Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX FWD, 2014 Soul !
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - so we don't require front tags in SC, but we do love our college vanity plates. So I took a deep breath and attached the front license tag bracket using the provided self tapping screws into the little depressions in the plastic bumper (making permanent holes - ouch!). However, there are no screws provided to attach the tag to the bracket. There are little depressions where a self tapping screw would go through the plastic bracket, but no information on attaching the tag.

I went to several auto parts stores and the only screws they have specifically for this application are about 1 inch long. The way this bracket is designed, the top screws on a standard license tag would go through the bracket and then into the bumper creating MORE HOLES. Worse yet, the upper standard hole locations line up with the top of the bumper and may actually scrape along the bumper rather than just piercing it.

I'm sure there are folks out there in front tag states that can help me understand how this is supposed to work. Are there shorter self-tapping screws designed for this? Do I have to endure the indignity of further defacing the bumper? What makes this more challenging is that the tag I have is one of those heavy pewter ones that is thicker than a standard tag and definitely needs to be held at all four corners.

So I pretty much feel like an idiot asking this question, but . . . Help!!!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Err... shorter self tappers? Pop rivets might also be a neat and tamper-proof alternative.

-Or maybe short standard bolts in stainless steel with locking nuts; these nuts have a nylon insert that binds the nut in place. In the land of OZ, most cars come with threads built-in on the front bumper where either the top 2 holes of the plate will fit, or an adapter mount (usually plastic) will screw on. Plate then screws onto the mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts