly appreciated. thanks. -jay

ps. I have noticed the original equipment fuel line seems quite stiff, is it metal with a rubber coating?
Greetings,

Swearing doesn't work, I've tried that too. :D

With some PB Blaster to clean out the crud inside the connectors, some small "hobby" screwdrivers, and some patience, you can manipulate the plastic discs holding the line in outward to allow the fuel line to release without damaging the plastic connector,

the OE fuel line is plastic, btw - if you cut it, you may run into problems trying to get a high-pressure fuel injection rated fuel line over it <-> the plastic fuel hose.. (All things being equal, I'd replace with new OE if cut.)

You can use a mini-hacksaw blade to cut the metal lines right against the fuel filter, leaving enough tube on so you can use a pair of needle-nose vise-grips to grab the lines & manipulate the connectors to release per above,

Disconnecting the bottom feed to the fuel filter at the frame rail may also help, giving you extra slack to manipulate the filter,

Pulling the battery and battery tray may also help free up some room.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage 2wd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotta cruise
could you please try to elaborate on/clarify this?

"you can manipulate the plastic discs holding the line in outward to allow the fuel line to release without damaging the plastic connector"

Plastic discs? am I missing something? what I see are the twin ribbed plastic depression clips on the fuel line, I am assuming you press these in with the "hobby screwdrivers" I have read elsewhere that you are to push down on the entire fuel line fitting, then press in the "depression cips" then supposedly it releases. any additional help greatly appreciated. -jay
also
I had already sprayed it well with PB Blaster and applied pressure to clips with mini screwdrivers to no avail... one of the ribbed depression clips is partialy broken, not sure it will ever release like that. interesting suggestion on the mini hacksaw blade, I had wondered how to cut it without creating sparks. -j

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
gotta cruise
could you please try to elaborate on/clarify this?

"you can manipulate the plastic discs holding the line in outward to allow the fuel line to release without damaging the plastic connector"

Plastic discs? am I missing something? what I see are the twin ribbed plastic depression clips on the fuel line, I am assuming you press these in with the "hobby screwdrivers" I have read elsewhere that you are to push down on the entire fuel line fitting, then press in the "depression cips" then supposedly it releases. any additional help greatly appreciated. -jay
also
I had already sprayed it well with PB Blaster and applied pressure to clips with mini screwdrivers to no avail... one of the ribbed depression clips is partialy broken, not sure it will ever release like that. interesting suggestion on the mini hacksaw blade, I had wondered how to cut it without creating sparks. -j
Sorry, bad terminology - I was referring to the plastic retaining ring, attached to the "depression clips" on either side, that are supposed to (retract) when you depress the clips on the side of the connector, in-turn releasing the fitting from the connector..

the hobby screwdriver(s) are used to "help" spread the retaining clips along towards the outer edge of the connector to release the fitting,

normally you would use the quick-disconnect tool, applying upward pressure to accomplish the same, while pushing the fitting further up into the connector to release it - but the fuel filter is in an awkward spot / the lines are short / the connectors get crudded up,

if no-joy on disconnecting at the fuel filter or hack-sawing the lines off at the filter, consider 1) disconnecting the feed line to the fuel filter from the frame rail, and 2) disconnecting the feed line to the fuel rail by removing the banjo bolt at at the back of the rail (follow the line from the fuel filter to the back of the rail).. then you can work on removing the fuel filter at a bench / in an open space..

--
** I only post this for an alternate method -if- the fuel disconnect tool isn't working / the connectors have been 'mangled' by a previous filter change, etc. (as was my case)...

* Use the correct tool whenever possible,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts