Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blush: Hello to all, this is my first time to post and I do so hoping someone can help me. My 2004 Amanti has a front end knocking problem that the dealer can't seem to fix. I've had it in five times and the bushings have been replaced twice. I've read that this is a problem others have had. I would appreciate any help/information on the subject because although we otherwise really like the car, this is driving us nuts.
Thanks,
Philander

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
19 Posts
Had mine fixed for the same thing, i dont know the parts that were used to fix it, but heres the information thats on the service order

Customer states the right front strut has knocking when first take off - Had left front side fixed at another Kia dealer, Tech verified the right front strut was noisy- performed strut and lubed all suspension parts.

Job #1 Qty 2 Fp-Number 55337-3F800 Desc: Collar Unit Price: Warranty
Job#1 Qty 2 Fp-Number 54642-3F050 Desc: Bushing-Upper Unit Price Warranty

Hope this hels you a bit, I figure you can show this to the dealer, and maybie theres a part there that hasnt been replaced yet. I know that i no longer have the front end noise that i used to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Of the all the problems experienced by the the Amanti ( OF WHICH THERE HAVE NOT BEEN ALL THAT MANY GIVEN IT IS A TOTALLY NEW CAR) .... front end problems have plagued the Amanti. There are tons of posts that cover the problem and NOW FINALLY there are equally tons on fixes. Check out as many sites as you can and you will find the solution as well as any good dealer should be able to identify and rectify the problem easily. Do the research and walk into the dealer with the research info and you will be a happy camper. I had a problem with the front end of my Amanti ( bought Jan. 04) which was unlike the common complaint about the tennis ball in a metal can ( something like that) . Mine was a loud "CREAK" which was finally fixed after 5 visits with four rubber bushings no larger than washers for a faucet. One other recommendation which was very, very helpful was the involvement of a KIA regional rep who came in and checked out the car..........he identified the problem and suggested a fix in LESS THAT 5 MINUTES.....in summary...just do your homework!!!!!!!!! your problem is very common with a very common fix.................. rayray............. :57:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
:eek:fftopic: Hey rayray! I did get your email a few weeks ago but had problems getting it to go to your mailbox (?). Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I got it, and why you didn't receive a reply.

·
Registered
134 Posts
:57: KiaMech....don't know what happened....just wanted to to encourage you visit so as to keep us all focused and offer professional advice on any problems with the Amanti or other Kia product........your experience may save a whole lot of grief on all of us......Regards and keep in touch with the group........rayray :beer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same on girlfriend's Amanti.... Kia service we have received was horrible... In all the noise was finally fized on our 9th visit to the dealerships.

- replaced strut mount+top bushing - noise still there
- replaced strut - noise still there
- replaced sway bar bushings - noise still there
- replaced strut mount+top bushing again - noise still there
- i request a field tech - they tell me that they will not call one and tell me that the car is fine and safe to drive
- i go to different dealership
- replace strut again - noise still there
- tech tells me it is normal strut noise
- i call service manager and give him **** - he tells me to bring it in again and he will take a look at it
- go for a drive with him so he can see that the noise is definitely not normal
- turns out lower control arm bolts were loose - all they had to do was torque them down

To conclude: KIA techs are fucking idiots! I hate to think what would have happened if the bolts broke when driving...

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Don't generalize us. Maybe you think your techs are idiots, but at least they were trying to fix your problem. I'm sure those bolts weren't falling off, they just weren't torqued so the tech missed them. He wouldn't have been the one to loosen them anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with the tech's response. Although it must have been frustrating to have the problem missed by so many involved - it can happen. My thought is, at least they did find the problem, even after so many visits. Your situation seems to have been a fluke.

I hope you (& your girlfriend?) can finally enjoy the car and get over your understandable disappointment! :57:

-P

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
Had the same on girlfriend's Amanti.... Kia service we have received was horrible... In all the noise was finally fized on our 9th visit to the dealerships.

- replaced strut mount+top bushing - noise still there
- replaced strut - noise still there
- replaced sway bar bushings - noise still there
- replaced strut mount+top bushing again - noise still there
- i request a field tech - they tell me that they will not call one and tell me that the car is fine and safe to drive
- i go to different dealership
- replace strut again - noise still there
- tech tells me it is normal strut noise
- i call service manager and give him **** - he tells me to bring it in again and he will take a look at it
- go for a drive with him so he can see that the noise is definitely not normal
- turns out lower control arm bolts were loose - all they had to do was torque them down

I don't have much faith in my dealer service dept. (They said they never heard of any front end noise problem on Amanti) They did say they never even had an Amanti in for warranty work!(good thing I guess)... So, I don't want to go through the pain of back and forth with them, plus they are 40 miles away.

Anyways, I have the dreaded tennis ball in a tube noise from the front end too. (My build date is 03/04) It happens when going under 30mph (most often <10mph) when going over sharp bumps or series of bumps and when entering/exiting my driveway. I probably wouldn't have noticed the noise till I read this forum... Now it bothers me!

So, I ordered the top strut bushings and collars myself (cost only about $30). The new bushings are beefier and the collars are about 1/4" longer than the original parts.

I replaced them myself... No change, sound is STILL there... :(

So I'm wondering if you techs on here can help. Should I start torquing lower control arm bolts? How easy is it to change the lower strut bushings? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
Update

After seeing the informative thread about the TSB on this (and accompanying pictures) I have install the upper bushing the correct way (they were upside down).

The noise has been toned down and does not occur as often.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Give Kia a call and see if you can get a factory rep out to your dealer to do the sway bar spacer installation and all the noise will be gone. I am going to scan my service ticket into the computer now. Look for it in my original post. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts