Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:unsure: i have a kia rio 1.3 auto ls,i feel the fuel consumption is very high,with $55 petrol it can only go about 330km,can anybody tell me the fuel consumption of this car?THANKS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gday!

Yeah seems pretty high.

I average about 9l to the 100km. (I have a 1.5l manual hatch) When running premuim unleaded.

Depends on your driving patterns and style, however if you dont thrash the car too much, you should get at least 550km to a tank.

Have you had the recall done on your car? Fuel rod holder thingy (Technical term) and has it been serviced well? New plugs/leads?

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by compmatt@Dec 29 2004, 04:31 AM
I average about 9l to the 100km. (I have a 1.5l manual hatch) When running premuim unleaded.
Matt
Hi friends,

I own a new Hyundai Accent 1.3, which is almost the same car, as You may know.

Well, I achieve 7,0 l/100 km driving conservatively (means keeping in mind my family budget). A full tank (45l) is enoug for more than 600km.

Best wishes from Central Europe, Attila

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own Kia Rio 1.5 Auto.
My patrol consumption is very high. I clock less than 10km/L.
Anyone face this problem???
Can anyone help??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I share the same problem with u.
I own a 1,5 16V (5doors) european model and can go only for 310 km with 40 L of gas.
need help too

Riccardo

·
Registered
3 Posts
that does sound high....
I had a 1.5L Rio Wagon, and got 400 - 450 kliks on a 35 litre tank in the city.
500-575 on the highway....

check the fuel rail, and fuel filters; is it leaking somewhere?

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys!

i'm new to this forum. i'm from malaysia, driving a '04 rio 1.3 (A). this thread is interesting as FC is a big issue here in malaysia. my rio's FC is somewhat on the high side (averaging 8.8l/100km - mixed driving). this figure is ok for a 2.0 car but NOT for a 1.3, right? hmm... anyone can help me improve this situation?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
dirty air filter maybe?
Perhaps try a higher octane fuel.......
Have you have any input from the dealer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 01 Rio 5spd ...

when I first got it I was getting about 10l/100km

when I changed my shifting habits and eased up on the gas pedal I'm getting 7l/100km most of the time and even less when I'm doing mostly hwy driving. I do use mostly ethanol blended premium gasoline...however, the mileage hasn't changed when I've gone with the cheap stuff (ethanol blended isn't available anywhere in the northwest USA....at least that I've found)

Check the owners manual, they list two sets of shift points. One for regular driving (which is what I used and got 9-10l/100km) and another for "fuel economy". Using the second set, and a light foot made all the difference.

Of course, if there is a mechanical problem....well, the lightest foot won't help you at all then :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have u change ur gaz filter?... it will give a big difference on the millage and also keep it clean once in a while by adding additif in ur gaz to clean ur injection. If u put bad gaz often ur engine will became dirty and ur car burn more gaz to do the same distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Kia Rio 1.5 Auto just clock 8.25Km/L. Hmm... very bad for a new car first pump!
Will continue to monitor after the next full tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just drove my '01 Kia Rio on an extended trip.

All highway driving. Being as soft on the gas pedal as possible. Keeping the air-conditioning off (except when going on hills and wanting to slow down). Keeping the speed at 90-100km/h whenever possible and not speeding anywhere. Avoiding the use of the brake wherever possible.

In general driving it as fuel efficiently as possible.

First: It was the most boring 450km I've ever driven. It was also hot and uncomfortable.

Second: I used 5.8l/100km (or about 17.2km per liter) so the fuel consumption was awesome.

However, when driving softly in town I usually get about 7l/100km on average mixed driving.

When I first got it and was shifting at 3,000 - 4,000rpm I was using 9-10L/100km

Driving with higher RPM, a/c on, and faster acceleration is way more fun. But driving like an old granny certainly can save you some fuel :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys, i've changed a few parts in my hope for a better fuel consumption. firstly i swapped the air filter with a drop-in K&N panel, super4 plugs, mobil1 (5W-50) and better tyres (falken ze512). the result is still the same, returning about 8.5 - 8.8l/100km. this is a little disappointing, guys... as for the earlier suggestion by one of our fellow forummer to change the fuel filter, i did that but did not get any significant result... hmm... any help that i can get from my fellow rio brothers & sisters out there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I don't have a rio but the general problem of FC is the same for all cars and it comes down to two major things. Octane and driving habitts.
If you realy wanna save fuel then don't push the peddal further than half way. Shift to upper at max 3000rpms, preferably even lower, and try to as much as possible to maintain the same speed all of the time (optimal speed for most moddern cars is around 90 km/h) above it the air resistance becomes realy high and below it the engine uses less fuel but it uses it for a longer time.
Older cars have optimum at around 70 km/h . And octane is very important cuz, higher octane fuel can give you the same power on a lower rpm rate so you can still drive your car at 90 with 1500 - 2500 rpms in 4th. in example 92 OCT fuel gives you the same power at 3500 rpms as 98 OCT fuel does at 3000rpms. so th FC goes down some ((3500-3000)/3500)*100= 15 % and the price is usualy 5 % higher
so you can save 10% of your money just by buying better (more expensive) fuel and besides that you've got the extra strength to push your car up the hill without slowing down wich can save some additional 1-2 %.
I have messured that i can get from place A to place B (some 120 km) in my pride 1.4 using from 6 l to 15 l dependant on the driving style and the fuel i used and the difference in time was 6 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hiya mici,

thanks for the explanation & surprising comparison you did. problem is that no matter how i drive, half-pedal or not, my car still returns about the same FC to me. I did a highland tour (1800m, low atmospheric pressure, uphill climbing, etc...), i still get about 8.8l/100km. on another occasion, i drove for 3 hours non-stop on the expressway at aconstant 110km/h, the result showed that my car consumed about 8.2l/100km for the 300km trip. hmm... situation doesn't look too good here for me... for your information, the factory claim for this model is 28mpg (urban) & 35mpg(highway)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My milage varies from 6.5l/100k - 8.0l/100k if it starts going higher, I change the air filter, oil filter and spark plugs.
It's happened twice since I bought the car that (other than driving hard) the milage has jumped, and I found the plugs are the best fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts