Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX-V6 Luxury 7-Seater
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I don't if I am doing anything wrong, I am in Toronto . I am mostly driving in the city and for 60 L, I am only getting about 430 KM. My all wheel button is off. If anybody can suggest anything that be great. I have only 1600 KM on it so far and I bought it in march 2012. Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
46 Posts
Wait for it to get past about 13,000-15,000kms or so ive been told. I'm in a similar situation, but with only about 7,800kms so far.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Hi I don't if I am doing anything wrong, I am in Toronto . I am mostly driving in the city and for 60 L, I am only getting about 430 KM. My all wheel button is off. If anybody can suggest anything that be great. I have only 1600 KM on it so far and I bought it in march 2012. Thanks
You can't turn AWD off. Thats why its called AWD. The button you are talking about lets you lock the differential. It doesnt turn the AWD off.
What did you expect driving a 3.5l V6 that weights 4000 lbs in Toronto's stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,006 Posts
hmm in the first 7000km i had 520-540km a tank, it got worse after... only 400 to 420 after...

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 Lux, 1992 Nissan Maxima VE5, 2011 Ducati Monster 796
39 Posts
There has to be something wrong with these cars... I have an EX V6 Luxury, and I'm also only getting about 430km to a tank (about 60L). This is from day one of owning the vehicle, purchased this Feb. I have about 6000km on it now. No matter how I drive, I haven't been able to break that, and my average fuel economy sits at around 14L/100km according to the car. I drive about 70/30 city/highway, and rarely do the revs go above 3000RPM.

This is a far cry from the advertised 10L/100km average!

I know it's not normal because my exhaust pipes are covered in black soot. I have yet to see this on any other vehicle I've owned. Had the dealer check for codes, fuel trim etc, and they say everything is fine. Yet I've spoken with other Sorento owners while at the dealer, and some regularly get 500km on a tank with mixed driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmm in the first 7000km i had 520-540km a tank, it got worse after... only 400 to 420 after...
This definitely smells like there's something wrong. That's a huge decrease in mileage. I have to wonder if there's an issue somewhere that either Kia doesn't know about, or they are not saying.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
they said wait about 30,000 km for import vehicles.. and actually shell fuel gives me better mileage.. and just recently changed to synthetic at 24,000km lets see what happens.. one factor might be that that we are 800m above sea level air is thinner for mixture and plus doesnt help from the climate that we have here in canada.. i'll update time to time in this thread.. right now so far i am in 150km at 3/4 tank.. as what i have noticed, past below half on the fuel gauge, gas drains faster, might be just coincidence.. i drive very lightly now though.. lets see what happens..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
did you mean ESC= electronic stability control? it just adds a litle speed about 1.6km/hr or 1mph at any rpm range...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
2012 lx 2.4gdi

I can't speak for others but we are getting 27-30 MPG average since new. We use regular gas with 10% ethanol (87 octane I believe), as that is all that is available. Just filled up yesterday at 530 miles on the trip odometer. We do not have AWD, just FWD. Hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't speak for others but we are getting 27-30 MPG average since new. We use regular gas with 10% ethanol (87 octane I believe), as that is all that is available. Just filled up yesterday at 530 miles on the trip odometer. We do not have AWD, just FWD. Hope this helps
So you got 530 miles to one tank? That's nearly 850km, which is nearly double what we seem to be getting with the V6. Understandably a 4 should use less gas than a 6 on paper, but in the real world, it seldom seems to differ that significantly. Most people with the LX 4 seem to get just a little better on average than the V6.

With so many variables, it's hard to figure out why some people are getting such high mileage while others are getting absolutely horrible mileage.

What terrain and combination of city/hwy are you driving?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
With so many variables, it's hard to figure out why some people are getting such high mileage while others are getting absolutely horrible mileage.
also proves that what you get doesn't mean to say they other person will get that and also explains why Transport Canada and EPA test vehicles in a controlled environment, so they get consistent results. :D

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Just did a long highway drive up north this weekend. Looked at the trip computer as I was nearing home today and it was showing 8 liters per 100 kms average or 29.4 MPG.
That was driving at 100 km/h (60 mph).
Not bad for a 3.5L V6. Its not really even broken in yet, shes only got 3200 kms on her.
So far Im happy.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So you got 530 miles to one tank? That's nearly 850km, which is nearly double what we seem to be getting with the V6. Understandably a 4 should use less gas than a 6 on paper, but in the real world, it seldom seems to differ that significantly. Most people with the LX 4 seem to get just a little better on average than the V6.

What terrain and combination of city/hwy are you driving?
i think that is 530km... base on location, he/she is in vancouver canada.. us in canada goes goes by metric system not english..
530 miles is unbelievable unless its 1.6-1.8 litre engine or a hybrid almost..

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
I would be happy if I got 12L/100km combined, but I'm lucky if I get 14.
Ouch.
I got 6L/100km in the diesel.

Said it before, I'll say it again.
Lobby your governments for diesels. :p

·
Registered
Sorento EX-V6 Luxury 7-Seater
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks

I will be happy if I get a least 530K/60L, My Brother in law just bought ford explorer v6 2103 and he is getting 530K/60L. I thought Sorento had better mileage. Wonder I should talk to dealer.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
I will be happy if I get a least 530K/60L, My Brother in law just bought ford explorer v6 2103 and he is getting 530K/60L. I thought Sorento had better mileage. Wonder I should talk to dealer.
so you and your brother-in-law drive over the same identical routes with the same traffic, the same number of stops and under the same exact weather conditions for the full 530 km - that is some feat!:D

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
This last trip was a combination of city and rural driving. Both flat and hilly terrain. Start and stop with 30-40 mile streches mixed in. From the east coast of North Carolina to mid state and back, with a bunch of site seeing stops. Hope this helps. It is MPG and miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts