Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Kia Amanti 3.5.

Vibration from front end only while accelerating. Can be felt throughout the vehicle.

Cruising at 65-70, no vibration. Decelerating, no vibration. That rules out tire balance.

As soon as the accelerator is depressed, even a little bit, the rhythmic vibration begins; only under load. The harder the acceleration the more pronounced the vibration.

Front end suspension components are all good, i.e. control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, struts, rack, etc. All tight, none broken. Engine mounts good. CV joint boots are not cracked open.

I'm wondering if perhaps it's a transmission issue, but there are no slipping, jerking, harsh or delayed shifts. All shifting patterns are normal. No noises.

I'm wondering if perhaps inner CV joint issue. Joints feel tight upon manipulating them up and down. No excessive end play in the shaft.

Anyone experienced this one?

Thanks,

P.S. Spent 10 years as a mechanic and five as a shop manager. Speak fluent shop talk.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Good description of problem. A worn inner CV might flex enough under acceleration to cause the effect; a worn outer CV would tend to clunk on sharp corners, but inner CVs run fairly straight and could "hide" a bad ball under most circumstances.

Could it be an engine vibration? i.e. Does the vibration frequency alter if you change to a lower gear and accelerate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good description of problem. A worn inner CV might flex enough under acceleration to cause the effect; a worn outer CV would tend to clunk on sharp corners, but inner CVs run fairly straight and could "hide" a bad ball under most circumstances.

Could it be an engine vibration? i.e. Does the vibration frequency alter if you change to a lower gear and accelerate?
Problem solved. Inner CV joint on the right side. Very easy to change. Three bolts and 45 minutes. Done.

Correction. Inner CV joint on the OUTER shaft. There are two shafts on the right side. The inner shaft is connected to the transmission and extends out about one foot (300 mm) to a carrier bearing. The outer shaft inserts onto the inner shaft. After removing the wheel, then the nut on the shaft and finally two bolts that secure the ball joint, the shaft was easily removed with a tap from a hammer on the inner joint.

Assembly was just as easy.

About as difficult as changing brake pads.

Gotta LOVE that Kia Amanti!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts