Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum, but I thought I'd throw in my .02 on the fuel economy discussion. I took my 2005 Sorento LX 5 speed manual on a trip from Burlington, VT to the South Carolina low country last December. My fuel economy for the whole trip was 19.4 mpg. I use 87 octane fuel and figure my mpg using the trip odometer. I reset trip 1 every time I fuel up, and when I do fuel up I always fill to the point where the pump clicks off. I never overfill.

By being consistent like this I know my mpg is as accurate as it can be. I take the mileage on trip 1 and divide it by the gallons used on that tank, therefore I use actual mileage and fuel used. When I tow a small 4x6 utility trailer with my Honda Rancher 4x4 on it, I get 17.5 mpg on the highway. I set the cruise to 70 mph when I drive the interstate (I towed this trailer and ATV from northern VT to Mt. Olive Alabama last January. 17.4 mpg was the overall mileage over the 3400 miles driven.) My best mileage on a tankful was 23.2 mpg and my worst is about 14 (using the 4 wheel drive alot in heavy snow around town) Overall my mileage has averaged out to about 17.8 mpg for all types of driving.

As for bhp and mileage, there are so many factors that effect fuel mileage, including vehicle weight, tire size, gear ratios, frontal area, aerodynamics, altitude, speed, engine revs, and the list goes on. My LX is rated for 16 city and 20 highway. My city is a little better and my highway is only marginally worse. I had a Nissan Frontier that had an EPA of 17 and 20. I actually got 13 in the city and a paltry 15.8 on the highway. The Sorento is actually quite good when compared directly to other mid sized, body on frame, truck based SUV's like the Durango, Trailblazer, Explorer, Xterra, 4Runner, Wrangler, and LR3.

I love my Sorento, and I'm actually thinking about getting a new 2006 5 speed LX. I have heard a nasty rumour that the more powerful, better looking 2007 Sorento will not be offered in the United States with the manual shift. It should be offered stateside with the 2.5L common rail diesel and the 5 speed tranny. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Sorento with a 500 mile cruising range!!

Dan ( aka Red Suzuki1)
2005 white LX 5 speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
You mentioned the mileage on your Honda pulling a small utility trailer. Have you checked your Sorento while pulling the same trailer? I pulled a 5x8' trailer - behind our '05 EX auto - to PA and back last Christmas and we averaged right at 15mpg.

The best we've gotten is ~18mpg highway and average closer to 16 for everyday driving. While we love the Sorento, I am sorely disapointed with the mileage. We had a 4.0L Explorer 4x4 before this and averaged at ~21 highway and ~18 around town.

Even at 19.4, I would find it disappointing considering our Sorento is only 2wd, is smaller and has a smaller engine than the Explorer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Well my 04 lx showed a best of 20.79 mpg headed east on I-10 and gave me 20.1 mpg headed west across the same stretch. Now my 06 tundra double cab with a vvt4.7L v8 is rated 16/19 and even though it is not broken in yet I'm seeing the same in town mileage figures as I was with my sorento. The sorento is a pig considering it's size and kia needs to work on improving its fuel efficientcy.
 

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
Joined
·
355 Posts
Be interesting to see what the new 3.8 is like on fuel, pity you guys can't get the diesel there.

Cheers

Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
mkmkia said:
You mentioned the mileage on your Honda pulling a small utility trailer. Have you checked your Sorento while pulling the same trailer? I pulled a 5x8' trailer - behind our '05 EX auto - to PA and back last Christmas and we averaged right at 15mpg.
He said he was pulling a trailer with a Honda ATV on it, not pulling the trailer WITH a Honda. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
i dont think that fuel mileage is anything to brag about. considering it's size i think that's horrible (someone already said that i noticed) i've got a trailblazer ss (LS2 and AWD) and it's getting about the same 15/20 (roughly). and the fun factor is 10x that of a kia SUV.
 

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
Joined
·
395 Posts
Love it when someone digs up an older thread just to make a subjective opinionated post about it... sigh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Trailblazer 10 x Sorento ?

I would never say a Trailblazer is 10x the vehicle of a Sorento. Trailblazers are a nice vehicle, but they have that "straight six drone" sound on the road (one's with sixes) and the back end's on them are butt ugly. They have that always dirty tire hanging there and that huge can muffler that hangs out in plain sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
didn't say 10x the overall vehicle. i said the fun factor of having a LS2 (corvette motor) in an AWD (not 4wd) SUV is 10x the fun. and i'll agree, i dont even like regular trailblazers, just the SS's. only trailblazer i would even consider.

and i wasn't putting the sorento down, i was just stating that for an SUV it's size i feel it should be getting better gas mileage. either my SS get's great gas mileage or the sorento gets crappy gas mileage. and i think it's the latter

benjamin: 2 months isn't very old. and like you said, it's an opinion. i've got one i'll voice it, you've got one and you voiced it. so get over it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
brads said:
i dont think that fuel mileage is anything to brag about. considering it's size i think that's horrible (someone already said that i noticed) i've got a trailblazer ss (LS2 and AWD) and it's getting about the same 15/20 (roughly). and the fun factor is 10x that of a kia SUV.

SS EPA 15-19
Kia Sorento 15-18
SS= 391 HP
Kia=195 HP.
How can you say the kia gets crappy mileage. its pretty much what the SS gets. Also if you put 400 HP in the Kia I bet it would be a ton MORE fun to drive also. My wife loves her Sorento. and it has plenty of power for a mass produced no specialty vehicle. Youre comparing a Limited made SUV to a mass produced SUV. it woudl be better to compare a Sorento with a regular trailblazer. I can tell you my friends sister has one and its been nothing but problems. Both me and her brother know. Why? Cause were stuck working on it. on the other hand my 1995 GMC Jimmy has been perfect. It has 114 000 miles on it and its been flawless.
Either way
have a good one

ROb
 

·
Registered
09 Ram 53 Ford F350 94 Wrangler 2003 Sorrento 2011 Optima
Joined
·
370 Posts
We get 15-18 MPG with our 2003 with normal driving and around 12 while pulling a 3000lb boat. The milage seems low to me for the vehicle size, but we knew what is was going to be when we bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
The way I see it if you want good gas mileage go get a small gas saver like a Honda civic or a car based SUV which cant tow anything cant haul anything. if you buy a truck based SUV then youre gonna get worse gas mileage. Full frame rear wheel drive 4x4 4200 pound truck isnt gonna get too good a mileage. knowing that I still dont understand why people ( in general not anyone specific) moan about bad gas mileage.
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
i dont moan about bad gas mileage. when i bought the SS i bought it for what it was...a high performance SUV. i totally agree with you rob, want good gas mileage get a gas sipping car. my point on this thread was he thought the gas mileage was good, and i didnt think it was that great. i thought that the smaller SUV (sorento in this case) would have gotten better gas mileage than it does. especially when compared to a 400hp AWD SUV.


and yeah, i dont like the regular trailblazers. although they do have thier problems what vehicle group doesn't? and in every group there are going to be some that are worse than others. the TBSS crowd is having problems with everything actually. some have blown motors, transmissions, rear ends, and front differentials (on AWD). lol, honestly what else can you have a problem out of? i've been fortunate (knocking on wood). i haven't had the slightest mechanical problem out of mine. i don't pamper it, but i also don't flat floor it every time i drive it either. when i get in the mood to get set back in the seat i do so. if i feel the need to do 130+...i do it, which isn't very often. very rarely do i see the northside of 80, but i have been known, on occassion, to give it a good high speed run. i've got a friend that is getting his whole rear end changed in his SS and he's got roughly 3500 miles on the odometer.

but go to any car forum and ask for a list of problems. i dont care which car forum you go to there are going to be some unhappy people with a list of problems. for example, was nosing through a cadillac forum and they're having problems out of their V series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
brads said:
i dont moan about bad gas mileage. when i bought the SS i bought it for what it was...a high performance SUV. i totally agree with you rob, want good gas mileage get a gas sipping car. my point on this thread was he thought the gas mileage was good, and i didnt think it was that great. i thought that the smaller SUV (sorento in this case) would have gotten better gas mileage than it does. especially when compared to a 400hp AWD SUV.


and yeah, i dont like the regular trailblazers. although they do have thier problems what vehicle group doesn't? and in every group there are going to be some that are worse than others. the TBSS crowd is having problems with everything actually. some have blown motors, transmissions, rear ends, and front differentials (on AWD). lol, honestly what else can you have a problem out of? i've been fortunate (knocking on wood). i haven't had the slightest mechanical problem out of mine. i don't pamper it, but i also don't flat floor it every time i drive it either. when i get in the mood to get set back in the seat i do so. if i feel the need to do 130+...i do it, which isn't very often. very rarely do i see the northside of 80, but i have been known, on occassion, to give it a good high speed run. i've got a friend that is getting his whole rear end changed in his SS and he's got roughly 3500 miles on the odometer.

but go to any car forum and ask for a list of problems. i dont care which car forum you go to there are going to be some unhappy people with a list of problems. for example, was nosing through a cadillac forum and they're having problems out of their V series.


brads I never tried to imply anything.:D But hell dude my dakota has had BOTH front and rear axle replaced and recently the motor also. My buddy has the SAME truck and hes got 240 000 miles on it without a peep.
Rob
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top