Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while servicing the sorento today i found i could turn the front drive shaft freely (infinate amount of revoltions) with the front wheels on the ground

i am used to the old system where if the wheel were on the ground the drive shaft would not rotate

i read on some review somewhere it had "auto locking hubs" but when i rotate the front driveshaft even the axle shafts do not turn.

some new auto locking system in the differental ? or is something broke ! :blush:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
There's a vacuum hub in the front differential that locks when you select 4-wheel drive. Being able to turn the front drive shaft is perfectly normal. If you pop your hood and look just behind the drivers side headlight, you will see the pump that operates it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by KiaMech@Sep 15 2005, 12:27 AM
There's a vacuum hub in the front differential that locks when you select 4-wheel drive. Being able to turn the front drive shaft is perfectly normal. If you pop your hood and look just behind the drivers side headlight, you will see the pump that operates it.
thanks, i wondered what that device was behind the headlight, again thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im assuming this is an LX model with the standard transfer case, and not the EX model with the shift on the fly transfer case, correct?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by loco5@Sep 15 2005, 09:19 AM
Im assuming this is an LX model with the standard transfer case, and not the EX model with the shift on the fly transfer case, correct?
this is an EX without the lurury option ( no TOD) just part time 4 wd, but it is shift on the fly into 4 wheel hi

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by beyond_help@Sep 15 2005, 07:30 AM
this is an EX without the lurury option ( no TOD) just part time 4 wd, but it is shift on the fly into 4 wheel hi
My bad, I forgot it was the luxury option that contained the TOD. That does NOT move as you pointed out. As it is a automatic full time all wheel drive type system.

My Amigo does the same thing up front that you described, as it has the same type of vacuum actuated central axle disconnect, along with the transfer case vacuum disconnect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts