Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Rondo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Rondo... with a love/hate relationship.....
Anybody have problems with windshield washer (front and rear window) on cold days only... All works great when temp is above 40F.. But when it gets cold the whole system freezes up... Please no comments on fluid choice as I use the best available good to -40F but today at 33 degF and very slushy driving, the washer is DOA... I noted the position of the pump is way down low near the ground and behind the frame member so there is no help from engine heat... Any ideas'

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
then there is obviously some water in the system, drain and refill with the -40F product (get something that has a colour in it so you can make sure its actually getting through the lines). You can use an anti-freeze tester to determine the strength. Was there summer fluid in it at some point?

I've used windshield washer antifreeze for years, (I use the same solution all year round never change the mix) in my '08 Rondo EX with temperatures getting down into the mid -30 C and the same with my current Soul and no problems. The container in the Rondo is pretty well in the same location for most of the Kia's that I've seen, so that has no effect on it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I'd have to absolutely agree with Con, you must have water or summer washer fluid in the lines, or the winter fluid has become diluted somehow. Did you put water in the tank to top it up at any point? To save money maybe? lol

I've driven in -10 to -30+ (Celsius) weather in the GTA (Toronto etc Canada) and have never had problems with the washer jets, lines etc in my new Rondo at all. Any time I've ever had a problem with the stuff you're dealing with, was in the past with a Nissan Pickup I had, and it was going from summer/fall into winter with summer fluid/water still in the tank and lines, freezing up. Simple solution is, run the old fluid out of the tank by spraying the windows till the tank is empty or near empty, refill 1/4 to 1/2 way with brand new WINTER fluid, and then empty it out again to purge all the summer fluid or water out of the system completely, then fill the tank completely with winter fluid again, use at least -35deg or -40 deg (Celsius) winter washer anti freeze fluid.

The key to keeping your windows frost free and clean in cold weather is not JUST the fluid (products like frost melting stuff is a waste of money really) and keep the windows warm. Use your defroster on the rear window, and keep the front window defroster on the entire time you're driving, or window and feet. If your window is warm, and the fluid is winter fluid, you should never have problems keeping the windows clear and clear. You might encounter the blades freezing up if you use too much fluid, so crack them free (bend them and clear any ice off them by hand etc) and keep them flexible, or easier yet, buy 'winter wiper blades' for the winter and it will be half the maintenance throughout the cold season.

Just remember, clean clear windows = good winter fluid and keeping heat on the windows. lol.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Here we have a few days below 0F in the last couple weeks. I have no problem with the windshield washer shooting out but it may freeze after sprayed on the glasses while driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts