Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have had my 2000 eBay bought Sportage for a couple of weeks and 400 miles now. I had the dealer fix the auto locking hubs and vacuum lines. (Warranty)

Today in the parking lot, I noticed that the front end clunked 3 or 4 times in a startling way when the wheels were turned at a pretty good angle. I was in 4x4 or had just recently shifted out of it.

Are my hubs going again? Actually I bought the Warn hubs, but I just haven't gotten around to replacing them, as the newly installed auto hubs are working fine for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
49,000 miles.

I think the Kia dealer just replaced the ball joints - I seem to remember them writing that on the paperwork (I picked up the Kia after hours, so I didn't talk to the techs about all that was done).

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CV boots are fine. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I was recently in 4x4 and now I am on dry pavement, and I am hard over with the wheel. Since they just replaced the ball joints, I would be pretty pissed if they just left bad CV joints there.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
When it clunked did the vehicle kinda jump or buck alittle? If so I think its because you were on dry pavement and the wheels where turned. I have got a Sorento and when I run in 4wd and then park it for the day I sometimes end up leaving it in 4wd. Then when I go to leave later on when the pavement is dry the vehicle does clunk a few times and its like it cant really go anywhere and it bucks and shakes a little. Then I am like oh crap it is still in 4wd. Once it is in 2wd it is fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You had drivetrain bind because you were in 4WD on dry pavement. And when you shift from 4H to 2H it sometimes doesn't shift out of 4WD immediately.

It's nothing to worry about unless you do it often. And then you'll damage drivetrain components. Part time 4WD is for poor traction conditions only. Things like snow, mud, sand. Dry or rain slick roads do not qualify.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More clunking.

This time on the way home from work, I started to hear some scraping noise when ever I turned a certain angle to the right. Then, during that scraping noise, I heard some serious clunking. Like the front end was going to fall off.

Its going in for more warranty service. I wonder if they didn't put something together properly when they were in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts