Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has experience this problem. Since new, my 2004 Sorento has had a front end vibration (like rotors warped) when braking when going downhill. No problems when braking on level or uphill condition. My dealer says to wait for them to investigate until it was time to fix the brakes?????? Not sure I quite understand this logic. If there is a problem, why would the dealership not want to fix it?

Anyone else experience this problem? Other than that, we love the vehicle. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny you should say that part about investigation because that’s exactly what my dealer said about a problem that I had that is different from your own. When I first bought our Sorento at the end of April this year it had a funny feel whenever accelerating from a stop (Spongy feel) like there was a lull in the engine between 1st and 2nd gear. Anyhow I was told that they would investigate it and get back to me. They haven’t contacted me since. The vehicle runs fine now so I’m not sure what it was. Just thought I would mention it.

Oh by the way just thought I would write and say that. I quit smoking and it’s been almost 2 weeks since my last cigarette! Oh God I’m dying for one! Anyone got a cigarette I can bum from you if so just push through your modem or blow some smoke at it for me? **** I need one bad I’d better go for a walk!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had the same thing happen to my 2005 sorento.i took it to the dealer and demanded new rotors.if you have less than 12,000 miles they are covered at no cost to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the wheel bolt torques. I find 75 ft/lbs works for me on my alloy rims.
Local garages tend to over torque the nuts when doing inspections,tire rotations,etc. I use a clicker torque wrench and do a complete re-check when I get home from any service station.

The Manual says:

Wheel Tightening torque:

90-120 N·m (9-12 kg·m, 65-86 Ib·ft).

Mine will throb if I exceed 75# by very much.

Works for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dorene

I got the same problem and went to my dealership to complaint and what they did was replaced the rotors. After 5K the same problem, and another set of rotors, and on and on. I was wondering if this is going to be like that for ten years warranty without any explanation of the problem. So, one day I decided to do some research myself. I discovered that the front brake pads was the problem. I replaced them for ceramic pads and problem solved. Our Sorento are so heavy that the brake pads are not good enough. They get overheated and at the end cristalized. It feels like the rotor is warped, but it is not. Replace all of them for ceramic and you will be happy. Good luck,

Jorge

PS. I don't know if you already solved the problem or quit on your Sorento, so I do apologize not to reply before.

·
Registered
07 Sorento
7 Posts
I had the same issues a couple years ago at about 40,000 on my 2007 sorento, replaced the pads & rotors (pads had cracks in them) I travel to work on a fairly steep hill and thought it was from excess heating & cooling from the rain. had a blue spot on the passenger side rotor only as was the vibration,have replaced pads & rotors twice since and still with the same problem rotors have been cut and shop said they were normal not warped I was thinking the caliper piston hanging but they always look & feel good, now thinking maybe slotted rotors or as someone said just a torque problem? I still have the problem today it seems to be in that middle pedal braking almost gives you the feel of a hanging piston or slider bolt. no odd tire wear and no drifting or pull just very confusing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts