Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our Hyundai Entourage gets anwhere between 12~14MPG around town.

Had the van out for a run at the weekend (Sarasota to Legoland @ Winter Haven) and the van upped the MPG to an astonishing 21.9MPG! :rolleyes:

Not sure how good that is compared to others but it's a heck of a lot better than around town for sure.

That was with 2 adults and 4 kids at roughly 72MPH once on I75 & I4. Plus assorted gubbins!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
The average I usually hear about in my area is mid-high teens around town and low-mid 20s on the highway. Driving conditions greatly affect the mileage these vans get.

There was an older gentleman that had an 07 short Sedona that claimed to get 25 around town and 30+ on the highway. He said he rarely reached the speed limit, especially on the highway. I actually passed him on our local "highway" one day and he was going less than the posted 55mph limit. The Kia mileage chart peaks at about 55, and decreases greatly after that, so that explains this. High mileage numbers can be achieved, but most people don't have the self control to drive conservatively enough to get them.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Well our Hyundai Entourage gets anwhere between 12~14MPG around town.

Had the van out for a run at the weekend (Sarasota to Legoland @ Winter Haven) and the van upped the MPG to an astonishing 21.9MPG! :rolleyes:

Not sure how good that is compared to others but it's a heck of a lot better than around town for sure.
21.9 MPG (US Gallons) is pretty good for a people-mover on the highway. It's quite common to get 2/3 of the highway economy in town, so 12 MPG seems a bit low.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
We set the cruise at 65mph on the highway, we can drive to the inlaws and back on a half tank, 270 miles.
We have been averaging 16mpg in the city so far using the app on my phone.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The average I usually hear about in my area is mid-high teens around town and low-mid 20s on the highway. Driving conditions greatly affect the mileage these vans get.

There was an older gentleman that had an 07 short Sedona that claimed to get 25 around town and 30+ on the highway. He said he rarely reached the speed limit, especially on the highway. I actually passed him on our local "highway" one day and he was going less than the posted 55mph limit. The Kia mileage chart peaks at about 55, and decreases greatly after that, so that explains this. High mileage numbers can be achieved, but most people don't have the self control to drive conservatively enough to get them.
Wow - 25 around town..:eek:

Then again, is he the only person in the van and driving like Mary Poppins?

I'd have thought 25MPG on the highway was pretty good!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
21.9 MPG (US Gallons) is pretty good for a people-mover on the highway. It's quite common to get 2/3 of the highway economy in town, so 12 MPG seems a bit low.

12MPG was mainly when we first got the van (data from previous owners) and had not reset the meter. I think it's more in the 14MPG range but I only rarely drive the van if I'm honest.

When I have a chance I'll try resetting the meter and driving at a constant speed for a reasonable distance, to see if 55MPH is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We set the cruise at 65mph on the highway, we can drive to the inlaws and back on a half tank, 270 miles.
We have been averaging 16mpg in the city so far using the app on my phone.
Spike what do you get on the highway at 65MPH for average consumption? Do you have the economy meter or are you just calculating MPG based on tank fill ups with the app?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Spike what do you get on the highway at 65MPH for average consumption? Do you have the economy meter or are you just calculating MPG based on tank fill ups with the app?
We get in the high 20's.
Our trip to Chicago this summer we got 29.7mpg, no traffic.
Return trip was 21.8mpg with lots of traffic, it took us over 1 hour to go 10 miles at one point.
3.5hr trip took 5hrs.

No trip computer in our van, I use the app everytime I fill the van.
Enter the miles and the total amount of fuel and it tells you how far you drove and your MPG.
It also tells you how much you have spent on fuel year to date.
I also use it for my truck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We get in the high 20's.
Our trip to Chicago this summer we got 29.7mpg, no traffic.
Return trip was 21.8mpg with lots of traffic, it took us over 1 hour to go 10 miles at one point.
3.5hr trip took 5hrs.

No trip computer in our van, I use the app everytime I fill the van.
Enter the miles and the total amount of fuel and it tells you how far you drove and your MPG.
It also tells you how much you have spent on fuel year to date.
I also use it for my truck.
That's very impressive indeed! :)

Do you have the LWB or SWB version - I'm wondering if weight has anything to do with this figure?

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's very impressive indeed! :)

Do you have the LWB or SWB version - I'm wondering if weight has anything to do with this figure?
LWB, 3rd row folds into the floor, family of 5.
Windows up, a/c on, tires at 40psi, nothing strapped to the roof, cruise set at 65, no faster, sit back and enjoy the ride, life's to short to speed everywhere.
I do not know the weight difference between the SWB and LWB.
Ours is the base model, no power sliding doors etc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah well there's a big difference in tire pressure I see - I had a new set of tyres fitted (Nexen) when we bought the van and thought the tire pressure looked a bit low all round.

I'll try them up at 40PSI - I've done this before on cars with good results.

I just wasn't sure how high to put the pressure up on the van.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can run your tire pressure as high as the tire will let you, if the tire is rated at 35psi you cant go over that.
If its rated at 60psi you can easily go 40psi.
I run all my cars at 40psi in the summer and 35psi in the winter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I'm feeling quite pleased with myself - I actually briefly saw an indicated average 27.1 MPG (US) yesterday on a run between Sarasota and Tampa but that might have been a glitch when resetting and changing speeds.

I played around with different speeds 55MPH, 60MPH & 70MPH and did notice variable results.

On the journey up to Tampa I was originally getting 21~22MPG @70MPH

Then dropped to 65MPH and the MPG showed 24~25!

Tried 60MPH and that brought the MPG up to an impressive 26.7MPG.

On the way back to Sarasota I tried doing 55MPH over the long low bridge but I was only getting 20~21MPG. I suspect that this was due to wind coming over the sea in the St Pete's area? :eek:

Further down the road, I went back up to 65~70 and was regularly getting over 26MPG.

At one point there was a truck going at 65MPH and I decided to try a bit of "dafting" - that's when the MPG went up to 27.7MPG. I was keeping a reasonable distance from the truck but I'm sure if you were so inclined, you could seriously improve your MPG by sitting 10 feet off the back of the truck ;)

With the tires/tyres well pumped up were are now getting just under 16MPG around town - I suspect it would be more if my GF wasn't driving of course ;)

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I typically achieve the following highway MPG in my Sedona:
55 MPH = 28~29 MPG
60 MPH = 27~28 MPG
65 MPH = 25~26 MPG
70 MPH = 23~24 MPG
75 MPH = 21~22 MPG
80 MPH = 19~20 MPG
85 MPH = 17~18 MPG
I don't do enough city driving to get accurate calculations. Usually set the cruise at about 57 MPH on a 2 lane, 62 MPH on the interstate.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
nice info Greg, shows how speed has quite an effect on mileage and this would apply on any vehicle more so on something that is higher as apposed to a low sedan.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I find it interesting that only a difference of 30 MPH can lop off 10 MPG.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, that's a great list of fuel economy vs. speed results there Greg!

The van certainly doesn't do well around town and pretty well gets pickup truck MPG but at least with the tire/tyre pressures up it's not getting 12~13MPG anymore :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts