Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX V6 AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
So I have read through a mess of posts of self described "Klunking" noises, and have taken a lot of advice from those.
My 2011 Sorento SX AWD has 100k on it so I knew the parts I was replacing were shot or ready to go, so either way I was ok with putting the time and money into it. So far I have replaced ball joint, inner and outer tie rods both sides, sway bar links both sides and sway bar bushings. It drives like new! But still have a klunk! I told them at the alignment shop and he checked all the majors and said all seemed well but without having time to pry around couldn't tell what it was.
I was thinking the control arm which visually seems fine, does anyone out there have any ideas? Is there a way to chexk it? It only klunks on the driver's side when I pull into my driveway on the slight dip at the end.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX V6 AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add, I have to make a left turn into my driveway

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all!
So I have read through a mess of posts of self described "Klunking" noises, and have taken a lot of advice from those.
My 2011 Sorento SX AWD has 100k on it so I knew the parts I was replacing were shot or ready to go, so either way I was ok with putting the time and money into it. So far I have replaced ball joint, inner and outer tie rods both sides, sway bar links both sides and sway bar bushings. It drives like new! But still have a klunk! I told them at the alignment shop and he checked all the majors and said all seemed well but without having time to pry around couldn't tell what it was. Mike Cross of AutoGuysLand reviews secondary air injection pump on their site. If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand for more info. I was thinking the control arm which visually seems fine, does anyone out there have any ideas? Is there a way to chexk it? It only klunks on the driver's side when I pull into my driveway on the slight dip at the end.
Thanks in advance
Here is your reference link that i think it can help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sorento AWD Platinum (2.2l CRDi)
1 Posts
Signed up just to say...

I did all the same as you.. car feels and handles like new but didn't fix the problem.

Turned out to be the only other thing the clunks on the front end which is the Intermediate shaft bearing. There is a difference between the 2wd and Awd model. To check it? Get your car on a hoist and hold the intermediate shaft firmly and shake it.. even the slightest play will cause the clunk when turning or hitting bumps

The Kia/Hyundai Parrt# for AWD is #49560-2P050 and only sell the shaft and bearing set together but there are aftermarket options (i'm from Australia so I got this):
ebay.to/33Ajthg

But I ended up returning mine as my mechanic inspected it all and the shaft play and only the bearing was stuffed.. got a matching replacement bearing from the local shop for AUD$44 instead, although leaving this unrepaired for long could cause damage to the splines from the shaft play

In saying that, you can order the bearing online from this store, I've also had to purchase the rear inner drum brake from this store in Lithuania as no one stocked it in Australia:
ebay.to/3biGlEB

But please do check your local part number as my vehicle is right-hand drive.

Hope this all helps. I'll admit, the only reason I managed to track it down to this problem was because I found USA forum links that indicated this was a recall item (not in Australia). My 2005 RD7 Honda CRV also had this exact same problem so I assume this happens to all vehicles with a Mid/Intermediate Shaft between the transmission and driveshaft.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento 3.5L V6 , 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew 5.4 4x4
11 Posts
I had a good clunk in my 2011 Kia Sorento. I was wearing tires out like mad. I knew my ball joints were bad but also the bushings on my control arms were shot. I ordered control arms with ball joint installed and it absolutly solved the clunk and tire wear issue. Easy to replace and pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
Kia sorento v6 EX 2011
2 Posts
hello . Can anybody help me out , i have sorento 2011 ex , especially on mornings , when i start my journey , the car automatically stops and there is rumbling sound coming from the left front wheel . this happens for a brief period as i apply brakes 2-3 times and the car becomes normal . i use it all day then but no issue . it happens once or twice in a week. One mechanic told me to change master cylinder but of no use . i took it to kia and even they cannot sort out the issue because it happens some times so when they test , its not occuring , traction control light and hill light is on but abs light is not visible on the meter ? Can somebody help me with this problem. i am freaking out with every new auto mechanic telling different stories . thanks

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX V6 AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I have been leaning towards the control arms. Does anyone know of the best way to check them for play?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX V6 AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Signed up just to say...

I did all the same as you.. car feels and handles like new but didn't fix the problem.

Turned out to be the only other thing the clunks on the front end which is the Intermediate shaft bearing. There is a difference between the 2wd and Awd model. To check it? Get your car on a hoist and hold the intermediate shaft firmly and shake it.. even the slightest play will cause the clunk when turning or hitting bumps

The Kia/Hyundai Parrt# for AWD is #49560-2P050 and only sell the shaft and bearing set together but there are aftermarket options (i'm from Australia so I got this):
ebay.to/33Ajthg

But I ended up returning mine as my mechanic inspected it all and the shaft play and only the bearing was stuffed.. got a matching replacement bearing from the local shop for AUD$44 instead, although leaving this unrepaired for long could cause damage to the splines from the shaft play

In saying that, you can order the bearing online from this store, I've also had to purchase the rear inner drum brake from this store in Lithuania as no one stocked it in Australia:
ebay.to/3biGlEB

But please do check your local part number as my vehicle is right-hand drive.

Hope this all helps. I'll admit, the only reason I managed to track it down to this problem was because I found USA forum links that indicated this was a recall item (not in Australia). My 2005 RD7 Honda CRV also had this exact same problem so I assume this happens to all vehicles with a Mid/Intermediate Shaft between the transmission and driveshaft.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts