Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Hopefully someone can help, I've tried the search feature and come up with a wide variety of possible faults but perhaps someone can help me narrow this down.

My wifes 2009 UK 2.5 Diesel Auto Sorento, with Part time 4WD won't turn it's front prop when 4wd or 4wd low is engaged. What it does do is makes a horrible noise as if gears ar not engageing and only the tips of teeth are rubbing each other. This noise is coming from the transferbox / front prop shaft area.

The air pump to the front diff is fine, the car drives nice and quietly in 2wd, and can get Low ratio, but with the same rubbing noise...it just won't turn the front prop shaft. I've heard that there is an electronic clutch pack in the transfer box but can't find out what happens when this fails.

When searching for the noise I did discover that the dealer hadn't checked the transfer case oil level and it took almost a litre to top it up!

I've tried switching into 4wd whilst driving and you get a second of this rubbing and then the impression that 4wd has engaged as everything is quiet, it's only when you then drive onto some snow and put a load through the system does it start the noise again as if something is slipping...but what? If someone said that it was the splines on the front prop shaft sliding joint that were chewed and slipping under load then that would make sense, but I don't know if it has a sliding joint, and would expect something in the transfer case to fail first. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Could be a number of things. Could be the clutch in the transfer case, could be a broken or stretched chain in the transfer case. It could be the splines on the front prob shaft, yes it does have a splined slip joint. It could also be the pneumatic dog clutch in the front diff.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
2009 UK diesel should have 2 universal joints on front propshaft, not sliding joint. (similar for both TOD and non-TOD for that territory spec).

Part time transfer case also has dog clutch type mechanism (rather than clutch pack as in TOD) - item 34 in attached - and refered to by Kia as 'lock-up collar assembly'.

There is a planetary gear system to enable LOW ratio and the stated chain to transfer drive to front output shaft.

I am guessing chain-drive or a bearing on front output shaft may be culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
2009 UK diesel should have 2 universal joints on front propshaft, not sliding joint. (similar for both TOD and non-TOD for that territory spec).

Ah thanks for that, mine has a slip joint on the front shaft with ordinary U joints. . I must admit I don't know why, because the diff doesn't move with the suspension like a live axle. Maybe that is why they replaced it with a plain shaft on later models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slipping teeth on the drive out of the transfer box, be it on the chain drive or elsewhere, does seem most likely, my wife says the ratcheting / graunching noise is less or even not there in reverse (if you put it straight into reverse after selecting 4wd in Neutral that it). I'd suspect that there would be an aweful lot more wear on the forward drive faces.

·
Registered
515 Posts
True, but normally I would expect to see that on a TOD unit, the part time units don't usually see nearly as much use. Even when I used to regularly go 4WD'ing I doubt that more than 1000, of every 10,000 KM I drove would have been in 4WD. I do realise in the UK in winter it would see more use than in here. Perhaps a previous owner has inappropritaely used it on dry roads. That would most certainly stretch the chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts