Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
sedona 2009
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have abad wheel bearing and have it stripped down to where it's just the bearing hub assembly with the axle sticking out. My problem is I cant get the axle to back out at all and I have used a puller to do it to no avail. is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
So I have abad wheel bearing and have it stripped down to where it's just the bearing hub assembly with the axle sticking out. My problem is I cant get the axle to back out at all and I have used a puller to do it to no avail. is there something I'm missing?
You should have left the lower ball joint alone and took off the Two big bolts on the Knuckle to the Strut.
Then, you can have plenty angle to take off the Axle spindle out of it.

Now, you definitely have to get an alignment done after this. As long as you didn't touch the tie rod length and the left the lower ball joint alone, you don't really have to worry about the alignment.

Nevertheless, Do this.

1. Put the lower control arm back on, put the ball joint back on the knuckle.
2. Put the tie rod back on but do not tighten the nut.
3. Now, knuckle is pretty straight and solidly held.
4. Then, (if the spindle is rusted). First spray into the spindle and hub area some PB blaster or similar. let it soak.
5. take a cold chisel and put it at the dimple in the center of the spindle. Do not hammer it straight on the spindle. You will flare it and the spindle nut won't go back on.
6. then, hammer the spindle so that it breaks the rust and move back a little. Now you know spindle is free to move.
7. Then, take off the two big bolts on the strut to Knuckle. Take off the tie rod off of knuckle.
8. Swing the knuckle toward you and angle it, you will have room to take off the spindle that way. Push on the spindle.
9. Put the spindle to the side.
10. Put back the knuckle on the strut and put the bolt back on but do not tighten the nuts too much.
11. Put back the tie rod on and hand tighten the nut.
12. Now, you have a solid knuckle again.
13. Unbolt the bolts to the hub/bearing. Use PBblaster or similar to soak before.
14. If the hub does not come out even with bolts off, you need to get a straight chisel and put it between where the hub and Knuckle meet and hammer it.
15. if that does not work, you need to use Air Hammer. (Do you have an air compressor? I hope you do).
16. Air hammers are cheap at harbor freight.
17. Hub will come off.
18. change it to a new hub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts