Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have just found out that my front right brake is binding. i have had problems before but it went away.now its worse
had new pads fitted about 8000 miles ago. and the right side has nearly worn away already. symptoms are vibrating as if i had a flat spot on the Tyre but then disappears. some squealing. red hot wheel. bad mpg
i am going to check out the caliper. but i have seen recent posts where the servo rod has been the cause of this on 2006 sedonas
and needing adjustment. any one else had this problem ?
question
has anyone done this adjustment and if you have is it a difficult task
thanks for any info

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Front brake rotors warp on the Sedonas VERY VERY easily. My LX has a warped rotor right now, as a matter of fact. I have had problems on my EX Sedona on each side with the piston seizing in the caliper. The front calipers are a 2-piston design. The left front caliper was replaced when I bought it, on the test drive it was binding badly. The other one I replaced at 164,000 miles, as the rear-most piston had seized. I would imagine you probably have a seized piston in your caliper.

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re front caliper sedona 2006

hi all
what a nightmare getting hold of a caliper for this car. cant find a second hand one. only a new one and kia want £320 for it. so i got to take a week of work dissmantle and send mine away to be reconditioned seems 2nd hand ones are in short supply over here. seen a few breakers but only got ist generation type dont want to do ebay for reasons
had to replace the pads even though there still binding. pistons are near solid.
OH THE JOYS OF MOTORING

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gregskia
yes you was right seized pistons and 1 warped caliper to go with it im trying to get a caliper but will have to wait a while i have only done 44000 miles. last set of pads only lasted 4500 miles.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It's too bad you can't find one second hand. You said you woudn't go through ebay, but when I replaced my right-side caliper, I found one on ebay for $60. So far it has lasted nearly 40k miles with no issues.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
How bad are Sedonas on brakes? I replaced my front pads at 44,000 miles and it looked like the pads were not original. My wife's Ford Escape went 55,000 miles on the original pads before I had to change them out.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My EX I bought at 131k miles with brand new brake pads/rotors has done 75% stop and go driving since I've had it. Mainly delivering newspapers from box to box. That one I've replaced pads twice, every 30k miles. Thankfully I'm not doing that anymore, but nearly 70k miles of delivering really tore that van up. My LX I bought at just under 200k miles. The previous owner ran all highway miles. It has factory rotors and is on its 3rd set of front pads, according to service records, and still has about 30% left on the factory rear pads. So, I guess how quickly the pads wear depends on how you are driving it. The front left rotor on my LX is warped, but I do all highway driving with that van, so I have no intention of replacing it until the pads are shot. I personally feel the brakes on the Sedonas are too small; I have run DOT 4 fluid in both of them since I've had them, since they get hot so quickly and easily. If I had continued delivering papers, I would have upgraded to DOT 5.1.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think ive just been unlucky the first time i changed my pads was about 39000 from new but i did not realize it was the caliper binding. i replaced them and the right side that's binding only lasted 4000 miles.if i had known i would have changed the caliper i have read in other forums that the right front caliper on this year and model seems to be troublesome for some reason. i dont know if it is do do with our cold icy roads in scotland and lots of salt being laid getting past the seals or maybe the brake fluid collecting water over the years. who knows. but its a pain and a horrible ride at the moment with a warped disc and brakes binding and i cant fix it till march when im on holiday as i need the car for work :mad:
i will change all the front end then and fluid

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2006 Sedona had the same brake issues. Chewing up pads/rotors and even caliper bolts snapping (ones that old the bracket to the frame).

I suggest just replacing the calipers, wish I would have done it earlier. First 100K miles I was replacing them about every 12-18K miles. Replaced both front calipers and getting about 40-50K out of them now.

I got mine on RockAuto.com, they were about $180/each but send the old ones back to get the core refund and they're about $75 each.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will mamtsberg its just unfortunate i have to wait until i have my holidays to do it as i gota send them away so the car will be off the road for sending away and re delivery ect

·
Registered
32 Posts
jackiain, you can order the new ones, have them delivered and installed once the old ones are off send them back to get the core charge.

You have to pay the full price up front but then they refund you the core charge back on your credit card.

I do a lot of my own work and once you have the new ones in hand they can be changed out in a couple of hours.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Ah yes.. the joys of Scottish winters :cool:

I'd recommend having a look on this website:

Welcome to Bigg Red

Personally I don't think it's good value to have calipers rebuilt - better off just buying one that's totally reconditioned then sending your old "core" caliper back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts