Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SWP LX Sorento - 2005 big turbo Subaru STI - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO - Front license plate bracket

Does anyone know of an aftermarket option for the front license plate? Here in California we need a front plate by law :(

I did a quick forum and Google search to no avail. We have the OEM bracket that came with the car, id just like to not drill into the front bumper, and would like it off to the side if possible.

Coming from the land of Subaru, companies have made brackets that will screw into the front tow hook point. As far as I know, the Sorento does not have a front tow hook in the front bumper?

Thoughts/idea/leads? Maybe ill see if I can just make one if there isnt an option out there already.

---------------------------------------
EDIT:

I ended up buying a generic front bracket kit off Amazon. I posted how-to/pics starting in post 7. You can either scroll down or go straight to that post via this link: http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/271673-front-license-plate-bracket.html#post1646850

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD
271 Posts
I wish there was a decent plate bracket! Arkansas doesn't require a front plate but they drilled my front bumper and added a plastic one so they could put their dealer plate on it for advertising. I was going to take it off but the holes look like hell! Looks like some jack wagon who didn't know what he was doing drilled the holes. It looks better with it on so I left it, painted the dealer plate satin black and there it is... SMH

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
117 Posts
I wish there was a decent plate bracket! Arkansas doesn't require a front plate but they drilled my front bumper and added a plastic one so they could put their dealer plate on it for advertising. I was going to take it off but the holes look like hell! Looks like some jack wagon who didn't know what he was doing drilled the holes. It looks better with it on so I left it, painted the dealer plate satin black and there it is... SMH
That would have been a deal breaker for me. Foolishness at the dealership, now to have a unnecessary bracket to coverup the holes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya unfortunately ive heard of a lot of dealers doing that.

From looking around last night, other Kia models have similar plate brackets for them, but so far no support for the 16+ Sorento :(

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,935 Posts
May I suggest plastic trim plugs(black or painted to match) to fill and cover the holes IF plate is not needed. As for offsetting the plate location, Have you even tried the original one moved over? May only be a matter of plastic washers and longer fastener for any curvature difference for mounting holes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I ended up buying a generic bracket off Amazon ($22.99 when I bought it): https://amzn.to/2SMkxZj

Here's what was in the box:
IMG_20170317_173853_zps9iil7lvk

I made a step by step on how to remove the front fog light cover as this is where I wanted to try and mount the bracket. Fog cover removal here: https://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/271913-remove-fog-light-covers.html#post1646834

My plan was to use parts of the kit I bought. I found some old hardware in my garage (nut, bolt, and spacers) that was the same thread pitch as the extension pieces as seen in the bottom left in the pic above. My idea was to sandwich the fog cover between the bolt and the extension.

I drilled about a 1/4 inch hole in the foglight cover where I wanted to bracket to mount to. This hold was JUST SLIGHTLY smaller than the bolt I used, this way the bolt could partially thread itself into the softer plastic.
IMG_20170317_180436_zpse0vqids5

Here is the old hardware I had laying around my bin of random leftovers
IMG_20170317_180506_zpsbougs7dc

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any way to make it face forward? Or you dont want it to?
Doesnt bother me at all, I personally think it looks good off to the side like that.

But yes, you could. A couple ways to do it:

1- mount it to an already flat front facing surface

2- I could have used the longer extension that came in the box, and cut the bottom (where it mounts to the fog cover) at an angle to have the plate sit forward more. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,500 Posts
Doesnt bother me at all, I personally think it looks good off to the side like that.

But yes, you could. A couple ways to do it:

1- mount it to an already flat front facing surface

2- I could have used the longer extension that came in the box, and cut the bottom (where it mounts to the fog cover) at an angle to have the plate sit forward more. If that makes sense?
Clear as water. I guess I'm more of a symmetrical kind of guy lol...I've seen them on the side (like yours) but facing forward, one could think you hit something that pushed it sideways. But if you like it, that's what matters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clear as water. I guess I'm more of a symmetrical kind of guy lol...I've seen them on the side (like yours) but facing forward, one could think you hit something that pushed it sideways. But if you like it, that's what matters.
Yea the other ones ive seen that are off to the side but forward facing, usually bolt into the front tow hitch threading or have a plastic trim that mounts flush to the pumper, but levels the plate (thicker on one end than the other).

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,500 Posts
Yea the other ones ive seen that are off to the side but forward facing, usually bolt into the front tow hitch threading or have a plastic trim that mounts flush to the pumper, but levels the plate (thicker on one end than the other).
Understood. This one:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump because Photobucket and screw off. Links rehosted.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
640 Posts
Six bore holes - no front plate needed. Not real happy. two inner top holes drilled just to fit the dealership advertising plate. four outside ones plastic plate holder.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts