Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! so I Bought a 2006 Kia RIO GS CDRI <-- I think that's what it is Diesel.

I have noticed fuel consumption is pretty high well so it seems for a Diesel that's meant to do 60-70mpg.

So I do a lot of driving locally and motorway travels of which are about 15 miles in distance then back on normal roads for about another 8 miles..

I clocked my mileage at 27639 adding 14.72 Litres to the tank from empty its when the fuel light first turned on.

I then added 14.72 litres which took the diesel just under half way. When I drove the vehicle for 5 miles the meter dropped a bit.

So the Vehicle mileage is now 27753 parked in my driveway. So far I have travelled 114 Miles 27639-27753 = 114Miles and the needle is in between the Empty Line and Quarter Line dead center between these 2 lines.

60mpg * 3 Gallons = total mileage 180 of which I have covered 114 miles

That being said this sounds like im not far off 60mpg or have I worked this out totally wrong I have a a good amount of fuel left and believe theres a good 50-60 miles left before the Fuel light turns on again which would work out about right..

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The fuel gauge is only a rough guide and usually quite non-linear. i.e. The number of litres between marks will vary from one part of the gauge to another. For example, one of my cars has a nominal capacity of 70 litres, but "half full" according to the gauge means that I have used 40 litres, and there is only 25 litres remaining before the warning light comes on.

The only way that you will get a realistic estimate of fuel consumption is to fill the tank to normal cut-off, drive about 500 km and fill again. If you are really keen, check your odometer to make sure it's accurate.

I haven't bothered to look at your initial estimates, but as I've said, it would be pointless to take any notice at this stage. Something that might be worthwhile would be to calibrate your gauge by recording the distance travelled between marks and relate that to the final fuel consumption as measured. That will give you a pretty good estimate of what the marks mean, assuming you have been driving consistently.

Another obvious procedure would be to fill up from the various marks and work it out that way. At the bare minimum, it's a good idea to know what "half a tank" and "warning" means.

·
Registered
fiat punto jtd 2002, citroen Xsara Hdi 2004, Citroen Saxo 1.4, and a lot more.
2 Posts
The ONLY way to produce anything close to a realiable Picture of Your mileage is to fill Her up - drive to nearly empty and fill Her up the same place the same way. Then divide miles with gallons. I'm doing around 54/64 mpg in a 2008 Rio 1.5 CRDi. And no - I'm not the slowest sheep on the highway but might drive a bit more looking for what's NeXT that others do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts