Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 KIA Sportage LS. Last Thursday, I was the recipient of some really bad gas which has caused my Sportage to idle badley and loose power. The "Check Engine" light has lit, so I took it to a parts store who ran scanned the codes to tell me what was wrong. The following codes were given:

PO300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
PO304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
PO303 - Cylinger 3 Misfire Detected
PO171 - System too Lean
PO301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected.

I contact a dealership and they suggested to save some money that I should change out the Fuel Filter and spark plugs.

Where is the fuel filter located on the 2001 KIA and what procedures do I need to use to remove the Filter.

Thank for your help.

:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
The fuel filter is bolted to the frame rail below right of the battery. It is cylinder shaped and has a fuel line at each end.

Procedure for removing it:

Find the fuel tank access plate under the rear seat. With the engine idling disconnect the fuel pump wiring harness and let the engine stall. This relieves the fuel pressure.

The lines on the fuel filter itself are "quick connect" fittings. Depress the tabs on the fuel line and push TOWARDS the filter. The line should pop off. It's difficult to depress the tabs and you CAN use a pair of pliers but be careful or you'll damage the fitting.

Reverse to install new filter. Reconnect fuel pump, start the engine, and check for leaks.

You may not need to change the spark plugs. Clear the CEL's by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnect and see if the check engine light stays off. If it does you are OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
99 sportage with issues

so i have had the same problem as above, loss of power, hesitations, codes that read misfire number 4, have replaced wires, plugs, fuel filter, coil paks, am very tired of working on it, and not getting to the issue,
i can reaset the check engine light and run it easy, as in dont ever try to give it more gas then it needs.. but after few minutes it hesitates again, and the check engine light flashes, , so did you ever fix yours ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guy with 99 sportage get some maf cleaner and a can of Carb cleaner. Use only mad cleaner and clean your maf sensor. The take the Carb cleaner and clean you iac valve thou roughly. Check PVC valve. Shake it see if it rattles easily. Check seal around it for crack. They will affect your vacuum. Turn car on. Use the rest of your Carb cleaner and spray all seals of you vacuum systems and tubes. If idle goes up u have a leak somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts