Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there...

Just filled up last night with 12 US Gal. to the tune of $30. Trip odo said 362 miles. That is over 30 MPG.
This was achieved with 90% city driving, 10% highway.
A/C on 20% of the time, sunroof/windows open 70%, and closed, no A/C 10%.
I changed my driving style to VERY conservative, and shifted @ 3k RPM.
That being said:
1-2 @ 14MPH
2-3 @ 28MPH
3-4 @ 40MPH (or sonner depending upon the posted limit)
4-5 @ 50MPH (or sooner depending upon the posted limit)

This keeps the engine WAY outside of its power band, and it was PAINFUL for me to drive this way for more than a week. it was such a dog and this car is a spirited, fun to drive little go-cart. (I am used to driving a lifted ~12" total wheel/suspension/body 4x4, that is currently parked in the garage except for off road trips)

I typically get 26-28 MPG with spirited driving taking it to redline on a typical basis.

YMMV.
TAKE CARE!
Keith

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
It goes to show ya how changing your driving style can save you some $$$. My Spectra SX is an auto but I too have changed my driving style. I dont give it as much gas when taking off from a stop sign or stop light and I travel at about 65 mph on the interstate instead of 75mph. Now intstead of getting 300 miles per tank Im getting about 335. Ya just gotta do what ya gotta do the way gas prices are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, even driving like an **** (Mario Andretti)... I still get 300 min. The extra 62 miles were driving like granny...

Go figure... is 60 worth the diminished fun factor? I dunno... tough call, although I would prolly have to say no.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Same here. I drove like I stole it and the worse I ever got 300 miles per tank. Right now I have 321 miles on this tank and still have about 15 more miles to go before its time to fill it. I also have a Tornado and K&N air filter in it. This is the first tank of gas I have run with that stuff in it. Hopefully that stuff helps me out too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My traded-in Elantra had the same basic engine as on Spectra and I got over 500+ miles on a trip from Calif to Utah. When I calculated it was something like 38 mpg!!! Yes, unbelievable. But my avg mpg for 50,000 miles of ownership was more like 32. This Beta 2.0L engine was completely trouble-free for me (even with some abuse). That's why I bought an '05 Spectra and loving it all over again! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
witch motor do you have?? the 1.8 or the 2.0cvvc?

that could have alot to do with milage also... wether or not i shift at 3k or leadfoot it i get 250, and i have the 2.0cvvc w/ 5spd.

herbd

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by herbd@Oct 15 2005, 02:08 PM
witch motor do you have?? the 1.8 or the 2.0cvvc?

that could have alot to do with milage also... wether or not i shift at 3k or leadfoot it i get 250, and i have the 2.0cvvc w/ 5spd.

herbd
The 2.0CVVT is the ONLY engine availabile in the US spec Spectras.

I have routinely achieved 275-325 miles with normal driving, some sprited, some conservative. I would rather have fun and drive the car a bit hard than baby it and get an additional 25-45 miles out of a tank.

Just flipped 10k this weekend and dig this car. It's been a lot of fun.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I now have 5k miles on my Spectra. I average about 28mpg. The best I have got was 30mpg but it wasnt fun driving it to get the 30mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW,
I have 116k miles on my '02 spectra with 1.8L DOHC 5 speed.

Never got below 29mpg on a tank, nor over 38mpg. Lifetime average is 33.26 over all 116k miles. I keep track of my miles with every fillup. Change oil faithfully at 4k miles.

I aggressively use the entire horsepower curve with the typical impatience of a New Englander. AC on, or windows open, whatever I feel like. Highway cruising speed is about 80-85mph indicated (which is about 4% higher than actual BTW...but that's a discussion for another thread).

Mark in MA

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
10 Posts
Hi all,
Just finished my third tank and my results are as follows:
All driving is approximately 80% hiway and 20% city with about 35 mi. one way to office between 65 and 75 mph.
1st tank got 28 mpg.
2nd tank got 30 mpg.
3rd tank got 34 mpg.
That's 364 miles on 10.7 gal. so obviously the light hadn't come on yet, so by my calculations using 14 of the 14.5 tank should put me somewhere around 475 mi. per tank. I'll take that every time, maybe it'll get even better once she's broken in.
I don't baby it but I'm not a leadfoot or street racer either.
Overall I'm quite pleased and will be interested to see what, if any, difference I see after the K&N goes in.
Love the car so far as it has performed flawlessly.

Buc'

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Originally posted by Buccaneer@Oct 18 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi all,
Just finished my third tank and my results are as follows:
All driving is approximately 80% hiway and 20% city with about 35 mi. one way to office between 65 and 75 mph.
1st tank got 28 mpg.
2nd tank got 30 mpg.
3rd tank got 34 mpg.
That's 364 miles on 10.7 gal. so obviously the light hadn't come on yet, so by my calculations using 14 of the 14.5 tank should put me somewhere around 475 mi. per tank. I'll take that every time, maybe it'll get even better once she's broken in.
I don't baby it but I'm not a leadfoot or street racer either.
Overall I'm quite pleased and will be interested to see what, if any, difference I see after the K&N goes in.
Love the car so far as it has performed flawlessly.

Buc'
wow those are some good number there. much better than mine and I do about 80% on the highway and 20% in the city too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weird thing about this is a Canadian auto mag did a comparison test of a number of similar vehicles and got great gas mileage.

They used 50 litres which is 13.21 U.S. gallons or 11 U.K. gallons and 5 litres less than a full tank (55 litres or 14.53 US gallons).

Here a few excepts:
"The idea was simple. Put 50 litres of fuel in 10 compact cars that cost less than $20,000 new, and drive them on a scenic route through southern Quebec and eastern Ontario until their tanks ran dry. Then, see which one lasted the longest.

Kia Spectra 5 speed - 2.0 litre engine
Distance travelled on 50 litres: 786 KM (487 MILES)
Fuel Consumption - L/100 km (mpg): 6.4 (44)
NRCan Highway Rating - L/100 km (mpg): 6.8 (42)

Interestingly, the Sentra, Spectra and Focus finished in a near three-way tie for third place, as the Kia and Ford stopped within a few feet of each other, six kilometres after the Sentra stopped running."

LINK: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/50-litre.htm

Mine only has 2100 kilometres on it so the mileage should get better as the car runs in but I am not even in the ballpark of this kind of gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Read that article from Canadian Driver, n' I find it difficult to belive they got 42mpg outta' a Spec'5. I was driving from OKC to Charlotte n' decided to see what kinda' mpg I could get by driving 55mph. I got 36mpg on a 277.6 mile (Measured with GPS) stretch of I-40 from Oklahoma City to Little Rock Arkansas at an average speed of 53mph (Also Measured with GPS) . That was keeping the cruise set at 56mph and releasing the cruise to not allow it to drop it into 3rd to climb hills. I did that check between midnight n' 5:30am to prevent me from getting "ran over" seeing as how the speed limit was 70mph. I topped off the tank completely so I'd know exactly how much gas I used. At the fill-up it took 7.712gal. That was all on the interstate. I also monitored the ECU and it said my fuel mileage was 36.3mpg for that test. Normally driving 38miles to work on 32miles of interstate and 5miles for me to get to I-85 n' 1mile to work once I exit I-85, Minimal idle time (<5min.) using the a/c I get 32mpg. Now that the weather has cooled n' I haven't been using the a/c my mpg has risen to a soild 33.5mpg.

I didn't feel as though I had a "lead Foot" when I 1st bought this car, however after talking to a couple people who said you gotta' keep yer' foot off the accelerator to really maximize the mileage, I tried it n' found theywere right, My mileage went up dramatically on my 1st tank after dropping the speed to 55-60mph instead of 70, n' not rev'ing past 2200rpm when accellearating. Went form 27-ish to 31 hwy/mpg pretty much overnight. Mixed driving however KILLS the mileage. While in OKC doing short trips with lots of idling at stop signs n' red lights n' such, I got 23-ish--in city mpg, Horrible that was. Unfortunately, there isn't much way to fix that, 'cept to stay outta' it if possible.

Later ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting ddire, I forgot the US conversion in my original post.
so it IS possible :)

My fuel economy took a big jump on the last tank - guess the engine is getting run in.

I live about 65 KM out of a city so my driving is probably something like 80% highway. Last tank I was about in the middle between city-highway listed gas mileage which still seems low but is at least getting into the correct neighbourhood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts