Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am thinking of buying a 94 or 95 model sportage but I am a little worried on the fuel econony on these vehicles. Some sites say it is as low as 20 mpg,some say 29mpg, it seems Kia have higher expectatons and quote higher figures.
Could some one who actually drives one of these please let me know before I go ahead and purchase one. As many opinions as you like, its always best to hear itr straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Cheers,

Phatjap.

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
Hi there
I have a 2001 Kia Sportage S model and the fuel consumption
is about 26 to 27 mpg, this the 16 valve DOHC i think the 94/95
models have a single OHC.
By the way my Kia is up for sale.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
18 Posts
Hi
mine is 2000 manual shift.Making 24 mpg city drive and 26 mpg hwy drive.
I would expect a bit less for automatics.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
How can you guys be getting that good of fuel mileage? lol, mine is terrible... I get like, 17 on the highway and thats about it. But then again, it had a leak in the fuel tank somewhere so its leaking fuel, which will be fixed tomorrow. I just got an emissions problem fixed with it as well but havent really had the chance to fully test it on a full tank. So dont mind my figures, Im willing to bet its getting such bad mileage because of the little problems its been having

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
20 Posts
I have a 2000 LX model and I drive in commuter traffic EVERY DAY - one hour both ways (on a 35 minute drive - 34 miles each way) and I get 24 to 25 mpg!

It's all about making sure your levels are correct, filters are clean and all lines go where they belong!

I love mine!!! :banana:

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Mines in perfect shape, though its got a few little piddly things wrong with it, lol. Once I get those fixed I can get a correct reading because ever since i bought it that stupid check engine light was on and I must have been getting bad emissions trouble or something. They found a large evaporative emissions leak and I did notice a slight increase in power after they fixed it, then after that the fuel tank sprung a little leak. Not sure if its a fuel line or the tank but Im sure its really affecting my gas mileage. After I get that fixed then Im gonna see what Im getting, heh

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4 auto
137 Posts
I have a 2000 EX automatic and i get about 280 miles to a tank when the fuel light comes on which is equal to about 21mpg all highway driving.I have noticed that when i drive whith the defroster on (winter time) it get considerably less on gas mileage.My light has beeen coming on at the 255 mile mark which is only about 19mpg.The owners manual states that the Sportage has a 15.8 gallon tank and that the fuel light comes on when the fuel level has dropped to about 2.6 gallons Any one else ever notice less gas mileage when running the heat on there Sportage also?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
I usually dont run my defroster long enough to notice it, though I do get about the same amount to the tank as you do. Once I got almost 300 miles on a full tank but I think that was pushing it to the point of running on fumes, the gauge needle was actually a little bit below the E mark on the gauge. I think that the defroster or heater takes a fairly good amount of power from the alternator, hence creating a drag on the engine and reduced MPG

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Hi all here's a link to an article in the Guardian which may be of interest to you;

Guardian article

I've been trying to tell everyone this for a long time but it may help others understand a little better.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
I KNEW IT!! Lol, I knew the government was lying :p Here in the US its about the same, after I got my sportages fuel tank fixed my fuel mileage did improve, but even so Im still only getting about 20.4 MPG as opposed to the EPA estimate of 21 MPG, which isnt a big difference sure. But you count in the fact that Im running mostly highway ( EPA estimate of 23 MPG ) and I have a performance muffler on it ( dynomax super turbo ) as well as performance spark plugs, youd think that it would be a bit better than the EPA estimate, though I guess I cant complain much, 20.4 MPG in a 98 sportage is pretty decent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts