Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 mark vii 98 mark viii 05 ford f-350 super duty 03 e-350 conversion box truck 03 kia sorento ex
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Sorento 4x4 with 100,000 miles
Hello all,

Ok so as some of you may know from another thread, (http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/81330-2003-front-struts.html ) I have changed various front end suspension components in my 2003 Sorento with 100,000 miles. The ride was very rough and the vehicle was all over the road. I changed many parts however I still have heavy vibration and instability while going over rough patches in the road. It feels like when i hit a bump or a rough patch the car kinda hits hard with vibration and is very jumpy. I feel it mainly on both sides of the front end and more so on the passenger side. The vibration will then travel through into the rear of the vehicle. Im not sure if the rear also has issues or if its really just originating in the front and then traveling into the rear. Its very noticeable to say the least and i have to address it. On a smooth roadway it feels ok though. On the highway going 55 its smooth and no shaking of the wheel. There is no pulling and braking seems to be good with no vibration or pulling at all. I'm starting to think that possibly the lower control arms need to be replaced as they are the only components I can think of that haven't been changed. I did a visual on the bushings and they looked ok from what i could see but i know visual is not everything (especially being that they were not removed). I tried prying up on them but really couldn't find the right leverage to do so to check for play. I think the bushings are shot as i cant think of anything else. I'm on long island here and being in one of the rust belt states, i think the bushings are the main culprit. I'm sure the rears are bad too but one thing at a time.

Here is a list of parts that i have changed,
* Lower ball joints - both sides (passenger side had slight play and i don't believe in changing just one side).
* Inner and outer tie rod ends- both sides (pass side was shot)
* Front sway bar end links - both sides
* Front sway bar bushings - both sides (they were bad)
* Front Upper control Arms - both sides (driver-side bushings were torn up)
* Front shocks and springs - both sides.
* Rear Shocks - both sides
* Rear sway bar end links - both sides
* Rear sway bar bushings - both sides
* Rotated the tires.
* Recent brakes and rotors all 4.

After the install of all of the above, I had the car laser aligned right away. Obviously im leaning on changing the lower control arms but can anyone think of anything else that my be the culprit here? Sux i will have to pay for another alignment but it is what it is..
Thanks in advance! :)

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
You need to get a good pry bar on the lower c/arm bushings to see if they move at all. A bad front tire could cause that as well. If you haven't already tried,switch the front tries with the back.

·
Registered
88 mark vii 98 mark viii 05 ford f-350 super duty 03 e-350 conversion box truck 03 kia sorento ex
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires were rotated and were balanced. same results before and after. Im trying to pry on it with the car in ride height. I might need to get it up on the ramps and see.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried prying on them and i dont see any play. I even used a 2x4x8 on edge and tried to pry lift right under the control arms and nothing.. Im at a loss on what else it can be. :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts