Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Kia Sephia RS with 86KM on the ODO. Car is relatively new to me. I had a heat shield noise from the front end that when I fixed that I noticed a more serious noise coming from there. It happens when you go over the irregular surface of local roads in New England. It is as if something is loose on the driver side wheel and hits the car; tak tak tak. It feels as a relatively heavy part is loose. On the freeway the car drives fine, tight steering; no wobble; no pull. Jumping up and down on 4 wheels would not reproduce the sound. I jacked the car up, wheel bearings and steering parts seem to be tight. Kicking the wheel while on the jack would not reproduce the noise. Kicking the wheel while on the ground reproduces what might be the noise (though softer, obviously). Took the wheel off, brake parts are tight and the strut/shocks are not loose either. Exhaust parts are all tight too. Could not feel any laxity in the engine or tranny (5spd manual). I want to narrow this down before the mechanic starts throwing new parts at it-budget is tight and time is limited too.
Any toughts appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yours might be the CV joints or the wheel bearing since it is worse on turns. Mine seems like is the front struts and not dangerous yet. Also only makes the noise when going over real bumpy stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts