Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2011 6MT (now Rattle FREE and no longer clunking!)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As everyone on this forum knows, the most read post is about the front suspension noise on the Sorento. Here is my experience with it and how, finally, it was FIXED.

First, what this is NOT about (I think it is important to isolate what problem we are talking about):

1) This is not the rattling front wheel well plastic shield (this can be fixed by a few extra screws or, like what I did, liberal use of 3M double sided tape)

2) This is not about the front drivetrain "thud" (there is a Service Action that has been released for this, it applies to Automatics)

3) This is not about the pulling to the right alignment problem.

This is about a "wobbly sounding clunk" that seems to be coming from the front passenger side wheel. Sounds like something is loose (though the car does not actually feel loose or out of control - really, just a sound that makes the Sorento seem a little cheap). It is most pronounced/obvious when you are going over smaller, repetitive bumps. Not obvious at all when it is a one time, big pothole slam. From my own experience, it sounded like an old bmw I had that had a front upper control arm bushing go bad.

THE FIX: Updated front shock absorbers
Part No: 54650-1U600 Shock Absorber Assembly

The catch and things you should know... The part # I quote is from my service invoice. From what I understand, it will not show up in the parts catalog if you simply have your dealer check it on their computer. There is technically and from a performance standpoint nothing wrong with the shock that was originally installed in the Sorento. Just a design aspect (and for the more picky, a "flaw") that gave it the tendency to make that clunking sound when going over small, repetitive bumps. How loud the clunking is varies from one to another - so it is likely that many are not experiencing this issue at all. The other thing is that the vast majority of people that have this issue probably don't notice it anyway.

So, a recall is unlikely. My shocks were changed for customer satisfaction reasons. Thank you KIA for standing behind your product. This is my second Sorento after all... I credit my Dealer and Service Manager who have been GREAT throughout this process. They have certainly earned my business.

My suggestion... If you have the noise, make sure your dealer opens a "case" for you to get you into the system. If they don't (like the first dealer I was taking my Sorento to for service (and had actually bought if from)), nothing will happen - so just take it to another dealer! KIA corporate is clearly aware of the issue (a Kia engineer from their corporate office actually flew in to help the dealer with my car (he was also there to help with another older Sportage that was having some electrical issues - he was there primarily for the Sportage though). It is also obvious that most dealers are not aware of the issue and the more common answer they will give you is "that is just the way the Sorento is".

This is likely a placebo effect or something, but the new shocks do feel ever so slightly softer. They are less harsh and smoother feeling. They are obviously quieter, given no more "wobbly sounding clunk"...

Finally, I thought it would be interesting to have a roll call to find out how many folks actually think they have (or had) this exact problem (and please, just this problem... Don't add yourself to the tally if you are referring to another problem like those I referred to above).

Thanks for everyone's help on the board and goodluck! Here's to many, many happy miles in the Sorento... It is a great SUV, especially when not clunking!

Front Suspension Noise Tally:

# 1 (Sorento FWD, Base, 6 spd manual transmission - FIXED)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento 6cyl LX AWD--Black
35 Posts
#2 (Sorento FWD EX Auto--not fixed yet) But hope to soon and will be working on this with the dealer. I enjoy the Sorento but this issue makes me unhappy, and should be fixed--period.

·
Registered
'11 XM Sorento 6 speed manual,2003 Sorento EX
66 Posts
#3,not fixed yet.Jan 16,2010 build M/T base model.Complained to dealer in April.Work order states "no problem found at this time with front suspension noise".

·
Registered
2 Posts
#4 Dealer has ordered parts and I hope to have fix soon! Sorento EX AWD 4 cyl.

Fixed Dec 1. Replaced Front strut/shock absorbers: 54650 1U600 Shock Absorber. Ride is improved!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am glad to know that there is a replacement. I shall also call my dealer's attention to this forum, so that they will believe indeed there is a replacement part. I live in the Phillipines. Bought a Sorento 2011 EX, a 2.2l diesel variant..and with the same sound problem on the front suspension.

Say Mr Gcchelsea, will this service also applies to our country?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am glad to know that there is a replacement. I shall also call my dealer's attention to this forum, so that they will believe indeed there is a replacement part. I live in the Phillipines. Bought a Sorento 2011 EX, a 2.2l diesel variant..and with the same sound problem on the front suspension.

Say Mr Gcchelsea, will this service also applies to our country?
I also live in manila. What manufacture year is your unit? I have a sEpt 2010
The ride is quite firm. There is a clunking sound but very minimal.... How loud is yours? After 3 months of use I have seem to gotten used to the sound and the ride has improved....

Richie

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also live in manila. What manufacture year is your unit? I have a sEpt 2010
The ride is quite firm. There is a clunking sound but very minimal.... How loud is yours? After 3 months of use I have seem to gotten used to the sound and the ride has improved....

Richie
Kumusta folks??? I'm actually originally from Baguio! Now living in frigid (at the moment) Boston, MA...

For the US spec Sorentos, beginning Oct 2010 they started using dual flow damper shocks - the kind of shocks I believe they replaced mine with (my Sorento build date is Dec 2009). The part number I noted above does not show up in the dealer parts list/computer inventory here in the US... Not sure what the situation will be in Manila - but I have a feeling the dealers there will have even less of an idea (few dealers here in the US understand/know about the issue).

Simply replacing the shocks with the same kind runs a high risk of not solving the issue... Need to make sure it is replaced with the "upgraded" shock...

Goodluck!

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package
731 Posts
Kumusta folks??? I'm actually originally from Baguio! Now living in frigid (at the moment) Boston, MA...

For the US spec Sorentos, beginning Oct 2010 they started using dual flow damper shocks - the kind of shocks I believe they replaced mine with (my Sorento build date is Dec 2009). The part number I noted above does not show up in the dealer parts list/computer inventory here in the US... Not sure what the situation will be in Manila - but I have a feeling the dealers there will have even less of an idea (few dealers here in the US understand/know about the issue).

Simply replacing the shocks with the same kind runs a high risk of not solving the issue... Need to make sure it is replaced with the "upgraded" shock...

Goodluck!
Okey lang Pre, If MA is a bit near from IL Im sure Im gonna visit you. As far as Shock is concern. Still have the old one. I already inform my dealer at the same time KIA and they responding to it accordingly. I will come back to them soon.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento 6cyl LX AWD--Black
35 Posts
Front Struts replaced by dealer

#2 member on the roll call--Fixed

Had my front struts replaced today with the updated struts. Feels like a different front end now. Much improved. Doesn't feel like a cheap front end anymore, wheels feel more "planted" on the ground. Very happy-: ) If your having a problem as described earlier in this thread then find a dealer that will work with you to get the new and improved front struts.

Many thanks to gcchelsea for all the hard work and research on this issue. If not for this forum I wouldn't have been able to correct this problem so quickly.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys. Richie I think we're same. Just bought mine this November. Gee mga kababayan, magandang umaga sa inyong lahat! :)

Occhelsea, thanks talaga for that strut news. I really find the noise annoying and I already inform my local dealer here. Sana they can fix this fast. A nice car, looks heavy but rode like the wheel can slip any moment.

I wonder if we can just replace it with 3rd party quality shocks? (lucky KIA dealer huh) Like the rancho or other quality one? tnx.

·
Registered
2011 Bright Silver & 2016 Kia Sorento I4
130 Posts
Kia "WORKING ON THE ISSUE:"01/03/11

Well, 10 months since purchased in April of 2010, and today Kia still says they are working on the case for the noisy struts.!!! Am I impressed NOT IN THE LEAST!!!:(

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Well, 10 months since purchased in April of 2010, and today Kia still says they are working on the case for the noisy struts.!!! Am I impressed NOT IN THE LEAST!!!:(
June 2010 LX build date, noted noisy shocks, dealer "tightened loose strut bolts" today. So far its alot better, haven't been on the highway to notice wobble. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it seems like these shocks are very noisy. They didn't deny or agree that there was a known shock issue, it was very interesting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
June 2010 LX build date, noted noisy shocks, dealer "tightened loose strut bolts" today. So far its alot better, haven't been on the highway to notice wobble. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it seems like these shocks are very noisy. They didn't deny or agree that there was a known shock issue, it was very interesting.
Hi there - hope the fix holds and works for you. The only thing I'll throw out there is that the new shocks, in addition to getting rid of the clunk, are also less harsh and smoother... They are not as "stiff" as the original ones... If you prefer a much stiffer ride then definitely stick with what is on your Sorento now... But if less harshness and smoother ride would be nice (and only a tiny bit less stiff (I actually prefer a stiffer ride - but not a harsh one!)) then you may want to push for the replacement... Firecat21 can atest to this as well...

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Hi there - hope the fix holds and works for you. The only thing I'll throw out there is that the new shocks, in addition to getting rid of the clunk, are also less harsh and smoother... They are not as "stiff" as the original ones... If you prefer a much stiffer ride then definitely stick with what is on your Sorento now... But if less harshness and smoother ride would be nice (and only a tiny bit less stiff (I actually prefer a stiffer ride - but not a harsh one!)) then you may want to push for the replacement... Firecat21 can atest to this as well...

Just my two cents...
Thanks GC for the long term feedback! I prefer stiff so I will probably live with the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all.

I just bought a 2011 LX AWD, and I came on here to see if there was anyway to get a better ride. I didnt notice how stiff it was in the test drive. I am hoping that I can somehow finagle this suspension problem into them upgrading the shocks to the DFDs on the SX model :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 EX AWD and find that the ride is too harsh for my taste when the roads are not smooth and perfect. I know that KIA has addressed the problem with Sorentos made in late 2010, but mine was made before. Can I get the new dampers/shocks installed, and how much will that cost?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I AM FIXED. 01/19/2011 After complaining for 8 months to KIA directly, they sent my dealer 2 new DFD shocks to replace my noisy ones. First day out and it's like a car should be. No rattles over bumps and a much smoother ride. They were the 54650-1U500 & 54660-1U400 struts. The same ones that are on all the new Sorentos.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 (Titanium, 18" SX chrome rims, various mods)
43 Posts
I AM FIXED. 01/19/2011 After complaining for 8 months to KIA directly, they sent my dealer 2 new DFD shocks to replace my noisy ones. First day out and it's like a car should be. No rattles over bumps and a much smoother ride. They were the 54650-1U500 & 54660-1U400 struts. The same ones that are on all the new Sorentos.
Glad to hear KIA finally got this sorted out for you!

Out of curiosity, why are there 2 separate part numbers for the new and improved shocks? (54650-1U500 and 54660-1U400). :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am guessing there's a different one for left and right side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the exact noise I am getting with my 2011 Sorento EX, front end feels good, no pulling or anything, just a noisy sound passenger side front when going over small bumps., Looking under neath, starting to wonder if it is that plastic cover on the strut, it is not attached at the bottom of the strut, is that what is clunking? Do the struts and shocks need to be replaced? (165 K miles on vehicle, so far best car I have ever owned)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts