Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I'm not surprised. Car manufacturers are in the game to make money, pure and simple.

If you have to lie a little to make customers perceive you as above the competition, so be it. Edge out the competition with a little fudging and answer the scrutiny later. What is the worst that could happen? We get slapped with a fine that is big to the average consumer, but tiny when it comes to corporate business.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've found KIA estimates reasonably good. I did note that they used the S model Cerato for the economy test; it has 15" wheels and the 65 profile tyres are slighly bigger OD and get slightly better MPG than 17". That's only a little bit naughty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is exactly why I usually go by the "Real World" ratings submitted by users at Fuel Economy

fudging or not though, the CAFE standards are finally getting manufacturers to pull the head out of their collective rears. Look at how long GM was rocking 4 speed automatics. CAFE numbers getting tougher? Now we have companies working on 9 speed automatics, Alternators that only charge batteries on throttle-off-deceleration, direct injection, auto start/stop systems, smaller turbocharged engines, active cooling radiator shutters and (The only one I don't personally like) electronic power steering.

On another front though, I think people need to be realistic on what to expect. I once rented a 4-banger GMC Terrain. This is the one that gets "32 MPG". Not surprisingly, I think I averaged around 22mpg for the 4 days I had it. For that, I'm genuinely impressed. Why? Because regardless of specific engine and even gearing, a 4000 pound brick needs torque to accelerate, and also to maintain 70mph against the wind. An underpowered small engine (regardless of cylinder count) will work much harder (think higher duty cycle) and will undoubtedly be geared shorter to keep the engine higher in the rev range where the needed torque lives. On the countrary, a lightly loaded larger engine will be able to meet the same torque needs at a slower speed and thus work less hard. So now you're talking about a small engine averaging maybe 10inHg vacuum whereas you've got a larger engine averaging maybe 15inHg vacuum. If you follow nehicles closely, you'll see a trend with respect of the "Maximum MPG Engineered" cars. Think Hybrids or ultrafuelefficient nonhybrid cars (~40mpg hwy). The trend is actually to run with larger engines. Even the new Corvette came out with the same 6.2L engine, despite the mpg improvement over the c6. GM studied a smaller displacement engine (5.5L is the rumor) however, they knew they were going to implement active displacement and run with half the cylinders when possible. They found that a 3.1L 4-cylinder could provide the needed torque much more often than a 2.25L 4-cylinder, so the engine could avoid jumping back into 6.2L mode. (A similar line of thinking is why the small displacement turbos are out. They can operate most of the time still in a vacuum and thus get great gas mileage, but when the power is needed, they can go into boost (momentarily), tank the mpg, but get you the torque you need, and then immediately go back into vacuum.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
The Stig,
And no one would lie on Fuel Economy either??

I am surprised Scouty has not come in here and posted. In the other thread it was almost hilarious about how he was yelling at us on how Kia was fraudulent and such... but neglecting the other car manufacturers and such and how they are even worse in most cases compared to Kia.
It is almost sad that companies would lie so much and that people do not do any further research in to a car they are going to throw 20k plus monies down on something like that.
oh well.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
I don't worry about cars I don't drive, and if others are doing it, I hope they get busted too. Misleading a consumer is never a good thing, and to excuse it by stating "but others do it too" is a childs argument. Kia got busted for fraudulent mileage claims, it disturbs some owners and raises speculation about what else was misleading. Sorry if i seem to have stepped on your Kia toes by having a disappointing view on the mileage issue. :rolleyes:
Again, after this issue arose so soon after buying it, I simply stated that I would have gotten the V6.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Sauron.. hate em!! :p hehe
Scouty.. damn son you need a Valium. We have refuted your claims and yet you stick to em. Good for you glad to see Darwinism is alive and proud!

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I don't worry about cars I don't drive, and if others are doing it, I hope they get busted too. Misleading a consumer is never a good thing, and to excuse it by stating "but others do it too" is a childs argument. Kia got busted for fraudulent mileage claims, it disturbs some owners and raises speculation about what else was misleading. Sorry if i seem to have stepped on your Kia toes by having a disappointing view on the mileage issue. :rolleyes:
Again, after this issue arose so soon after buying it, I simply stated that I would have gotten the V6.
Then trade it in on a V6!! ::sigh:: or just shut up already

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
I wonder what Ford is going to do now that Consumer Reports testing of their Hybrid got 12 MPG LESS than EPA!!! CR stated that they acknowledge having a hard time meeting some EPA results with most vehicles. I haven't seen Ford offering any payback yet. Still can't believe that KIA has offered $$$ and owners aren't grabbing it and moving on, but want to go to court. Of course, in the long run, court publicity, whether win or lose will probably result in lower resale value of their own vehicles down the road. Maybe poetic justice.:)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder what Ford is going to do now that Consumer Reports testing of their Hybrid got 12 MPG LESS than EPA!!! CR stated that they acknowledge having a hard time meeting some EPA results with most vehicles. I haven't seen Ford offering any payback yet. Still can't believe that KIA has offered $$$ and owners aren't grabbing it and moving on, but want to go to court. Of course, in the long run, court publicity, whether win or lose will probably result in lower resale value of their own vehicles down the road. Maybe poetic justice.:)
Poor resale price doesn't affect the manufacturer at all...just the first sap that buys the car.

I buy cars based on the safety/features/comfort/reliability. Gas mileage is well on down the list. I think it's pretty amusing that anyone purchasing an SUV of any sort can even pretend to think gas mileage is one of their purchasing criteria. lol

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
Interesting that the CEO of the company caught in the mileage error that has them lowering the fuel economy of a majority of the 2012-2013 models, thinks this way:

"Given the importance of fuel efficiency to all of us, we're extremely sorry about these errors," said Krafcik (CEO of Hyundai) in a written statement on Friday.

Many of us consider/value/weigh things differently during a major buying decision.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
It is so ironic that a small minority of KIA owners still feel "cheated", especially after KIA is the only car manufacturer to admit their errors and voluntarily provide refunds...but do the Honda, Audi, MB, BMW, Toyota, or any other owners?...the class actions suits speak for themselves...

Time to stop complaining and crying and move on, peeps.....what's next, yet another unexplained "unintended acceleration" KIA Sorento owner crying for attention and a refund?.....puleeze...

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time to stop complaining and crying and move on, peeps.....what's next, yet another unexplained "unintended acceleration" KIA Sorento owner crying for attention and a refund?.....puleeze...
(emphasis mine)

LOL!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
It is so ironic that a small minority of KIA owners still feel "cheated", especially after KIA is the only car manufacturer to admit their errors and voluntarily provide refunds...but do the Honda, Audi, MB, BMW, Toyota, or any other owners?...the class actions suits speak for themselves...

I find it interesting that others want to tell people how to feel about a company, that they paid a lot of money into, for a feature they felt was important in their decision making...
Lets not sugar coat that Kia got caught if fraud, then came up with a solution...This is not chicken and egg. They got caught, CEO admits it and apologizes and it affects a majority of their models for a specific time period. Has this happened to another company? I know there are lawsuits out for a vast amount of car companies for a diverse number of reasons...but has one ever been busted like KIA?
Don't like the thread...don't visit.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I find it interesting that others want to tell people how to feel about a company, that they paid a lot of money into, for a feature they felt was important in their decision making...
Lets not sugar coat that Kia got caught if fraud, then came up with a solution...This is not chicken and egg. They got caught, CEO admits it and apologizes and it affects a majority of their models for a specific time period. Has this happened to another company? I know there are lawsuits out for a vast amount of car companies for a diverse number of reasons...but has one ever been busted like KIA?
Don't like the thread...don't visit.
Au contraire. The thread is useful (I started it). I'm just laughing at the reaction of a few people who prefer to spend their days crying over what I feel is an inconsequential amount of money compared to the overall operating cost of the vehicle...even when an offer from Kia to compensate them is on the table. If you want to continue scratching that itch, by all means please do. Just don't be surprised when folks that have more useful things to do get a chuckle out of it. Perhaps you might try redirecting all that pent-up angst into providing value to this site by helping people with genuine issues rather than stomping your feet and wailing about how you've been "cheated." **shrug**

Party on, Garth...

Best,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts