Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 EX model with auto. My problem? I get a wobble in the front wheels, when I turn hard right or hard left from a stop. It doesn't seem to present when one is turning normally, only from a stop.

It feels as if the front tires are either out of shape. It almost feels as if in 4wd low and making a hard turn.

The dealer has not been able to find a fix for this problem. I am almost at 20,000 kms, and have had the problem for almost 15,000.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:(
If it happens when reversing with the lock full on, you get like a terrible thud feeling from the steering wheel , then the car carries on reversing normaly, then this is ''normal'' in 4 wd drives. Mine has done it from new ( I am on 17,000 miles now ) & every time I have poppped it to the dealers it never does it for them even when I try to show them. It only does it on very full lock & under normal conditions I never feel it !

Mark
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the vehicle in to teh dealer, and after checking it again, they tell me that it is normall for a TOD vehicle to feel as if the wheels are wobbley on a hard right/left turn. The yexplain it by saying that the outer wheel is turning faster than the inner wheel, and because of the difference, the TOD kicks in and thus the wobbley feeling. Hmm, I am not too sure.

FASTKIA: Thanks for your response and suggestions. I did have a major problem with the 'thud' noise and feeling when releasing the brakes. They greased the c**p out of it, and it did not help. Finally they changed the rear shaft drive, and seems to be working alright.

As to the vibration, it's still there during acceleration. Usually around 2700 rpm, in every gear. My mechanic thinks it is the torque transfer plate??, but KIA will not let him spend the time on the vehicle until he has exausted all less time consuming fix possibilities. Can you believe that? They would rather spend days in installments trying to fix a problem rather than authorizing a whole day of work to fix it once and for all.

I have given my dealer until friday to get a positive answer, or I am complaining to the Auto dealers ombudsman and asking for a new sorento.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
The TOD only works front to back NOT side to side so this sounds like a "porkies" to me. If it WAS kicking in you'd surely only expect things to tighten up a bit through added traction ? certainly not "wobble".

Guess the front to rear axle speed could be different when cornering, bugger why didn't I learn more maths at school !!!!!

Cheers

Derek :unsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts