Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five fuel-efficient driving techniques:

• Accelerate gently – in city driving you can conserve as much as 15% of your fuel by easing the pedal gently and gradually. To maximize your fuel efficiency, you should take about 5 seconds to accelerate to 20 km/h (12 mph). Imagine an egg under your accelerator pedal and an open, nearly full cub of coffee on your dashboard. Do not break the shell or spill the drink! For manual transmission, you should shift between 2000-2500 rpm and use a moderate throttle position.
  • Maintain a steady speed – avoid unnecessary acceleration, helps enhance traffic flow, minimize exhaust emissions. Speed variations caused fuel use to increase by 20% on one test and 48% on an other test, but the average speed remained the same, so constant speed saves the most fuel. Consider using cruise control for highway driving, however, skilled driving can be even more fuel efficient than cruise control in certain circumstances. For example, on hilly terrain and where traffic conditions permit, you will consume less fuel by allowing your speed to drop when you travel uphill and building your momentum again when you roll downhill.
  • Anticipate traffic – avoid the unnecessary fuel consumption – and safety risk – associated with hard braking and rapid acceleration by reading the road ahead and anticipating situations before they arise. The principle behind this tip calls on you to maintain your vehicle's momentum and avoid coming to a full stop unless absolutely necessary.
  • Coast to decelerate – by predicting slowdowns and removing your foot from the accelerator as early as possible, you can decrease your speed, conserve fuel and save money. The reason is that most vehicles today are equipped with fuel-injection systems that automatically shut off the flow of fuel to the engine when the accelerator is released. When the engine speed drops to a preset number of rpm's, the injection system restarts the fuel flow. Keeping your foot on the accelerator and braking at the last minute wastes fuel. Coasting to decelerate also reduces wear and tear on your tires and brakes, which in turn lowers your maintenance, repair and servicing costs.
    If the accelerator is released when driving at high speed, fuel supply to the engine will be halted automatically. Then, when the engine speed is lowered, about as much fuel as will be necessary for idling will be supplied again. This means that releasing the accelerator as early as possible can be a good way to minimize carbon dioxide and fuel consumption.
  • Avoid high speeds – Each vehicle operates most efficiently at a given speed. While this speed varies from model to model, most cars are most fuel efficient when travelling between 50 and 80 km/h (31 and 50 mph). For example, a vehicle needs 20% more fuel to go 120 km/h (75 mph) than to go 100 km/h (62 mph).
    The reduction in travel time does not compensate for this added fuel consumption and expense. For a typical 25 km (16 mi) trip, you will only save 2 minutes but use 20% more fuel by going 120 km/h (75 mph), rather than 100 km/h (62 mph). For a 100 km (62 mi) trip, for example it's equivalent to throwing a toonie ($2) out the window every 100 km (62 mi) or every hour!

Other trips and tricks:

• Combine trips – cold engines use more fuel than warm ones. As a result, trips that are shorter than 5 km (3 mi) can be hard on your pocketbook, because your vehicle's engine never reaches its peak operating temperature – the temperature at which it converts energy most efficiently. This is especially true in cold weather. To optimize your vehicle's fuel efficiency, run several errands one after the other, and plan your routes before starting out to avoid backtracking and rush-hour traffic.
  • Avoid unnecessary idling – turn off your engine when you park for more than 60 seconds, except in traffic. The average vehicle with a 3L engine waster 300 ml (more than 1 cup) of fuel for every 10 minutes it idles.
    Contrary to popular belief, excessive idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to warm it up is to drive it. With today's computer-controlled engines, no more than 2-3 minutes of idles is usually enough warm-up time before starting to drive – even in cold winter days. (but make sure that windows are free from snow and properly defrosted before driving away).
    Under tests in a cold chamber and 3 vehicles, each was cooled to -18ºC (0ºF) and driven over a simulated urban driving cycle using first a 5 minute warm-up and then a 10 minute before driven. Test results on 5 min warm-up fuel consumption increased by 7-14%, with a 10 minute it increased from 12-19%.
    You can help reduce the impact of cold starts – and reduce idling times – by using a block heater on a timer. This device warms the coolant, which in turn warm the engine block and lubricants. The engine will start more easily and reach its proper operating temperature faster. Also, it will not have to work as hard to pump oil through the block. At -20ºC (-4F), block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by as much as 10%. For a single short trip at -25ºC (-13F), you fuel savings could be in the order of 25%. To limit the amount of electricity used to operate your block heater, put in on a timer so that it runs 2 hours before you have to leave.
    What's often forgotten is that idling warms only the engine – not the wheel bearings, steering, suspension, transmission and tires. These parts also need to be warmed up, and the only way to do that is to drive the vehicle. Until the engine temperature begins to rise, it's a good idea to avoid high speeds and rapid acceleration.
  • Measure tire pressure monthly – tires leak air, in fact, more than 2/3rds of vehicles on the road have at least one under-inflated tire. You can extend the life your tires by 10,000 km (6200 mi) and reduce fuel consumption by up to 4% simply by maintaining proper pressure.
    Measure the pressure of your ties once a month. To find the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle, refer to the tire-information placard, located on the edge of the driver's door or doorpost or in your owner's manual.
  • Avoid carrying unnecessary weight – for example in a mid-sized car, fuel consumption increases by about 1% for every 25 kg (55 lbs) of weight in the vehicle.
  • Remove roof racks when not in use – depending on the shape of the item this drag can increase fuel consumption by as much as 20% on the highway. Use a removable roof rack and install it only when needed.
  • Use a/c sparingly – use the vehicle's flow-through ventilation to cool off. A/C can increase a vehicle's fuel consumption by up to 20% in stop-and-go traffic. Select the recirculate option, rather than the fresh-air alternative, to reduce your vehicle's fuel consumption by about 4%.
  • Use a fuel-consumption display – on most vehicles it can inform you of immediate and average fuel-consumption readings. Although these systems in itself does not save fuel, many drivers report consuming 15% less fuel by acting on the feedback the systems provide.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
in melbourne, if you took 5 seconds to get to 20 two things may happen:

1) i'd fall asleep in the process
2) i'd get someone running next to me with a baseball bat telling me to gtfo of the way

i'm not sure how global towns compare, but that's just so impractical it's not doable.

other than that, there are some handy hints in there for those less informed

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Exactly what I said in a recent post on Spectra gas mileage.

http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-2003-2008-spectra5-2004/81153-mpg-your-spectra-cerato-2.html ..

As far as others with different ideas... Let them waste their gas and go around..
My habits keep me within the normal traffic flow and keep me and my family safe. Yes I would like to travel faster than 70 but the penalty I would have to pay in gas make no logical sense.

Usually the "cars" that do not get the mileage of the same model and years of others have a variable called the driver that causes such poor mileage...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Couldn't be you...could it?
I'm not in Australia
Dave

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
problem is, your text can be interpreted in several ways.

back on topic, the consumption of our car is generally 'ok' for the type of chaotic suburban driving it goes through every day. I'm quite happy with 8-9L/100 when my other car (V8) which used to be the daily car was using around 15-16L/100 to do the same treck, being driven sedately.

Due to the timing/plug/unresolved ping issue in our car we are forced to run it on 95RON fuel at a minimum to eliminate all pinging, which currently here has spiked to around $1.65cpl - obviously this is not fun when combined with a topsy turvy mileage result for each tank. Having said that, when our car first started returning inconsistent results in economy for the same temp/driving patterns, i started driving it like a nana. Short shifting, getting off the throttle early, smooooooth steering. And both times i did this, the economy was worse. The Rio has a power band between 2000-4000rpm where the dual stage intake valves will change the path off the airflow to increase torque. The key to better economy with the gamma 3 1.6 at least is to keep your revs between 2000-4000rpm, and the economy is markedly better. This is in the manual however. In other words, the harder i drive this car the better the fuel economy tends to be.

Also regarding accelerating to 20KM/h over 5 seconds, like i said earlier, in this crowded car-per-capita environment full of bogans with instantaneous road rage afflictions, it is not doable, and no one would ever get anywhere. It's borderline ridiculous to be honest.

There is no one-way of achieving good fuel economy, every car is different and will react differently due to its architecture.

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
I know and the Canadian government is also wrong...
This I don't need

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as it states its info for the Canadian market and its suggested tips to help improve your fuel economy, you can either except it or ignore it, but just don't complain of poor mileage if you do.
I think there is a lot of good info there that many people ignore (I've been on this forum for over 5 years and have seen this come up time and time again) particular the situation with regards idling and particular if they have a remote start.

·
Registered
KIA Optima and Sorento
7 Posts
That's a really nice advice I ever had on internet. Thanks for ways to reduce fuel costs in vehicle. I believe it also need to review again to provide more mileage tips and by choosing more efficient vehicle in 2017 or 16..

Good day.

·
Registered
Maruti Suzuki Celerio 2016
2 Posts
hi,
Here are six more easy ways you can reduce your fuel consumption—and costs—by as much as five percent:

1. Avoid unnecessary idling.
Turn off your engine when you are stopped for more than 60 seconds, except when in traffic. The average vehicle with a three-litre engine wastes 300 millilitres—more than one cup—of fuel for every 10 minutes it idles. For more information on idling and how to avoid this wasteful habit,

2. Measure tire pressure monthly.
Operating a vehicle with its tires underinflated by 8 psi (56 kPa) can reduce the life of the tires by 10,000 kilometres and increase the vehicle’s fuel consumption by four percent. You can find the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle on the tire-information placard—located on the edge of the driver’s door or doorpost—or in your owner’s manual.

3. Avoid carrying unnecessary weight.
Remove items such as salt, sand and sports equipment from your vehicle before setting out. The less weight in your vehicle, the less fuel your engine will need—and the fewer carbon dioxide emissions your vehicle will produce. Consider that the fuel consumption of a mid-size car increases by about one percent for every 25 kilograms of weight in the vehicle.

4.Remove roof or bicycle racks when not in use.
Use a removable roof or bicycle rack and install it only when needed. By avoiding the extra bulk, you’ll streamline your vehicle and minimize aerodynamic drag—the air and wind resistance your vehicle must overcome to accelerate and maintain a constant speed. Depending on the shape of a vehicle’s roof rack and the items it carries, aerodynamic drag can increase fuel consumption by as much as 20 percent on the highway.

5.Use air conditioning sparingly.
Air conditioning can increase a vehicle’s fuel consumption by as much as 20 percent. Try opening a window while driving in the city and use the vehicle’s flow-through ventilation system with the windows up while on the highway. If air conditioning is a luxury you simply don’t want to give up, select the re-circulate option as opposed to the fresh-air alternative to help minimize the impact of air conditioning on fuel consumption.

6. Use a fuel-consumption display.
See the impact of the five fuel-efficient driving techniques firsthand with the help of a fuel-consumption display—a feature now standard in many vehicles. (Some newer vehicles come equipped with even more sophisticated displays that analyze speed variations, shift points for manual transmissions, and driving behaviours such as acceleration and braking times.) Calculate the amount of fuel you consume on trips and challenge yourself to do better. Many drivers consume 15 percent less fuel by acting on the feedback that fuel-consumption displays provide.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
824 Posts
Another thing people may not realize is if you have snow tires and your car has a sticker listing tire pressure at say 32psi, you need to follow recommended pressure for snow tires and not sticker - e.g. 37psi with tires I use.
I normally over inflate summer tires (all seasons) by 2psi too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts